Is Medical Marijuana Horse Shit?
(05-06-2013, 09:12 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 08:19 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I have a 70 year old neighbor that never would have dreamed of smoking marijuana (and, still doesn't care for it), but who finds the most amazing relief in using it as a skin balm for various aches, and now is sharing it with his wife and some of his old crony friends, too. I don't think you could convince him now that this relief is all "horseshit".

Recipe please... Big Grin

I've met the (local) woman who made this video, and I think this is the inspiration if not the exact recipe:

(05-06-2013, 09:15 AM)PonderThis Wrote: That's a good question. I'll have to ask. I think one of the unusual (to me) ingredients is grapeseed oil.

Grapeseed oil is a good choice because it is one of the cleaner natural oils and would just be the inert vehicle to hold the other active ingredients. Currently I use a topical compound of Ketamine and Lidocaine I special order from GP Pharmacy. It's very expensive so I only use it when pain prevents me from sleeping. It does take some time to absorb through the skin so most times I use DMSO to expedite absorption. I'm open to trying something new so post or PM me if you can get a recipe. Smiling

Edit: I see you posted the video, thanks.
(05-06-2013, 09:19 AM)cj2112 Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 08:49 AM)tornado Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 08:21 AM)broadzilla Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 07:25 AM)cletus1 Wrote: There are certainly recognized medical conditions that qualify a person to obtain a OMMP card. These conditions were not thought up by stoners or "pot doctors" They are recognized by medical doctors as potentially helpful in treating these conditions.

Qualifying debilitating medical conditions

Under the OMMA, uses of medical marijuana for debilitating
medical conditions are defined as:
• Cancer;
• Glaucoma;
• Agitation due to Alzheimer’s disease;
• HIV+/AIDS.
Also, any other medical condition or treatment for a medical
condition that produces one or more of the following:
• Cachexia (a weight-loss disease that can be caused
by HIV or cancer),
• Severe pain,

The issue with most pot prudes is their own prejudice. The can't stand the idea that someone is getting high on weed.

The really need to add anxiety disorders to the list, i.e. PTSD, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder...
I believe there is no medical benefit for glaucoma sufferers. To suggest so is bad advice. http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/medical-marijuana.php http://www.americanglaucomasociety.net/p...a_glaucoma

Did you even read the articles? they both claim that there is benefit. That other drugs are more desirable, but that marijuana works.

http://www.americanglaucomasociety.net/p...a_glaucoma Wrote:One of the commonly discussed alternatives for the treatment of glaucoma by lowering IOP is the smoking of marijuana. It has been definitively demonstrated, and widely appreciated, that smoking marijuana lowers IOP in both normal individuals and in those with glaucoma, and therefore might be a treatment for glaucoma
Of course I read the articles. Did you read my anecdotal account?

Furthermore inhaling marijuana every three hours to lower IOP is a bad idea. Patients should rely on drops or surgery, not an unproven alternative.

http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/medical-marijuana.php

Advocates of medicinal marijuana cite evidence that hemp products can lower intraocular pressure (IOP) in people with glaucoma. However, these products are less effective than medicines prescribed by an eye doctor.

The high dose of marijuana necessary to produce a clinically relevant effect on IOP in the short term requires constant inhalation, as much as every three hours.

The number of significant side effects generated by long-term oral use of marijuana or long-term inhalation of marijuana smoke make marijuana a poor choice in the treatment of glaucoma, a chronic disease requiring proven and effective treatment.

Currently, marijuana is designated as a Schedule I drug (drugs which have a high potential for abuse and no medical application or proven therapeutic value).

The only marijuana currently approved at the Federal level for medical use is Marinol, a synthetic form of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the most active component of marijuana. It was developed as an antiemetic (an agent that reduces nausea used in chemotherapy treatments), which can be taken orally in capsule form. The effects of Marinol on glaucoma are not impressive.
Medical Research Studies

To date, no studies have shown that marijuana— or any of its approximately 400 chemical components—can safely and effectively lower intraocular pressure better than the variety of drugs currently on the market.

Currently, there are no National Eye Institute studies in the United States concerning the use of marijuana to treat glaucoma.

The Glaucoma Research Foundation will continue to monitor the research community for any new and well-designed studies regarding the use of marijuana to effectively treat glaucoma.
(05-06-2013, 08:58 AM)tealeaf Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 08:21 AM)broadzilla Wrote: The really need to add anxiety disorders to the list, i.e. PTSD, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder...

I've been fighting for that for 10years. My husband gets great relief from smoking pot. Mostly for his mental stuff, ie, severe anxiety, agitation, depression, hypo mania, etc. (he has traumatic brain injury). Helps with pain, mostly for those who ingest it. Also helps with his seizures.

But, too many go for the license for bogus reasons. So they can grow and sell, or so they can smoke (recreationally).

Right but who cares?
edit
(05-06-2013, 09:16 AM)tornado Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 09:00 AM)tealeaf Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 08:49 AM)tornado Wrote: I believe there is no medical benefit for glaucoma sufferers. To suggest so is bad advice. http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/medical-marijuana.php http://www.americanglaucomasociety.net/p...a_glaucoma

I know no one who uses it for that, but my brother in law is an eye surgeon, here in so Oregon, who told me unequivically, that he can see the benefit for glaucoma pts. It relieves pressure in the eye. Eases the pain.
I too have talked with eye surgeons. There is no pain associated with open angle glaucoma. In close angle glaucoma there is pain, but in this type of the disease, the condition comes on suddenly.

