How Can Poor Folk Afford to Fish?
At least in California, I don't know what license cost in Oregon.

I bought my son a fishing license, no ocean deepwater stuff, just a sport fishing license with a Sturgeon tag in California.

$54! For a fishing license!

I have no trouble realizing where that money goes, it's a good cause, but how are poor people supposed to afford it? Are there programs or something?
(04-29-2013, 12:31 PM)Clone Wrote: At least in California, I don't know what license cost in Oregon.

I bought my son a fishing license, no ocean deepwater stuff, just a sport fishing license with a Sturgeon tag in California.

I have no trouble realizing where that money goes, it's a good cause, but how are poor people supposed to afford it? Are there programs or something?

A saltwater only license is cheaper.

I used to abalone dive and I believe you need an additional tag for that.
Seems to me I made less than $30, We could take 4 abalones a day, I heard it's been dropped to 3 a day. Still a good deal.
(04-29-2013, 12:31 PM)Clone Wrote: At least in California, I don't know what license cost in Oregon.

Quote: I don't know what license cost in Oregon.

$33.00

It's $46.93 without the sturgeon tag in California.Yeah I know that's still high as far as coming up with it. But as far as how much food you can get it's probably still a good deal.
(04-29-2013, 12:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: A saltwater only license is cheaper.

I don't think they have that anymore.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/lic...ishing.asp

Quote:Angling License Fees - Resident - Nonresident

Angling License $33.00 $106.25

Juvenile Angling License (age 14-17) $9.00 $20.25

Senior Citizen Angling License (70 and older, Oregon resident for 5 years) $15.00 ---

Two Rod Angling License $17.00 $17.00

Combined Angling Harvest Tag $26.50 $26.50

Juvenile Angling Harvest Tag (17 and under) $8.50 $8.50

Hatchery Harvest Tag *** $16.50 $16.50

1 Day Angling License **** $16.75 $16.75

2 Day Angling License **** $31.50 $31.50

3 Day Angling License **** 46.25 46.25

4 Day Angling License **** $58.00 $58.00

7 Day Angling License **** --- $59.75

*** Must have Angling License and Combined Angling Harvest Tag to purchase Hatchery Tag
Less than a dinner out for two, generally speaking, yet good for the year.
Smiling
(04-29-2013, 01:23 PM)gapper Wrote: Less than a dinner out for two, generally speaking, yet good for the year.
Smiling

i know, I know.
I just personally know folks who have a hard time coming up with money for bread, milk and gas.

I was just hoping there was some sort of program to help poor folks get fishing license. What a great way to supplement their diet with real food!
(04-29-2013, 01:30 PM)Clone Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 01:23 PM)gapper Wrote: Less than a dinner out for two, generally speaking, yet good for the year.
Smiling

i know, I know.
I just personally know folks who have a hard time coming up with money for bread, milk and gas.

I was just hoping there was some sort of program to help poor folks get fishing license. What a great way to supplement their diet with real food!

I agree. It would be nice if they could volunteer in some manner to pay for their fishing licenses.
There may be, but if so, I am unaware of it.
Smiling

i know, I know.

How are they able to buy the rod, reel, bait, other tools of the trade? The license is the cheapest part.
(04-29-2013, 01:34 PM)gapper Wrote:
Smiling

i know, I know.

I agree. It would be nice if they could volunteer in some manner to pay for their fishing licenses.
There may be, but if so, I am unaware of it.

It sounds good on paper. How about saying that anyone who currently qualifies for food stamps can get a license for half of the normal cost?
Or maybe a program that allows then to obtain a fishing license every 6 months so they would only need to cough up $33.50.

I don't know but It seems like if they could volunteer somewhere they could also go to a spot labor/day labor place and just earn the cash.
(04-29-2013, 01:43 PM)BeerMe Wrote:
Smiling

i know, I know.

How are they able to buy the rod, reel, bait, other tools of the trade? The license is the cheapest part.

Well a person can yard sale most of that or they may already have it. Plus you can dig worms for free or catch night crawlers. I think Clone is referring to the initial cost of a license.

I've probably caught hundreds of carp with dough balls made from WheatiesLaughing So da po folk could buy bait with food stampsRazz I never ate the carp but hey we're talking about the poor.
i spoke to a guy who got several Bass out of our little lake here in the mobile park...his bait was worms soaked in garlic oil! Big Grin
I guess our Bass are Italian Bass!
(04-29-2013, 01:55 PM)Clone Wrote: i spoke to a guy who got several Bass out of our little lake here in the mobile park...his bait was worms soaked in garlic oil! Big Grin
I guess our Bass are Italian Bass!

I guess the garlic can make the fish find it easier, bass fishing is at it's peak he could probably catch fish with spaghetti noodlesRazz This time of year any respectable fisherman would be slaying the bass with luresBig Grin
Give a man a fish and make him eat the head first and he will never want eat fish again.

Teach a man to fish and the dummy will sit there all day drinking beer and trying to catch fish when he could be doing something useful with his time.

An old Texas proverb.
(04-29-2013, 05:24 PM)Wonky Wrote: Give a man a fish and make him eat the head first and he will never want eat fish again.

Teach a man to fish and the dummy will sit there all day drinking beer and trying to catch fish when he could be doing something useful with his time.

An old Texas proverb.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day;
Teach a man to fish, get rid of him for the whole weekend.
(04-29-2013, 05:24 PM)Wonky Wrote: Give a man a fish and make him eat the head first and he will never want eat fish again.

An old Texas proverb.

At least venison is worth eating. Smiling
(04-29-2013, 05:42 PM)Larry Wrote:

An old Texas proverb.

At least venison is worth eating. Smiling

Well I bet a lot of people would reach for the smoked salmon instead of the venison.Big Grin

Like posting here?Big Grin Useful is in the eye of the beerholder.
(04-29-2013, 12:55 PM)chuck white Wrote:

A saltwater only license is cheaper.

I used to abalone dive and I believe you need an additional tag for that.
Seems to me I made less than $30, We could take 4 abalones a day, I heard it's been dropped to 3 a day. Still a good deal.

Not a good deal for some folks. My life is worth more than an abalone dinner: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/3-...473026.php

(04-29) 12:36 PDT SEA RANCH -- Three people died while abalone fishing along the Northern California coast over the weekend, something authorities characterized as a "very unusual occurrence."

"It was the beautiful weather that brought people out," Sonoma County sheriff's Sgt. Ed Hoener said Monday. "There are dozens of people up here on any given day to go diving. It is not unusual to have a fatality every year, but it is especially unusual to have three die in one weekend."

The first victim was a retired firefighter from Pacifica who was spotted in the ocean near Sea Ranch at 1 p.m. Saturday, Hoener said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/3-...z2RuS9zjsx
(04-29-2013, 06:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Like posting here?Big Grin Useful is in the eye of the beerholder.

You're too clever to waste that wit on us.
Send your resume to "Late Night With David Letterman".