Today in Baseball/American History
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives"
-Jackie Robinson.

Today in 1947, he became 1st African-American in MLB!
(04-15-2013, 10:03 AM)Clone Wrote: "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives"
-Jackie Robinson.

A truly exceptional man! His story is in some ways the beginning of a slight change is racial attitudes that would later follow. Many biographers feel he paid dearly for holding his emotions in check when faced daily with the hostility he had to endure. His health started failing early, and the stress must have taken it's toll.

Many baseball pundits who are "purists" about the game feel it was a shame he was black, because his "baseball story" would have been great based only on his play. He was blessed with speed, but as baseball people know, speed alone does not a great base runner make. His baseball intelligence and intuition contributed a lot to his greatness. His general intelligence made him a valued teammate and a admired citizen. He also married well, and that never hurts.

It's tragic that many young black ballplayers had to be told about him. And of course equally tragic that any ballplayer had to be told. But, it's a sad truth that many gifted young athletes are self centered and know far too little about the world around them, even "their" world.

"42", the movie, is getting rave reviews from many critics, less so from baseball critics, but I will see it for sure.

PS: For those who like baseball, Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers, I highly recommend "Wait Till Next Year" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. (She of "Team of Rivals"). An easy read, it's delightful in too many ways to count, and one does not need to be a Dodger fan to enjoy it.
The Dodgers will all be wearing the number 42 during their game tonight...very cool.
(04-15-2013, 12:09 PM)cj2112 Wrote: The Dodgers will all be wearing the number 42 during their game tonight...very cool.

"Fans will see more of that number on jerseys before the next couple of days are out. All the teams in action — there were eight night games on the schedule, in addition to the Rays-Red Sox day game — were asked to wear Robinson's number on the 66th anniversary of his breaking the color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Teams that didn't play on Monday planned to pay tribute Tuesday.

The anniversary is drawing special attention this year with the release of the film "42" about Robinson, which went into wide release over the weekend."

I think ALL teams have agreed to wear number 42.
(04-15-2013, 12:27 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(04-15-2013, 12:09 PM)cj2112 Wrote: The Dodgers will all be wearing the number 42 during their game tonight...very cool.

"Fans will see more of that number on jerseys before the next couple of days are out. All the teams in action — there were eight night games on the schedule, in addition to the Rays-Red Sox day game — were asked to wear Robinson's number on the 66th anniversary of his breaking the color barrier with the Brooklyn Dodgers. Teams that didn't play on Monday planned to pay tribute Tuesday.

The anniversary is drawing special attention this year with the release of the film "42" about Robinson, which went into wide release over the weekend."

Jeese Louise, how are we gonna tell them apart?
(04-15-2013, 12:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-15-2013, 12:27 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Jeese Louise, how are we gonna tell them apart?

On radio or TV the broadcasters will do it for you. Laughing

If you go to the ball park, at the beginning of the game they announce each position player by number AND by name. On your scorecard you ALWAYS list the player by name, his position in the batting order, and the position he plays in the field.
So, if the first batter (number 42), playing 2nd base, hits the ball to the shortstop who throws the ball to the first baseman before the batter/runner reaches the base, your score card would read:

#42 - 4- Television Guy - X 6-3.

Love,

Louise Razz
(04-15-2013, 11:59 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(04-15-2013, 10:03 AM)Clone Wrote: "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives"
-Jackie Robinson.

A truly exceptional man! His story is in some ways the beginning of a slight change is racial attitudes that would later follow. Many biographers feel he paid dearly for holding his emotions in check when faced daily with the hostility he had to endure. His health started failing early, and the stress must have taken it's toll.

Many baseball pundits who are "purists" about the game feel it was a shame he was black, because his "baseball story" would have been great based only on his play. He was blessed with speed, but as baseball people know, speed alone does not a great base runner make. His baseball intelligence and intuition contributed a lot to his greatness. His general intelligence made him a valued teammate and a admired citizen. He also married well, and that never hurts.

It's tragic that many young black ballplayers had to be told about him. And of course equally tragic that any ballplayer had to be told. But, it's a sad truth that many gifted young athletes are self centered and know far too little about the world around them, even "their" world.

"42", the movie, is getting rave reviews from many critics, less so from baseball critics, but I will see it for sure.

PS: For those who like baseball, Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers, I highly recommend "Wait Till Next Year" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. (She of "Team of Rivals"). An easy read, it's delightful in too many ways to count, and one does not need to be a Dodger fan to enjoy it.

