Waiter! There's a Cicada in my Soup!
[Image: 134248300.jpg]

The cicadas are coming, the cicadas are coming! This spring, the Brood II perennial cicada will surface after 17 years of their underground hibernation. Rather than squashing the protein-rich insects underfoot, some experts suggest planning dinner around them. Jenna Jadin and the 2004 University of Maryland Cicadamaniacs have compiled a cookbook [PDF] to help you: The recipes range from "El Chirper Tacos" to "Cica-Delicious Pizza," and should provide plenty of inspiration for adventurous home cooks.

Still wary of putting bugs on the table? Entomologist Gaye L. Williams points out that cicadas belong to the same family of arthropods as shellfish like lobsters and shrimp, "and people don't think twice about that." They're a versatile ingredient, and popular preparations run the gamut from a dry-roasting to deep-frying to dipping in chocolate.

Female cicadas, ripe with fat and eggs, are more substantial than their male counterparts, but both are free sources of protein, and available in excess for a limited time only. Perennial cicadas emerge in spring and typically survive for about a four-to-six-week life span, which means the clock is ticking for the potentially delicious insects. Get cooking.

From your pals at www.mentalfloss.com
Here?
(04-23-2013, 10:42 AM)Clone Wrote: [Image: 134248300.jpg]

The cicadas are coming, the cicadas are coming! This spring, the Brood II perennial cicada will surface after 17 years of their underground hibernation. Rather than squashing the protein-rich insects underfoot, some experts suggest planning dinner around them. Jenna Jadin and the 2004 University of Maryland Cicadamaniacs have compiled a cookbook [PDF] to help you: The recipes range from "El Chirper Tacos" to "Cica-Delicious Pizza," and should provide plenty of inspiration for adventurous home cooks.

Still wary of putting bugs on the table? Entomologist Gaye L. Williams points out that cicadas belong to the same family of arthropods as shellfish like lobsters and shrimp, "and people don't think twice about that." They're a versatile ingredient, and popular preparations run the gamut from a dry-roasting to deep-frying to dipping in chocolate.

Female cicadas, ripe with fat and eggs, are more substantial than their male counterparts, but both are free sources of protein, and available in excess for a limited time only. Perennial cicadas emerge in spring and typically survive for about a four-to-six-week life span, which means the clock is ticking for the potentially delicious insects. Get cooking.

From your pals at www.mentalfloss.com

So Clonie, what's the Cicades doing in your soup? (Drum roll please)
Do I need a hunting license?
What should I use for bait?
[quote='chuck white' pid='279359' dateline='1366778073']
Do I need a hunting license?
What should I use for bait?
[/quote

No Chuck, the thing goes back to to iniquity.

Customer: Waiter, what is this fly doing in my soup.

Waiter: I think it' the backstroke sir.
So.....will we get a cicada hatch here???
Sounds like soup is a good bait.
(04-24-2013, 09:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote: So.....will we get a cicada hatch here???

EarthSky Science News says "A large brood of 17-year periodical cicadas (genus Magicicada) is expected to emerge this spring across portions of eastern North America including Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Virginia."

Cool Photos here too. http://earthsky.org/earth/large-brood-of...-393629449
(04-23-2013, 10:42 AM)Clone Wrote: [Image: 134248300.jpg]

Eeew they look like flies.
They are huge and gross. When we lived in the Bahamas, they'd start that horrible noise the minute the temperature got up to 76 (?) which was early in the summertime. They were so loud we couldn't hear each other outside. I am not a bug person at the best of times but these things can be really annoying, although harmless.
I remember them when we lived in Maryland. Crunch, crunch, CRUNCH!! Smiling
(05-05-2013, 01:33 PM)Crazylace Wrote: I remember them when we lived in Maryland. Crunch, crunch, CRUNCH!! Smiling

With chocolate, you would have the making of a candy bar.
(05-05-2013, 09:28 AM)TennisMom Wrote: They are huge and gross. When we lived in the Bahamas, they'd start that horrible noise the minute the temperature got up to 76 (?) which was early in the summertime. They were so loud we couldn't hear each other outside. I am not a bug person at the best of times but these things can be really annoying, although harmless.

This thing was in a tree by my house making so much racket that at first I thought it was a bearing going out on my attic exhaust fanLaughing

I reached up and pulled the tree limb down and took this pictureBig Grin

[Image: locust_zps314fa9df.jpg]
EW EW EWWWW GROSS WHY DID I LOOK AT THIS TOPIC AGAIN. Horrible photo.

There was an article in today's Newsday about how the northeast and Hudson Valley will inundated with billions of these things when the ground temperature reaches exactly 64 degrees. If they hit Long Island, I will forfeit my annual visit in August. Ninja
(05-07-2013, 04:01 PM)TennisMom Wrote: EW EW EWWWW GROSS WHY DID I LOOK AT THIS TOPIC AGAIN. Horrible photo.

LaughingLaughing
(05-07-2013, 06:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-07-2013, 04:01 PM)TennisMom Wrote: EW EW EWWWW GROSS WHY DID I LOOK AT THIS TOPIC AGAIN. Horrible photo.

LaughingLaughing

Hey TV, what ya wanna bet she has never drank six or eight beers and eaten one of these babies. Salty. Makes you want another beer.

Hint: Don't chew any longer than necessary.
I feel like the girl at the cafeteria table across from the boys who like to open their mouths with food in them to gross me out. (That always worked, btw). Happy

Further information on this subject includes the fact that they will be around for six weeks once they emerge. I will go back east for a visit when they've gone and not one minute before that.

We're going up to Coos Bay for the weekend. DH doesn't want to drag the rig over there so we'll be staying in a hotel. I intend to bring my silk-sleeping sack in case there are bedbugs. The luggage all goes into the bathtub, not on the floor and not near any curtains. I peel the sheets back to have a look at the mattress just in case. I may bring my own pillow.
(05-08-2013, 04:17 PM)TennisMom Wrote: I feel like the girl at the cafeteria table across from the boys who like to open their mouths with food in them to gross me out. (That always worked, btw). Happy

Did we go to the same school? Big Grin
(05-09-2013, 12:22 PM)chuck white Wrote: Did we go to the same school? Big Grin

You and tvg were those nasty boys? Figures. Smiling

So, my DH moved the fly bag to a different location in the yard. Right outside the bathroom window. Time to close the shade.