Ashland School Buses
So today I had reason to be in Ashland Twitch and I found myself driving up Morton street behind a school bus. So the bus stops and its amber lights start flashing for what seems like forever and then finally the red lights flash and a kid jumps out and skips the 3 steps to his door. He seemed like a decent kid... still too young to know he needed to act "weird"... being from Ashland and all. So the kid was safely tucked into bed and the bus decided to move. We proceeded up Morton St. all of 2 doors... then... another excruciatingly long amber light warning, then red lights... another kid delivered safely to his doorstep. Once that kid reached puberty we released our brakes and proceeded 100 feet to the corner, (where the bus parked diagonally across) and waited forfuckingever before letting yet another cherub off at his designated "spot of least walking." Unfortunately, the bus veered off route from where I was going and I didn't get to witness the decline of civilization as relates to kids actually have to be anywhere away from their "safety zone" for more than a nano-second.

WTF is going on here?
Kids who won't grow up to be meth addicts and felons?
BZ might be able to answer this, but it has something to do with the school district and bus laws. Or so I was told. Can't be more specific because I don't really know. Yeah. You don't want to behind a schoolbus in the afternoon.
Most primary school age children are dropped off in front of their houses. As the age goes up, so the distance they are dropped from their houses. In high school a student may have to walk 2-5 blocks to get home. All children in self-contained special education classrooms are dropped off in front of their houses. It's a safety issue. Each bus company or school district has different rules.
Look on the bright side, you didn't lose life or limb from a bomb today.
Perspective.
(04-17-2013, 08:31 PM)gapper Wrote: Look on the bright side, you didn't lose life or limb from a bomb today.
Perspective.

I just take a different route.
School but drivers are required to turn on the amber lights for five minutes per child and then the red ones for another five.
They are not to get out of their seat until the bus has come to a complete stop and weeds grow under the bus.
Once the door is opens and the little bastard gets out the bus shall not leave until the child is safely in his house playing a video game and eating sugar coated cereal from the box.
At which time the child shall text the bus driver all of the above is completed.
As soon as this is verified by the parents they will come out and talk to the driver and discuss how good or bad the weather is that day.
(04-18-2013, 04:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: School but drivers are required to turn on the amber lights for five minutes per child and then the red ones for another five.
They are not to get out of their seat until the bus has come to a complete stop and weeds grow under the bus.
Once the door is opens and the little bastard gets out the bus shall not leave until the child is safely in his house playing a video game and eating sugar coated cereal from the box.
At which time the child shall text the bus driver all of the above is completed.
As soon as this is verified by the parents they will come out and talk to the driver and discuss how good or bad the weather is that day.

Kids that are not allowed to experience life turn into helpless grown-ups
(04-18-2013, 06:46 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(04-18-2013, 04:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: School but drivers are required to turn on the amber lights for five minutes per child and then the red ones for another five.

I sure hope you didn't take that attempt at humor seriously, however your response leads me to believe perhaps you did.
Hyperbole, bullshit, babble, call it what you will, it ain't reality, though.
(04-18-2013, 06:53 PM)gapper Wrote:

I sure hope you didn't take that attempt at humor seriously, however your response leads me to believe perhaps you did.

Attempt?Rolling Eyes Anyway I'm pretty sure GCG totally knows I was joking. And why do I care about realty?

Yeah, let them walk to school or a least a block or two. Watch them but don't let them knowEyebrows.
Today we are afraid to let kids learn like we did.
I let my 14 year old grand kid drive may car around where I live, alone Razz He did really good because he knew he had better or elseSmiling. And he will probably never forget it.
(04-18-2013, 07:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Attempt?Rolling Eyes Anyway I'm pretty sure GCG totally knows I was joking. And why do I care about realty?
Well I would hope so but since he quoted your uuhhhh...... yarn, I'm not so sure.
With all due respect, don't quit your day job to be a comedian.. .Rolling Eyes
(IF you have one!!!!Razz)
And I have to admit I forgot my college days mantra: "Reality of for those that can't handle drugs".Big Grin
(04-18-2013, 07:09 PM)gapper Wrote:

Well I would hope so but since he quoted your uuhhhh...... yarn, I'm not so sure.
And I have to admit I forgot my college days mantra: "Reality of for those that can't handle drugs".Big Grin

I'm not sure what you were trying to say to GCG Or why you thought it's important to say you missed the humor etc. I think some times you just have a crappy attitude.Razz
I hope you aren't one of those people who don't thinks Benny Hill was funnyLaughing
(04-18-2013, 07:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-18-2013, 06:46 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Kids that are not allowed to experience life turn into helpless grown-ups

I'm not sure what you were trying to say to GCG Or why you thought it's important to say you missed the humor etc. I think some times you just have a crappy attitude.Razz
Hormones and stress. Can't you EVER show any compassion?!?!?!
Quote:I hope you aren't one of those people who don't thinks Benny Hill was funnyLaughing
I hopes your not one of them people that gradiated from a public school.
TwitchLaughing
(04-18-2013, 07:21 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-18-2013, 06:53 PM)gapper Wrote: I sure hope you didn't take that attempt at humor seriously, however your response leads me to believe perhaps you did.

Quote:I hope you aren't one of those people who don't thinks Benny Hill was funnyLaughing
TwitchLaughing

Actually yer in luck cuz I only made to the leventh gradeBig Grin
(04-18-2013, 07:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-18-2013, 07:21 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-18-2013, 07:03 PM)tvguy Wrote: Attempt?Rolling Eyes Anyway I'm pretty sure GCG totally knows I was joking. And why do I care about realty?

TwitchLaughing

Actually yer in luck cuz I only made to the leventh gradeBig Grin
Cool
(04-18-2013, 06:46 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Kids that are not allowed to experience life turn into helpless grown-ups

I hope you aren't one of those people who don't thinks Benny Hill was funnyLaughing

I quoted tvguy because his was the only reply that saw the absurdity in how the buses are forced to operate. His humor was in the same vein as mine was in the OP.

My point was pretty simple: In the effort to protect our kids from anything and everything, we are doing considerable to harm to their futures.
(04-18-2013, 07:52 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(04-18-2013, 06:53 PM)gapper Wrote: I sure hope you didn't take that attempt at humor seriously, however your response leads me to believe perhaps you did.

I quoted tvguy because his was the only reply that saw the absurdity in how the buses are forced to operate. His humor was in the same vein as mine was in the OP.

My point was pretty simple: In the effort to protect our kids from anything and everything, we are doing considerable to harm to their futures.

The problem is, "we" aren't doing that.
I can go along with "some", but not we, it's too inclusive and unfair to those that aren't coddling kids, And there are many that aren't, just as there are many that are.
(04-18-2013, 07:56 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-18-2013, 07:03 PM)tvguy Wrote: Attempt?Rolling Eyes Anyway I'm pretty sure GCG totally knows I was joking. And why do I care about realty?

I can go along with "some", but not we, it's too inclusive and unfair to those that aren't coddling kids, And there are many that aren't, just as there are many that are.

WE are as a society.That's my opinion. I remember what it was like when I was a teen. And what I knew how to do and had experienced.
Many years later I get today's kids as an apprentice or even when I look at my own grand kids. And it's a whole nother ball game today.
One obvious result is kids health today.
(04-18-2013, 07:56 PM)gapper Wrote:

Oh FFS... some of us are fucking up a lot of kids... all in the name of protecting them.

Go head and pick that apart if you want. I've had enough RVF fun for one night.