20 year old in hospital
after swerving to dodge a turkey on Granite Hill Rd. Here's the annual lesson: The turkey, has made it's choice.
swerve?LaughingLaughing You can't hit those bastards if you try. They're a lot faster than they look.Big Grin
Trying to dodge a bear put a guy in the hospital, out by me. If you're really sure you can pull it off.
Okay. I've done that. But, best just to let them be the victim. This is a thing you should work out in your head, long before it's necessary.
One of the first things I learned as a young driver (16) from the big city (San Diego) spending the summer in GP with my Uncle and Aunt (out N. Applegate Rd.) was NEVER EVER SWERVE! No matter how much you don't want to hit or kill an animal, it's almost always worse to swerve.
(04-05-2013, 08:12 AM)Scrapper Wrote: One of the first things I learned as a young driver (16) from the big city (San Diego) spending the summer in GP with my Uncle and Aunt (out N. Applegate Rd.) was NEVER EVER SWERVE! No matter how much you don't want to hit or kill an animal, it's almost always worse to swerve.

Well that's what they teach truck drivers. But if a person REALLY knows how to drive and knows how their vehicle handles... then yes you can swerve.
I'm missed all kinds of animals and cars of by swervingSmiling and only lost control once. But yes the best advice is to tell drivers to not swerve.

The"once" was a black horse in my lane at night. There was no time to break, I swerved in to the oncoming lane, missed the horse but I had to cut back in to my lane too sharp to avoid an oncoming car .
so I went spinning like like Jim Rockford. I did two donuts but stayed in my lane... some how.
Red hit a horse in a Falcon. His first day out of the navy. But he showed up in my ER at Balboa, new civilian or not. Acid was still legal, at the time. I put three hundred stitches in him, on acid. The whole top of his skull was layed bare. And, the plastics man was innebriated. But, he couldn't have done what I did, sober. I was the best surgeon in triage at DaNang. As an E-3 Corpsman. That's as much an indication of how bad service medicine is, as how good I was.