My son and I went and watched the movie on Saturday night. Excellent, excellent movie. Jackie put up with entirely too much. His wife was a rock for him. Good stuff. And he was a Dodger!

My weekend consisted of my son hanging out with me at my softball tournament during the day on Saturday, he and I going to dinner and seeing the movie after that, and me coaching him in his double header on Sunday. Good weekend. Good weekend.

I am probably going to go see the movie again because the DW didn't feel like going with us. So we will HAVE to go see it again.
(04-15-2013, 01:09 PM)BeerMe Wrote:
(04-15-2013, 11:59 AM)Wonky Wrote:
-Jackie Robinson.

My son and I went and watched the movie on Saturday night. Excellent, excellent movie. Jackie put up with entirely too much. His wife was a rock for him. Good stuff. And he was a Dodger!

My weekend consisted of my son hanging out with me at my softball tournament during the day on Saturday, he and I going to dinner and seeing the movie after that, and me coaching him in his double header on Sunday. Good weekend. Good weekend.

I am probably going to go see the movie again because the DW didn't feel like going with us. So we will HAVE to go see it again.

They tell me Football is now the most watched American sport. (Excluding cars going around in a circle; I'll maintain until my last breath that waiting for a car crash is not a sport).
But it's Baseball that ties us together, generation after generation. It's still our national "pastime". No clock, unfolding one pitch at a time it has the potential to build drama like no other sport.
On July 1, 1989, the day Teddy Roosevelt led the charge up San Juan Hill, the Cubs beat Cincinnati 3-2 in 10 innings. The Green Bay Packers were not even an idea. The Boston Celtics were still trying to learn to dribble a cows udder.

Baseball. Because God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Of course I know Ben Franklin said that about beer: He wanted us to enjoy it at a baseball game)
(04-15-2013, 06:59 PM)Wonky Wrote: They tell me Football is now the most watched American sport. (Excluding cars going around in a circle; I'll maintain until my last breath that waiting for a car crash is not a sport).
But it's Baseball that ties us together, generation after generation. It's still our national "pastime". No clock, unfolding one pitch at a time it has the potential to build drama like no other sport.
On July 1, 1989, the day Teddy Roosevelt led the charge up San Juan Hill, the Cubs beat Cincinnati 3-2 in 10 innings. The Green Bay Packers were not even an idea. The Boston Celtics were still trying to learn to dribble a cows udder.

Baseball. Because God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Of course I know Ben Franklin said that about beer: He wanted us to enjoy it at a baseball game)

Yep.
Great post, Wonky.
I don't follow the stats and all that...but going to the ballpark, drinking and spilling a few beers, munching peanuts and wolfing down hot dogs is a great way to spend a few hours. Not to mention being able to yell like a hyena.
Get your back settled down and I'll take you to a Giants game. I've never seen AT&T Park!
(04-15-2013, 07:26 PM)Clone Wrote:
(04-15-2013, 06:59 PM)Wonky Wrote: They tell me Football is now the most watched American sport. (Excluding cars going around in a circle; I'll maintain until my last breath that waiting for a car crash is not a sport).

Yep.
Great post, Wonky.
I don't follow the stats and all that...but going to the ballpark, drinking and spilling a few beers, munching peanuts and wolfing down hot dogs is a great way to spend a few hours. Not to mention being able to yell like a hyena.
Get your back settled down and I'll take you to a Giants game. I've never seen AT&T Park!

The beauty of Baseball is that one can accept it on so many terms.
The casual fan can simply enjoy the obvious (hard hit balls, great defense) and have a great time.
There are some things I dislike about how the game is marketed. That cities must finance most of the cost of the ballparks, the prices at the ballpark at very high, only the wealthy get the really good seats, and while the capitalist systems is all about getting as much as one can, the salaries are pure greed compared to that of working people.

But, it's baseball. I can't "quit it". I just don't go to the Major League games. I enjoy the minor league games but unfortunately the closest stadium of any worth is Salem/Kieser (Giants short season single A). The stadium in Eugene is old and worn, uncomfortable, and poorly lighted. (Or was when I was last there).

Should you be in Sacramento during the summer, The A's triple A ball-club (River Cats) have a beauty of a ball park! A great family friendly park and not a bad seat in the house.

