DISGUSTING SUBJECT
Many internet sites say bags of water as a fly repellant is folklore.
(05-05-2013, 12:50 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Many internet sites say bags of water as a fly repellant is folklore.

Many Internet sites say Jesus is coming soon.
I know that part is true, he works at my favorite Mexican restaurant.
(05-05-2013, 02:05 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I know that part is true, he works at my favorite Mexican restaurant.

Ain't it true!

The Internet is a place of good reliable information, accessible as never before.

The Internet is a place of bad unreliable misinformation, speeding around like never before.

False rumors may have been responsible, in part at least, for the fall of Rome. So, the only thing really different and new is the speed by which these things travel.

I'd bet there is no science addresing the validity of bags of water preventing, or encouraging flies. I don't know, because I haven't taken time to look. And I won't bother.

So, my point (however fragile) was that it matters very little that there are all kinds of places on the Internet saying the bags don't work. It's a statement without any valid meaning.

The curse of the Internet, and the wonder of this world wide web, is that it depends of the intelligence of the user.

Jesus may return. I'm not going to convert. And, I won't be hanging any bags of water at my door. Files are not nearly as disgusting as the greed that has griped our world and upset the balance of the marketplace. Or, list your own example.

Flies, I can live with. Extreme poverty is tougher. Cancer is a bitch.
The fly traps we are using require water but there is something with a terrible stench that goes into the water, which is the draw. It is extremely gross.

If the fan doesn't work, maybe I'll hang some fly tape on it. That stuff is wayyyyy nasty when it starts to get covered though, so I hope the fan works. WHICH my son-in-law hasn't put up yet. Mad

I used to use hairspray on roaches when living in NY. Worked.
(05-07-2013, 03:46 PM)TennisMom Wrote: The fly traps we are using require water but there is something with a terrible stench that goes into the water, which is the draw. It is extremely gross.

If the fan doesn't work, maybe I'll hang some fly tape on it. That stuff is wayyyyy nasty when it starts to get covered though, so I hope the fan works. WHICH my son-in-law hasn't put up yet. Mad

I used to use hairspray on roaches when living in NY. Worked.

Flies are really not that bad.

Get your hair done.
Buy a new basic black dress and a one string of peals to complement it.
Buy new pumps to augment the above.
Have the most expensive lunch in Ashland wearing your new togs with a female friend (who you really don't like) who is wearing a frumpy house dress and bunny rabbit slippers.
Get a full body message.
Have sex with the young hunk who gives you the full body message.
After a smoke and a glass of good wine, have sex again.
Make appointments for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for a full body message.

What flies?
(05-07-2013, 03:46 PM)TennisMom Wrote: The fly traps we are using require water but there is something with a terrible stench that goes into the water, which is the draw. It is extremely gross.

Yes that's why you put the fly traps far away from where ever you sit. That smell will attract them AWAY from you. Some flies can smell something decomposing from 10 miles away. The more rotting dead flies in your trap the better.

Quote: I hope the fan works. WHICH my son-in-law hasn't put up yet. Mad

Fans are noisy, you may not like that. Can't you just stand there and hold the fan to see if it will work or not? They sell paddle fans (ceiling fans) for outdoor areas , They are not noisy. I have installed them before. You need some kind of Gazebo frame to hold one. Hey it's an idea.Big Grin
(05-05-2013, 09:43 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Turn the A/C down to as cool as you can stand. This slows the flies down and you can catch them with your bare hand!

LOL! Love this idea.

My children all used to be able to catch flies by their wings with a finger and thumb...as they have gotten older, they have lost this ability. It used to freak me out...now I miss it. Sad
(05-07-2013, 07:30 PM)broadzilla Wrote:
(05-05-2013, 09:43 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Turn the A/C down to as cool as you can stand. This slows the flies down and you can catch them with your bare hand!

LOL! Love this idea.

My children all used to be able to catch flies by their wings with a finger and thumb...as they have gotten older, they have lost this ability. It used to freak me out...now I miss it. Sad

That's the only way my kids got any protein. Flies, and a few earthworms. A caring parent, I fried the earthworms. Most of the time. I haven't see the kids for years. My guess is they suffer from bad DNA from their mother and can't cope or something.
(05-07-2013, 07:42 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(05-07-2013, 07:30 PM)broadzilla Wrote:

LOL! Love this idea.

That's the only way my kids got any protein. Flies, and a few earthworms. A caring parent, I fried the earthworms. Most of the time. I haven't see the kids for years. My guess is they suffer from bad DNA from their mother and can't cope or something.

Or they found a place with a lot of flies and earthworms and they're too fat to come see ya.
I'm more annoyed with mosquitoes right now. As annoying and disgusting as flies are, they serve a valuable purpose. Now mosquitoes? I could not find any citronella at Food 4 Less.Dry
(05-10-2013, 08:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm more annoyed with mosquitoes right now. As annoying and disgusting as flies are, they serve a valuable purpose. Now mosquitoes? I could not find any citronella at Food 4 Less.Dry

I hope you don't have bears in your area.
Quote:Citronella products contain a compound that is very attractive to bears, so it's best not to burn citronella candles or use any citronella-based bug sprays.

http://www.bearsmart.com/becoming-bear-s...ttractants
(05-10-2013, 08:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm more annoyed with mosquitoes right now. As annoying and disgusting as flies are, they serve a valuable purpose. Now mosquitoes? I could not find any citronella at Food 4 Less.Dry

Please describe this valuable service.
They help decompose dead things and fecal material, recycling nutrients and returning them to nature.
they feed spiders
Venus fly traps, too. (And who are we to deprive Venus Fly Traps of their food???)

[Image: 3.jpg]
(05-11-2013, 06:46 AM)PonderThis Wrote: They help decompose dead things and fecal material, recycling nutrients and returning them to nature.
I knew someone was going to say that. Most decomposition is done by bacteria and fungus; maggots play less of a role and only work on flesh when its warm out. They are lazy decomposers if that's even a word.
It's more likely when we die that fly larvae will devour our bodies than that earthworms will.
(05-11-2013, 07:34 AM)PonderThis Wrote: It's more likely when we die that fly larvae will devour our bodies than that earthworms will.
Sure if when we die we are left in a field somewhere. I plan to be 6 feet under ground or more likely ashes. Unless I die in a remote part of Eastern Oregon and feed turkey vultures for a while.
(05-11-2013, 07:34 AM)PonderThis Wrote: It's more likely when we die that fly larvae will devour our bodies than that earthworms will.

Oh goody! That makes my day a little brighter. (But science is science and the truth is the truth, and never the Twain Shall Meet).
I'm off to see if I can pal-up with some fly larvae. I'd like to know who is going to feed on me. I mean, except for the IRS.