DISGUSTING SUBJECT
Flies. I hate flies. They are everywhere. I have a kind of 'dead spot' on the back deck where they congregate and fly around in mindless circles.

My son-in-law said an outdoor fan might disperse them because they don't like breezes or wind. He is going to install one for me. Will this work?

I bought three fly traps and my DH hung one of them up. It did nothing to dissipate the fly tornado but has collected the most revolting amount of dead insects. Is it even worth putting these up? I'm having my doubts.

Anybody else have this problem? Unsure
I'm guessing you have livestock in close proximity. If that's the case, nothing you do will accomplish much in this case, as they're breeding where the manure is, and you just happen to be in their flight paths.

I get flies, but mainly in the fall, not much this time of year.
(05-04-2013, 12:19 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Flies. I hate flies. They are everywhere. I have a kind of 'dead spot' on the back deck where they congregate and fly around in mindless circles.

My son-in-law said an outdoor fan might disperse them because they don't like breezes or wind. He is going to install one for me. Will this work?

I bought three fly traps and my DH hung one of them up. It did nothing to dissipate the fly tornado but has collected the most revolting amount of dead insects. Is it even worth putting these up? I'm having my doubts.

Yes I have the same problem sometimes. The flies are swarming and I think mating. I used to think they were hover flies because they are different then regular old flies, smaller too.
They just find a spot in the room and circle for hours and never land. Buy Hover flies have small stripes so I don't know what exact species they are.
The hover or circle inside my shop too.
Anyway I spray awesome orange on themLaughing It's a dollar store cleaner. It even kills wasps.
Quit cleaning out your spider webs....
Awesome orange?

Nope, no livestock near us except for my little dog... Hmmmm....

Son-in-law will be putting in the fan tomorrow. I really hope it works to keep them away. It seems like one gets into the house anytime the door is opened. I cannot stand a fly being in the house. I will stalk it with a fly swatter until I catch it, or the cat does. Can't sleep with a fly in the house either. And before you ask, yes, my DH thinks I am looney.
It must not be easy living with your Dental Hygienist.
Well, am I disappointed, or what!

When I saw "Disgusting Subject" I couldn't open the thread fast enough, eager to get to some real juicy disgusting stuff. (Thinking kinky sex so awful that even Madonna wouldn't do it)

FLIES?

Come on, T/Mom, flies have been with us for a million years (or so) and will be here when we are long gone.

So, you heard anything juicy about Madonna?
(05-04-2013, 03:38 PM)TennisMom Wrote: I cannot stand a fly being in the house. I will stalk it with a fly swatter until I catch it, or the cat does. Can't sleep with a fly in the house either.

It's sort of fun catching them with a vacuum cleaner, too.
(05-04-2013, 06:23 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 03:38 PM)TennisMom Wrote: I cannot stand a fly being in the house. I will stalk it with a fly swatter until I catch it, or the cat does. Can't sleep with a fly in the house either.

Or your tongue
[Image: amazon-horned-frog_443_600x450.jpg]
(05-04-2013, 07:31 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 06:23 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

Or your tongue
[Image: amazon-horned-frog_443_600x450.jpg]

As Hector the frog said, "Times fun when your having flies".
(05-04-2013, 08:55 PM)Wonky Wrote: As Hector the frog said, "Times fun when your having flies".

Kermit. Smiling
(05-04-2013, 09:14 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 08:55 PM)Wonky Wrote: As Hector the frog said, "Times fun when your having flies".

Kermit. Smiling

You got your frog, I got mine. (Hector prefers his flies with a good wine, a tiny slice of cheese and later, a good cigar)
Well, of COURSE the topic had to be 'Disgusting Subject'. Why else would anyone open it? I could have gotten creative and asked about flies coming down but the women would have just yawned.

Anyway, so, what, I should stop using those fly-catching bags? Does anybody think the fan will work? Son-in-law came by to do a few things for us but told Dental Hygienist he'd be back today to put up the fan. I hope it works. It just makes me mad to see them out there, so close to my door, whizzing around. I nailed two of them yesterday after they got in the house. DH is beginning to wonder about my sanity.
Hang some fly tape?
Turn the A/C down to as cool as you can stand. This slows the flies down and you can catch them with your bare hand!
(05-05-2013, 09:41 AM)csrowan Wrote: Hang some fly tape?

She did.
(05-04-2013, 03:38 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Awesome orange?

Don't you New York city people what a dollar store is?Laughing I use it to kill insects, ants bees whatever Because I hate using the toxic poison stuff they sell for bugs. Plus it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
But the truth is that I don't know what the chemicals are that are in this stuff but it smells like oranges so it can't be bad rightRazzRolling Eyes

[Image: AwesomeOrange-1.jpg]
Fantastic works too.
hair spray and a lighter.
(05-04-2013, 12:19 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Flies. I hate flies. They are everywhere. I have a kind of 'dead spot' on the back deck where they congregate and fly around in mindless circles.

TM, this water filled plastic bag with a penny in it, works very well. I keep one near my front door: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/a...repellant/