A friend passed away at age 87. He had been a heavy marijuana user for over 50 years. He never knew he had glaucoma until he was blind in one eye. His eye surgeon prescribed eye drops. Pot did nothing to stop glaucoma, or lower the pressure over 50 years of use.

Signs and Symptoms http://www.stlukeseye.com/conditions/glaucoma.html

Glaucoma is an insidious disease because it rarely causes symptoms. Detection and prevention are only possible with routine eye examinations. However, certain types, such as angle closure and congenital, do cause symptoms.

OK so you YOU don't think pot helps with Glaucoma. So what's the down side of giving it a shot?
First you post this ..
Quote:Tornado...A friend passed away at age 87. He had been a heavy marijuana user for over 50 years.

And then this.....

(05-06-2013, 09:52 AM)tornado Wrote: .

The number of significant side effects generated by long-term oral use of marijuana or long-term inhalation of marijuana smoke make marijuana a poor choice in the treatment of glaucoma, a chronic disease requiring proven and effective treatment.

So he died too early?

Don't you see the inconsistency? First Tornado makes the case that long-term oral use of marijuana or long-term inhalation of marijuana smoke make has a number of significant side effects.
Then he talks about a guy who smoked for 50 years and lived to be 87.

I would be happy with thatLaughing
(05-06-2013, 08:21 AM)broadzilla Wrote: The really need to add anxiety disorders to the list, i.e. PTSD, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder...

I've been fighting for that for 10years. My husband gets great relief from smoking pot. Mostly for his mental stuff, ie, severe anxiety, agitation, depression, hypo mania, etc. (he has traumatic brain injury). Helps with pain, mostly for those who ingest it. Also helps with his seizures.

But, too many go for the license for bogus reasons. So they can grow and sell, or so they can smoke (recreationally).
Here is my sincere question to you. It is not meant to denigrate your religious beliefs (at least not this time). Why are so many conservatives, especially conservative Christians against people getting high on pot? I mean really, is it is a moral issue or a legal issue because I know more that a few Christians that gamble and drink all while judging pot smokers. Help me out here will ya?
Yes.
(05-06-2013, 11:56 AM)Wonky Wrote: Yes.
Yes what? Yes its horse shit, or yes I finally learned how to give a short answer? Or I can't remember what we were talking about.Big Grin
I thought it was his answer to your question: "Why are so many conservatives, especially conservative Christians against people getting high on pot?"
Wow what happened, I thought Cletus said.. So he died too early? about my response to Tornado. So I posted this.......

Quote: Tvguy...Don't you see the inconsistency? First Tornado makes the case that long-term oral use of marijuana or long-term inhalation of marijuana smoke make has a number of significant side effects.
Then he talks about a guy who smoked for 50 years and lived to be 87.

I would be happy with thatLaughing

But now I don't see your post asking So he died too early? BlinkBlink
(05-06-2013, 12:28 PM)csrowan Wrote: I thought it was his answer to your question: "Why are so many conservatives, especially conservative Christians against people getting high on pot?"

Laughing That's not a yes or no question.

Edit: Oh, maybe its to subtle for me; as in only a stoner would answer yes.Unsure
(05-06-2013, 12:28 PM)csrowan Wrote: I thought it was his answer to your question: "Why are so many conservatives, especially conservative Christians against people getting high on pot?"

Yeah pretty much,I thought he was jokingSmiling
(05-06-2013, 11:17 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Here is my sincere question to you. It is not meant to denigrate your religious beliefs (at least not this time). Why are so many conservatives, especially conservative Christians against people getting high on pot? I mean really, is it is a moral issue or a legal issue because I know more that a few Christians that gamble and drink all while judging pot smokers. Help me out here will ya?

It's the same reason conservatives hate bicycle ridersLaughing
(05-06-2013, 12:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 11:17 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

It's the same reason conservatives hate bicycle ridersLaughing
They do? Don't make me go smoke a fatty just so I can understand you people.
Am I misreading this or does there appear to be a majority here that feel that as long as marijuana has medical benefits for some, that it is okay for everyone else to obtain a card for their recreational use?

Because if that IS the case... then just legalize the stuff and quit pretending.

If it is NOT the case... then tighten up the laws to make it legal only for those with a legitimate medical need.

That's all I'm saying. And that is why I call the current system horseshit.
(05-06-2013, 12:33 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Am I misreading this or does there appear to be a majority here that feel that as long as marijuana has medical benefits for some, that it is okay for everyone else to obtain a card for their recreational use?

That is EXACTLY the case. It's no different than not sweating that fact that some people have food stamps that don't really need them. WHO CARES? there is NO way to stop some people from abusing the system.

Quote:Because if that IS the case... then just legalize the stuff and quit pretending.

I can't because people like you vote against legalizing it.

Quote:If it is NOT the case... then tighten up the laws to make it legal only for those with a legitimate medical need.

OH for the love of God, You SERIOUSLY want our law enforcement going after people who smoke pot and wasting more time and money than they already are???
Why is it so bad if someone use for recreational purpose anyway?

Why don't you go harass the coffee drinkers.
[Image: 30l0a3s.jpg]