Gun causes C.P. elementary school lockdown
Gun (accidentally?) left near Central Point elementary school, causing a lockdown and investigation.

From what I can gather from the little bits of news and the comments on them, someone probably left their handgun sitting on the trunk of their car (when they unpacked the car at the end of the hunting or shooting trip?), then drove to the school while the gun stayed on the car's trunk the whole way, causing a bit of a problem when someone discovered it.

http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stor...6284.shtml

http://www.district6.org/jes/
Now there's a responsible gun owner for you.
My how times change. It seems like only yesterday when we thought nothing of going hunting early in the morning and then going to Crater, parking in the parking lot with the guns in the back window and no one thought anything of it. Off to class we went. Not only that, but to my knowledge, no one ever had one stolen. The school wasn't locked down, the SWAT team wasn't called and no one got their panties in a twist.

Of course, at that time, Jim Corliss was the only cop in town although I do think he had a couple of other guys that helped him out on occasion.

Yep.

My how times change.
(04-16-2013, 09:07 PM)imaham Wrote: My how times change. It seems like only yesterday when we thought nothing of going hunting early in the morning and then going to Crater, parking in the parking lot with the guns in the back window and no one thought anything of it. Off to class we went. Not only that, but to my knowledge, no one ever had one stolen. The school wasn't locked down, the SWAT team wasn't called and no one got their panties in a twist.

Of course, at that time, Jim Corliss was the only cop in town although I do think he had a couple of other guys that helped him out on occasion.

Yep.

My how times change.

Now you are an assumed criminal, just for owning a gun.

Yes. Times have changed.
(04-16-2013, 09:07 PM)imaham Wrote: My how times change. It seems like only yesterday when we thought nothing of going hunting early in the morning and then going to Crater, parking in the parking lot with the guns in the back window and no one thought anything of it. Off to class we went. Not only that, but to my knowledge, no one ever had one stolen. The school wasn't locked down, the SWAT team wasn't called and no one got their panties in a twist.

Yep.

My how times change.

Well, yes the times have really changed.
Did you know there have already been 13 shootings either in or adjacent to colleges in the U.S. in 2013 so far?
There is no going back to Mayberry, we have to find a solution for the present, yes?

Yep.

My how times change.

Yup. Times have changed a lot. We always had our rifles and/or shotguns in the trunk or the gun rack at GPHS during hunting season in the late 60's and early 70's when I attended.

And, I'd never heard of a school shooting massacre. Guys and occasionally gals would settle their differences behind the school at lunch or after school with fists and tough talk, not 9mm's. Shopping centers were pretty new still, but I'd never heard of anyone gunning down innocents for no apparent reason at Monkey Wards or Payless Drugs. The Rogue Theater was the only one we had in GP then. No one had ever gone berserk and shot a bunch of people there either.

Unfortunately times have indeed changed. But one thing that hasn't for most, thankfully, is that we need to take all precautions to keep children safe, and that means adjusting with the times and changes in society.

My hat is off to the folks at the CP Elementary. For the record, I think it more accurate to say"Presence of gun causes C.P. Elementary Lock down". Gun's don't cause anything. They are inert objects and this one was simply laying on the surface of a car, causing nothing.
I guess Boston had a little "presence of bomb" recently, too. (Or was that usage of bomb?)
(04-17-2013, 09:33 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I guess Boston had a little "presence of bomb" recently, too.

Yup, and the detonation of said bomb caused a horrific tragedy. And, the fact that you would attempt to make this connection is more than a little tactless and distasteful in my opinion. Embarrassed
They both kill with power propelled by explosion. But now you know how non-gun owners feel about you guys obsession, too.
(04-17-2013, 09:43 AM)PonderThis Wrote: They both kill with power propelled by explosion. But now you know how non-gun owners feel about you guys obsession, too.

You are wrong again when you label me "obsessed", and arrogant in pretending to speak for "non-gun owners" in general, rather just your own myopic view as a non-gun owner.
You get points though for consistency. You are consistently wrong about many guns and many gun owners and non-gun owners alike, yet consistently offensive in your stereotypes and ignorance driven judging of others.
(04-17-2013, 09:31 AM)gapper Wrote: My hat is off to the folks at the CP Elementary. For the record, I think it more accurate to say"Presence of gun causes C.P. Elementary Lock down". Gun's don't cause anything. They are inert objects and this one was simply laying on the surface of a car, causing nothing.

While you are correct, I was trying to make sure it would fit in the available space for a title.
(04-17-2013, 09:53 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(04-17-2013, 09:31 AM)gapper Wrote: My hat is off to the folks at the CP Elementary. For the record, I think it more accurate to say"Presence of gun causes C.P. Elementary Lock down". Gun's don't cause anything. They are inert objects and this one was simply laying on the surface of a car, causing nothing.

While you are correct, I was trying to make sure it would fit in the available space for a title.

Good point and one that hadn't entered my mind. I've had the same issue at times. Thank you for the clarification.
*moved to different location.