Got A Venom Extractor Handy?
Okay, this was in Alabama, we don't have these kind of rattlers, but....still.....

==============================

From the Facebook page; "Gettin' Outdoors Show With Big Daddy Lawler"

Chad just got out of the hospital today, this happened Sunday in Montgomery County Alabama:

[Image: 379780_512988465402981_1333949931_n.jpg]

To all my friends who hunt, camp, or spend time in the woods:

The pic above is of my left leg after being struck by a 6ft timber rattler today while turkey hunting. The snake bit through my hunting pants and Muck Boots (I usually wear snake boots when turkey hunting, but could not locate them this morning). The initial bite felt like being hit in the calf by a baseball bat at full swing followed by excruciating pain radiating out from the bite wounds. Fortunately, I carry a snake bite extractor kit in my turkey vest, and was able to remove the majority (I guestimated 3-4 cups) of the venom contaminated blood. Following the instructions from the kit, I kept my heart rate down as best I could, and slowly limped the 200 yds to my vehicle, and was able to drive myself to the hospital which, thank the good Lord, was about 20 min away. Once there, I was administered the anti-venom, antibiotics, ect.

ER Doc told me that, based on the distance between the two fang punctures and their diameter and depth, if I had not used the venom extractor kit, I would have died before I ever made it to my truck. So, if you do not already own one, I want you to go to a sporting goods store and purchase a venom extractor kit ASAP. I bought mine at academy and it was around $10.00. I would urge you to buy a couple. Put one in each vehicle in your household, in your hunting or hiking pack, and especially your B.O.B. ect,,,,they are about the size of a bar of soap and can literally save your life or someone you love. Please don't blow this off. Do it tomorrow!!!!

I am spending one night (hopefully) in the hospital, and may require some minor surgery to remove any damaged tissue from the poison, but that is a far cry from losing my leg or passing through the pearly gates!!!!

Respectfully, Your Friend,
Chad Cross
(04-27-2013, 08:52 PM)Clone Wrote: Okay, this was in Alabama, we don't have these kind of rattlers, but....still.....

Chad just got out of the hospital today, this happened Sunday in Montgomery County Alabama:

The pic above is of my left leg after being struck by a 6ft timber rattler today while turkey hunting. The snake bit through my hunting pants and Muck Boots (I usually wear snake boots when turkey hunting, but could not locate them this morning). The initial bite felt like being hit in the calf by a baseball bat at full swing followed by excruciating pain radiating out from the bite wounds. Fortunately, I carry a snake bite extractor kit in my turkey vest, and was able to remove the majority (I guestimated 3-4 cups) of the venom contaminated blood. Following the instructions from the kit, I kept my heart rate down as best I could, and slowly limped the 200 yds to my vehicle, and was able to drive myself to the hospital which, thank the good Lord, was about 20 min away. Once there, I was administered the anti-venom, antibiotics, ect.

ER Doc told me that, based on the distance between the two fang punctures and their diameter and depth, if I had not used the venom extractor kit, I would have died before I ever made it to my truck. So, if you do not already own one, I want you to go to a sporting goods store and purchase a venom extractor kit ASAP. I bought mine at academy and it was around $10.00. I would urge you to buy a couple. Put one in each vehicle in your household, in your hunting or hiking pack, and especially your B.O.B. ect,,,,they are about the size of a bar of soap and can literally save your life or someone you love. Please don't blow this off. Do it tomorrow!!!!

I am spending one night (hopefully) in the hospital, and may require some minor surgery to remove any damaged tissue from the poison, but that is a far cry from losing my leg or passing through the pearly gates!!!!

Chad Cross

I think timber rattle snakes ate found in the north east USA and this was in Alabama. The only reason I know this is that I once killed a rattle snake who was green and I always thought it was a Timber rattler until I was corrected. There are sub species of the Western rattle snakes that we have here.
So anyway maybe that was a Eastern diamond back? They are by far the biggest and can bite through a boot but I think the ones we have here in Oregon are just as deadly as whatever that was.
(04-27-2013, 08:52 PM)Clone Wrote: Okay, this was in Alabama, we don't have these kind of rattlers, but....still.....

Chad Cross

I think timber rattle snakes ate found in the north east USA and this was in Alabama. The only reason I know this is that I once killed a rattle snake who was green and I always thought it was a Timber rattler until I was corrected. There are sub species of the Western rattle snakes that we have here.
So anyway maybe that was a Eastern diamond back? They are by far the biggest and can bite through a boot but I think the ones we have here in Oregon are just as deadly as whatever that was.

Edit, never mind. Apparently there are timber rattle snakes in Alabama. I could have sworn they were a north Eastern thing.Smiling

Crotalus adamanteus (5).jpg Crotalus adamanteus eastern diamondback rattlesnake Viperidae Yes High
Timber Rattlesnake Image 004.jpg Crotalus horridus timber rattlesnake
canebrake rattlesnake
I was amazed by this description:

The initial bite felt like being hit in the calf by a baseball bat at full swing followed by excruciating pain radiating out from the bite wounds.

That snakes head must be travelling at an incredible speed when it strikes, eh? Wow! I don't ever want to be bitten by a snake.

When I walk out in the woods I always use a walking stick which I tap on the ground frequently. It gives my snake friends a chance to get out of my way. Smiling
Venom Extractors suck.
(04-28-2013, 09:23 PM)chuck white Wrote: Venom Extractors suck.

You've heard the old joke about the hunter who was bit on his penis, right?

His companion ran to a phone to find out what to do and was informed by the doctor to suck the venom out of the wound.

He ran back to the campsite where his bitten friend desperately asked: "So? What did the doctor say????"

"You're gonna die, my friend."