Stating in mid June, we will have the Rouge's, a league of college players who want to develop skills during the summer. On a perfect summer night it will be hard to beat. These guys are not chopped liver and it should be good baseball.(Played at Harry & David field in south Medford on Old 99)
(04-26-2013, 09:26 PM)Wonky Wrote: There are some things I dislike about how the game is marketed. That cities must finance most of the cost of the ballparks, the prices at the ballpark at very high, only the wealthy get the really good seats, and while the capitalist systems is all about getting as much as one can, the salaries are pure greed compared to that of working people.

The amount of money paid to some ball players is obscene and to basically extort it from the fans is a crime.
I know you aren't in to MMA fighting but I watch the fighters as they move up the ranks and when they get to a championship fight the only way to watch is pay per view at right about 50 bucksSad, Live? Who knows.
(04-27-2013, 11:45 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-26-2013, 09:26 PM)Wonky Wrote: There are some things I dislike about how the game is marketed. That cities must finance most of the cost of the ballparks, the prices at the ballpark at very high, only the wealthy get the really good seats, and while the capitalist systems is all about getting as much as one can, the salaries are pure greed compared to that of working people.

The amount of money paid to some ball players is obscene and to basically extort it from the fans is a crime.
I know you aren't in to MMA fighting but I watch the fighters as they move up the ranks and when they get to a championship fight the only way to watch is pay per view at right about 50 bucksSad, Live? Who knows.

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts, for those who aren't attracted to blood and gore) is okay. But, why not just let them come into the cage with knives?
Next year: Guns.
(04-27-2013, 09:32 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(04-27-2013, 11:45 AM)tvguy Wrote:

MMA (Mixed Martial Arts, for those who aren't attracted to blood and gore) is okay. But, why not just let them come into the cage with knives?

Guns and knives? The very term “Mixed martial arts” means unarmed combat.

No disrespect intended but your ignorant on the subject if you think it's simply blood and gore.
No one gets killed as a matter of fact their is compelling evidence that this sport is less harmful to it's athletes than boxing. I don't know about the "gore" but yes sometimes there is blood. There has always been blood in boxing also so if you are upset about seeing blood than this sport isn't for you.

This sport started with very few rules and was at that time portrayed as a blood sport.
Today participants hands are wrapped with gauze, wear 4 oz gloves, protective cups for the groin and mouth pieces.
Any fighter can (tap out) quit ant ANY time. This is NOT a no holds barred unregulated sport. Here are some of what is not allowed

Butting with the head
Eye gouging of any kind
Biting
Spitting at an opponent
Hair pulling
Fish hooking
Groin attacks of any kind
Putting a finger into any orifice or any cut or laceration of an opponent
Small joint manipulation
Striking downward using the point of the elbow
Striking to the spine or the back of the head
Kicking to the kidney with a heel
Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea
Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh
Grabbing the clavicle
Kicking the head of a grounded opponent
Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent
Stomping a grounded opponent
Holding the fence
Holding the shorts or gloves of an opponent
Using abusive language in fenced ring/fighting area
Engaging in any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes injury to an opponent
Attacking an opponent on or during the break
Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee
Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the round
Timidity, including, without limitation, avoiding contact with an opponent, intentionally or consistently dropping the mouthpiece or faking an injury
Throwing opponent out of ring/fighting area
Flagrantly disregarding the instructions of the referee

I like the sport because IMO it's a sport that has been around longer than any other. What did they do in the REAL Olympics? It seems every tribe or culture around the world has their own fighting styles and competitions.
This sport is a compilation of ALL of those fighting styles and only the top in physical and mental training excel. You would be surprised to know how many champions are college educated.
(04-27-2013, 09:32 PM)Wonky Wrote: MMA (Mixed Martial Arts, for those who aren't attracted to blood and gore) is okay. But, why not just let them come into the cage with knives?

What a truly ignorant statement.
(04-29-2013, 08:38 AM)BeerMe Wrote:
(04-27-2013, 09:32 PM)Wonky Wrote: MMA (Mixed Martial Arts, for those who aren't attracted to blood and gore) is okay. But, why not just let them come into the cage with knives?

What a truly ignorant statement.

Well hells bells, Beer guy, what do you expect? I've been posting truly ignorant opinions here for years. You're the first to ever point it out, because most folks know about me and don't bother.

But, notice I use my spell-checker and hardly ever make a spelling mistak. And too, ignorant just means I don't know jack. Stupid means I don't have a chance of learning about Jack.

And now, back to baseball. The game that requires some attention to detail.
He wedged open the door for The 64 Cardinals. My happiest memory of baseball. Perhaps, not The Yankee's happiest memory.