Sgt Found Alive in Vietnam after 44 Years
Acording to a new documentary.
i do not know if this story is completely true, I'm only sharing what the documentary is about.
Interesting story....

Quote:[Image: john-robertson-unclaimed-390x285.jpg]

A NEW DOCUMENTARY called Unclaimed claims to introduce the world to former Army Sergeant John Robertson, lost over Vietnam in 1968 and left behind for over four decades.

The Toronto Star reports Edmonton filmmaker Michael Jorgenson found Robertson, 76, living in a rural Vietnam village stooped with age, unable to speak English, remember his birthday, or names of the children he left behind in the U.S.
It’s a story difficult to understand considering the US military places such a priority on bringing every service member home, whenever possible.

Jorgenson told the Toronto Star that he was also skeptical when Vietnam vet Tom Faunce came to him and explained a man he’d found in Vietnam was a former “Army brother” listed as killed in action and forgotten. He says he became convinced only after going to Vietnam and meeting Robertson himself.
What he found was revealed to filmgoers in an invitation only screening of “Unclaimed” at a Toronto theatre earlier this month.

From The Toronto Star:

There is physical proof of Robertson’s birthplace, collected in dramatic fashion onscreen; a tearful meeting in Vietnam with a soldier who was trained by Robertson in 1960 and said he knew him on sight; and a heart-wrenching reunion with his only surviving sister — 80-year-old Jean Robertson-Holly — in Edmonton in December 2012 that left the audience at the Toronto screening wiping away tears
Jorgenson encountered so much resistance from the US military making his film that he says he’s convinced one “high-placed government source” was telling the truth when he said, “It’s not that the Vietnamese won’t let him (Robertson) go; it’s that our government doesn’t want him.”

Wringing out the details and talking to Robertson’s American family seems to have been a gut-wrenching affair. The children whose names he couldn’t recall declined DNA testing at the last minute with no explanation.

None of that mattered to Roberston who says he fulfilled his wish of coming to America and seeing his kids one more time before he dies.

Robertson’s now back in Vietnam, with no desire to leave and Unclaimed opens in the USA on 12 May, at the G.I. Film Festival in Washington, DC.

- Robert Johnson

http://www.thejournal.ie/missing-vietnam...6-Apr2013/
According to this news site this alleged veteran has been revealed to be a fake: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ve-it.html
I knew I could count on youse guys! Laughing
(04-30-2013, 08:59 PM)PonderThis Wrote: According to this news site this alleged veteran has been revealed to be a fake: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ve-it.html

Big WOW! The story is incredible as in it lacks credibility. It still might make a good movie though.
(04-30-2013, 08:59 PM)PonderThis Wrote: According to this news site this alleged veteran has been revealed to be a fake: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ve-it.html

Fake Veterans, Do they make those in China?
So, I guess it's a movie made in the form of a documentary....weird.
I'm sort of a fake. But, The Marines wrote the story. And, have to live with it.
(04-30-2013, 08:51 PM)Clone Wrote: Acording to a new documentary.
i do not know if this story is completely true, I'm only sharing what the documentary is about.
Interesting story....

Quote:[Image: john-robertson-unclaimed-390x285.jpg]

A NEW DOCUMENTARY called Unclaimed claims to introduce the world to former Army Sergeant John Robertson, lost over Vietnam in 1968 and left behind for over four decades.

The Toronto Star reports Edmonton filmmaker Michael Jorgenson found Robertson, 76, living in a rural Vietnam village stooped with age, unable to speak English, remember his birthday, or names of the children he left behind in the U.S.
It’s a story difficult to understand considering the US military places such a priority on bringing every service member home, whenever possible.

Jorgenson told the Toronto Star that he was also skeptical when Vietnam vet Tom Faunce came to him and explained a man he’d found in Vietnam was a former “Army brother” listed as killed in action and forgotten. He says he became convinced only after going to Vietnam and meeting Robertson himself.
What he found was revealed to filmgoers in an invitation only screening of “Unclaimed” at a Toronto theatre earlier this month.

From The Toronto Star:

There is physical proof of Robertson’s birthplace, collected in dramatic fashion onscreen; a tearful meeting in Vietnam with a soldier who was trained by Robertson in 1960 and said he knew him on sight; and a heart-wrenching reunion with his only surviving sister — 80-year-old Jean Robertson-Holly — in Edmonton in December 2012 that left the audience at the Toronto screening wiping away tears
Jorgenson encountered so much resistance from the US military making his film that he says he’s convinced one “high-placed government source” was telling the truth when he said, “It’s not that the Vietnamese won’t let him (Robertson) go; it’s that our government doesn’t want him.”

Wringing out the details and talking to Robertson’s American family seems to have been a gut-wrenching affair. The children whose names he couldn’t recall declined DNA testing at the last minute with no explanation.

None of that mattered to Roberston who says he fulfilled his wish of coming to America and seeing his kids one more time before he dies.

Robertson’s now back in Vietnam, with no desire to leave and Unclaimed opens in the USA on 12 May, at the G.I. Film Festival in Washington, DC.

- Robert Johnson

http://www.thejournal.ie/missing-vietnam...6-Apr2013/

The "About Us" at the site mentioned above:

About Us
The Journal.ie

TheJournal.ie is an Irish news website that invites its users to shape the news agenda.

Read, share and shape the day’s stories as they happen, from Ireland, the world and the web.

Yeah, what we need. The USERS shaping the news agenda.