Another one, I mean a good reason to HAVE a gun
(04-24-2013, 03:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: So what good did the police catching the guy do for the mans bleeding brain?

Quote:Rowan More good than the gun did them
Quote: TVguy
Bullshit the phone call did NOTHING for him or his wife,

(04-24-2013, 04:00 PM)gapper Wrote: I disagree, and it appears the police disagree, based on this account of what happened in the article:

You quoted the article Gapper, I read the article. Please tell me in your words what good the phone call do these people. And remember I already admitted and gave Rowan credit for the call sending the ambulance.
(04-24-2013, 04:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-24-2013, 03:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: So what good did the police catching the guy do for the mans bleeding brain?

(04-24-2013, 04:00 PM)gapper Wrote: I disagree, and it appears the police disagree, based on this account of what happened in the article:

You quoted the article Gapper, I read the article. Please tell me in your words what good the phone call do these people. And remember I already admitted and gave Rowan credit for the call sending the ambulance.

The phone call precipitated an officer being en-route, who in turn encountered the criminal trying to get a way and pursued the criminal. In his effort to escape the pursuing officer the criminal crashed and was able to be quickly apprehended and arrested, resulting in the victims money being recovered. Given the call was still live when the phone was knocked to the floor, the ensuing talk by the criminal was recorded and will probably be valuable in prosecuting the criminal, hopefully preventing him the opportunity to return to the victim's home for revenge, and or to steal from them and others.
(04-24-2013, 03:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-24-2013, 03:44 PM)csrowan Wrote: You mean the 911 call didn't end up sending the police and an ambulance to their house?

You mean having the gun would have magically protected them and they couldn't possibly have gotten hurt?

I bet you would have scratched the bad guys eyes out right? Yeah sure the phone call got an ambulance on the way. I'll give you that much.

I guess it's too much to get an Ashland liberal to admit the gun could have EASILY prevented the NEED for an ambulance.
I guess it's too much to ask you to understand that this home owner could have been dead when the ambulance arrived because he went for a phone and not the gun.

Okay. Stop knee-jerk reacting and actually pay attention to the words I'm typing.

Yes. A gun COULD have helped them.
It also COULD have been wrested from their hands and used against them.
It also COULD have created an escalation of violence if they guy had his own gun.
It also COULD have been used in domestic violence instead.
It also COULD have been locked in a box under the bed upstairs while they were awake downstairs.

The very first thing you wrote in your OP was this:
"Maybe I should post here every single time someone could have or should have had a gun."

And the next post was, in fact, someone saying that they DID have a gun.

And even though I already acknowledged that a gun COULD have helped, you refuse to acknowledge than it COULD have made things worse. You're so gung-ho on the subject that you can't step back and see the larger picture.

And you accuse me of being close minded?
Reasonableness is gone. This thread has devolved into is it good to have a gun or not have a gun. There is no place in most of these gun discussions for people like me that think it is fine to own a gun for self protection, but also think banning large ammo clips and military style assault rifles is also a good thing considering the carnage we have recently seen. So, Freddy and I are going back to the garden to drink a beer and admire our work. And I don't mean to take the conversation in another direction.
(04-24-2013, 04:18 PM)gapper Wrote:
(04-24-2013, 04:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The phone call precipitated an officer being en-route, who in turn encountered the criminal trying to get a way and pursued the criminal. In his effort to escape the pursuing officer the criminal crashed and was able to be quickly apprehended and arrested, resulting in the victims money being recovered. Given the call was still live when the phone was knocked to the floor, the ensuing talk by the criminal was recorded and will probably be valuable in prosecuting the criminal, hopefully preventing him the opportunity to return to the victim's home for revenge, and or to steal from them and others.
OK the money, didn't think of that. What good money if you are dead? But my point was and still is.... as far as getting your brain bashed until it bled, being beaten and shocked with a stun gun the phone call didn't do anything to prevent that.
(04-24-2013, 04:44 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Reasonableness is gone. This thread has devolved into is it good to have a gun or not have a gun. There is no place in most of these gun discussions for people like me that think it is fine to own a gun for self protection, but also think banning large ammo clips and military style assault rifles is also a good thing considering the carnage we have recently seen. So, Freddy and I are going back to the garden to drink a beer and admire our work. And I don't mean to take the conversation in another direction.

What a "military style" assault rifle? is that different than an assault rifle?

Quote:This thread has devolved into is it good to have a gun or not have a gun.

That was my intention dude.Razz
Quote:Rowan...
The very first thing you wrote in your OP was this:
"Maybe I should post here every single time someone could have or should have had a gun."

And the next post was, in fact, someone saying that they DID have a gun.

