Spread This Message So All Can Enjoy!
Perfect weather, too.

[Image: 72122_360793750706601_1271938785_n.jpg]
I think that I heard somewhere that these meteor showers often happen when the earth intersects with the tail of some comet that went by in the past. The meteors are really little particles of dust and debris that flew, (melted or evaporated), off of comets as they approached the sun.
(04-21-2013, 06:09 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I think that I heard somewhere that these meteor showers often happen when the earth intersects with the tail of some comet that went by in the past. The meteors are really little particles of dust and debris that flew, (melted or evaporated), off of comets as they approached the sun.

That's the silliest thing I've heard,
They are the spirits of dead relatives coming to say hello and spread good fortune.
(04-21-2013, 06:14 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 06:09 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I think that I heard somewhere that these meteor showers often happen when the earth intersects with the tail of some comet that went by in the past. The meteors are really little particles of dust and debris that flew, (melted or evaporated), off of comets as they approached the sun.

That's the silliest thing I've heard,
They are the spirits of dead relatives coming to say hello and spread good fortune.

All of my relatives are alive, so I guess I won't bother watching the show.
I'm just thinkin' on the shortest distance to avoid the Grants Pass lights.

I can't remember if there are any places up around Galice where the sky opens up, where it isn't in a valley.
(04-21-2013, 06:38 PM)Clone Wrote: I'm just thinkin' on the shortest distance to avoid the Grants Pass lights.

I can't remember if there are any places up around Galice where the sky opens up, where it isn't in a valley.

Wouldn't out 199 and up 8 Dollar Rd be closer?

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42...6&t=h&z=16
(04-21-2013, 06:56 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 06:38 PM)Clone Wrote: I'm just thinkin' on the shortest distance to avoid the Grants Pass lights.

Good idea....of course, the coast would be spendid.
It's supposed to hit 80 in Brookings tomorrow.
(04-21-2013, 08:02 PM)Clone Wrote:

Good idea....of course, the coast would be spendid.
It's supposed to hit 80 in Brookings tomorrow.

Sea level? I think you are much better off to be at a high elevation.The less atmosphere you have to look through the better. Especially moist coastal weather.
(04-21-2013, 08:08 PM)tvguy Wrote: Sea level? I think you are much better off to be at a high elevation.The less atmosphere you have to look through the better. Especially moist coastal weather.

You're right...

I think we should have a meteor viewing gathering.

Smoke some fatties, or not, and lie on the warm hoods of our cars and look at the sky. Smiling
Can't.
Re-run of "Car 54, Where Are You" is on at that time and my recording device is inoperative. Sad
(04-21-2013, 08:36 PM)Wonky Wrote: Can't.
Re-run of "Car 54, Where Are You" is on at that time and my recording device is inoperative. Sad

I completely understand.

199 and 8 dollar rd is pretty far south of me, I guess Sunny Valley would be to far away to get a good view.
(04-21-2013, 08:30 PM)Clone Wrote:
(04-21-2013, 08:08 PM)tvguy Wrote: Sea level? I think you are much better off to be at a high elevation.The less atmosphere you have to look through the better. Especially moist coastal weather.

You're right...

I think we should have a meteor viewing gathering.

Smoke some fatties, or not, and lie on the warm hoods of our cars and look at the sky. Smiling

You can't get on new car hoods any more, too thinSad
(04-21-2013, 08:36 PM)Wonky Wrote: Can't.

Yes because your VHS is flashing 12:00 oclock like it has since you bought it 18 years ago.Razz BTW did you figure out how to record with your eight track player yet?
(04-22-2013, 01:03 PM)tvguy Wrote: You can't get on new car hoods any more, too thinSad

'Get on' or 'get it on'? Happy
(04-22-2013, 01:06 PM)Clone Wrote:
(04-22-2013, 01:03 PM)tvguy Wrote: You can't get on new car hoods any more, too thinSad

'Get on' or 'get it on'? Happy

One might damage the hood. The other would for sureRazz
So, what time should we get out of bed to see this event? Will it be visible in our hemisphere?
(04-22-2013, 03:44 PM)TennisMom Wrote: So, what time should we get out of bed to see this event? Will it be visible in our hemisphere?

Exactly 1:22 amRazz It says midnight to dawn in this article....

By: Mike Wall
Published: 04/04/2012 07:44 AM EDT on SPACE.com

Skywatchers are in for a treat in late April: An annual meteor shower will peak when the moon's absence leaves the night sky dark and great for viewing.

The Lyrid meteor shower peaks overnight from April 21 to April 22, with the best observing coming between midnight and dawn on the 22nd local time, experts say. The moon will be new at this time, so the Lyrids' bright flashes won't be drowned out by the glare of Earth's nearest neighbor.

The Lyrids will be visible all over the world. NASA officials estimate a maximum meteor rate of about 15 per hour, but the number could be higher or lower than this. The Lyrids are quite unpredictable, with maximum rates ranging from 10 to 100 meteors per hour over the years.

Meteor showers are generated when Earth plows through streams of debris shed by periodic comets on their path around the sun. The chunks of debris die a fiery death in our planet's atmosphere, leaving bright streaks in the sky to commemorate their passing.
(04-22-2013, 04:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-22-2013, 03:44 PM)TennisMom Wrote: So, what time should we get out of bed to see this event? Will it be visible in our hemisphere?

Exactly 1:22 amRazz It says midnight to dawn in this article....

By: Mike Wall
Published: 04/04/2012 07:44 AM EDT on SPACE.com

Skywatchers are in for a treat in late April: An annual meteor shower will peak when the moon's absence leaves the night sky dark and great for viewing.

The Lyrid meteor shower peaks overnight from April 21 to April 22, with the best observing coming between midnight and dawn on the 22nd local time, experts say. The moon will be new at this time, so the Lyrids' bright flashes won't be drowned out by the glare of Earth's nearest neighbor.

The Lyrids will be visible all over the world. NASA officials estimate a maximum meteor rate of about 15 per hour, but the number could be higher or lower than this. The Lyrids are quite unpredictable, with maximum rates ranging from 10 to 100 meteors per hour over the years.

Meteor showers are generated when Earth plows through streams of debris shed by periodic comets on their path around the sun. The chunks of debris die a fiery death in our planet's atmosphere, leaving bright streaks in the sky to commemorate their passing.

So, that was last night....