And even though I already acknowledged that a gun COULD have helped, you refuse to acknowledge than it COULD have made things worse. You're so gung-ho on the subject that you can't step back and see the larger picture.

And you accuse me of being close minded?

Good grief. Wearing seat belts can make things worse. The same is true for air bags. Anyone can nit pic and find an exception to the rule.

In MY humble opinion ANYONE who can't admit or see that if this man would have HAD his gun when they opened the door that things PROBABLY would have turned out better... just can't admit there is anything of value in having a gun.

What am I supposed to say? People shouldn't have guns cuz they might drop them... cuz they might forget which end bullet comes out of.
Ah, so you've changed your position from 'having a gun makes you safer' to 'having a gun loaded, safety off, and pointed at someone when you open the door makes you safer'.
(04-25-2013, 03:18 PM)csrowan Wrote: Ah, so you've changed your position from 'having a gun makes you safer' to 'having a gun loaded, safety off, and pointed at someone when you open the door makes you safer'.

My position is the same. If you have a gun be ready to use it when you need it. If you don't then just figure on the real possibility of having the same thing happen to YOU as happened these people. The cops will not save you. If someone beats your door down or for what ever reason you let them in. A gun in the hand beats the hell out of a telephone.

BTW yes you are damn right. If someone comes to my door at 4:am. My gun will indeed be in my hand, loaded with the safety off. But no not pointed at anyone, yet.
csrowan.. How are you prepared to protect your self in the event someone breaks in to your home in the middle of the night? Just curious what your plan of action would be?
Go out the window and call the cops.
(04-25-2013, 07:46 PM)csrowan Wrote: Go out the window and call the cops.
Oh that's right, Ashland has cops that come to the rescue. I used to have a plan similar to that.
(04-25-2013, 03:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-25-2013, 03:18 PM)csrowan Wrote: Ah, so you've changed your position from 'having a gun makes you safer' to 'having a gun loaded, safety off, and pointed at someone when you open the door makes you safer'.

My position is the same. If you have a gun be ready to use it when you need it. If you don't then just figure on the real possibility of having the same thing happen to YOU as happened these people. The cops will not save you. If someone beats your door down or for what ever reason you let them in. A gun in the hand beats the hell out of a telephone.

BTW yes you are damn right. If someone comes to my door at 4:am. My gun will indeed be in my hand, loaded with the safety off. But no not pointed at anyone, yet.

Funny stuff. The very thing that got the guy killed in the other thread is something you endorse. Would you or the police win in your mythical shootout?

Don't you think considering what the thread is about that HoneyhalfWitch implied that what happened to the people in the OP happened to you? And how would you respond when running was not an option.
Like if YOU were the old man in the OP. Would you still run and call the cops leaving your wife in your dust?Razz
(04-25-2013, 08:13 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(04-25-2013, 03:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Funny stuff. The very thing that got the guy killed in the other thread is something you endorse. Would you or the police win in your mythical shootout?

The other thread was a VERY VERY rare event you dork.

In 1892 Igor Boris Slavetlew was struck in the head my a Meteorite while chopping wood in Siberia.
So now that you know this are you going to wear a helmet the rest of your life.

Just go ahead and leave you hat and common sense at the door when ever you log on to this forum.
(04-25-2013, 08:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Don't you think considering what the thread is about that HoneyhalfWitch implied that what happened to the people in the OP happened to you? And how would you respond when running was not an option.
Like if YOU were the old man in the OP. Would you still run and call the cops leaving your wife in your dust?Razz

Don't you think since she asked me specifically what I would do if someone broke into my home that you're way off base?

However, if running was not an option, I would speak calmly, tell them to take what they want, and call the police after they were gone.

If they got agressive, I'm 6'5" and used to be trained in Aikido. Thinking of taking it up again now that I'm healthy. But if they've got a weapon, I won't do anything unless it looks like I'll be attacked. I value my life too much to risk it with heroics that aren't necessary.

I'll freely admit that if I were a woman in an empty house in rural JoCo, I might make some very different choices.
speak calmlyLaughingLaughing yeah Rowan you go ahead with that logic when it's a meth head with a stun gun and a knife.

In your scenario who is breaking in? A couple of pushy Jehovah witnesses Laughing
(04-25-2013, 08:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: speak calmlyLaughingLaughing yeah Rowan you go ahead with that logic when it's a meth head with a stun gun and a knife.

In your scenario who is breaking in? A couple of pushy Jehovah witnesses Laughing

Read. Use your brain. Something to do with being 6'5" and knowing Aikido...
In 1895, there were two cars in the state of Ohio. They collided.

If we would have stopped it there, how many lives could have been saved?