Is Medical Marijuana Horse Shit?
(05-06-2013, 10:03 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 09:16 AM)tornado Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 09:00 AM)tealeaf Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 08:49 AM)tornado Wrote: I believe there is no medical benefit for glaucoma sufferers. To suggest so is bad advice. http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/medical-marijuana.php http://www.americanglaucomasociety.net/p...a_glaucoma

I know no one who uses it for that, but my brother in law is an eye surgeon, here in so Oregon, who told me unequivically, that he can see the benefit for glaucoma pts. It relieves pressure in the eye. Eases the pain.
I too have talked with eye surgeons. There is no pain associated with open angle glaucoma. In close angle glaucoma there is pain, but in this type of the disease, the condition comes on suddenly.

A friend passed away at age 87. He had been a heavy marijuana user for over 50 years. He never knew he had glaucoma until he was blind in one eye. His eye surgeon prescribed eye drops. Pot did nothing to stop glaucoma, or lower the pressure over 50 years of use.

Signs and Symptoms http://www.stlukeseye.com/conditions/glaucoma.html

Glaucoma is an insidious disease because it rarely causes symptoms. Detection and prevention are only possible with routine eye examinations. However, certain types, such as angle closure and congenital, do cause symptoms.

OK so you YOU don't think pot helps with Glaucoma. So what's the down side of giving it a shot?
tvguy, the down side is when people assume if they smoke pot they won't get glaucoma. It won't prevent it, cure it, or ease, (non existent) pain.
I don't care if folks smoke weed, I just don't want them to forgo eye exams; thinking they can escape glaucoma, by using MJ.
(05-06-2013, 01:22 PM)tornado Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 08:49 AM)tornado Wrote: I believe there is no medical benefit for glaucoma sufferers. To suggest so is bad advice. http://www.glaucoma.org/treatment/medical-marijuana.php http://www.americanglaucomasociety.net/p...a_glaucoma

I know no one who uses it for that, but my brother in law is an eye surgeon, here in so Oregon, who told me unequivically, that he can see the benefit for glaucoma pts. It relieves pressure in the eye. Eases the pain.
I too have talked with eye surgeons. There is no pain associated with open angle glaucoma. In close angle glaucoma there is pain, but in this type of the disease, the condition comes on suddenly.

A friend passed away at age 87. He had been a heavy marijuana user for over 50 years. He never knew he had glaucoma until he was blind in one eye. His eye surgeon prescribed eye drops. Pot did nothing to stop glaucoma, or lower the pressure over 50 years of use.

Glaucoma is an insidious disease because it rarely causes symptoms. Detection and prevention are only possible with routine eye examinations. However, certain types, such as angle closure and congenital, do cause symptoms.

OK so you YOU don't think pot helps with Glaucoma. So what's the down side of giving it a shot?
tvguy, the down side is when people assume if they smoke pot they won't get glaucoma. It won't prevent it, cure it, or ease, (non existent) pain.
I don't care if folks smoke weed, I just don't want them to forgo eye exams; thinking they can escape glaucoma, by using MJ.

OK I got it and I agree. Well mostly, I'm not positive that there is no benefit whatsoever for glaucoma.

A person would have to be awfully stupid to think smoking pot can prevent glaucoma. Here is what science says about marijuana and glaucoma: "Glaucoma increases pressure in the eyeball, which can lead to vision loss. Smoking marijuana reduces pressure in the eyes. Your doctor can prescribe other medications to treat glaucoma, but these can lose their effectiveness over time."

The above quote is from the Live Science website. Other sites say similar things about cannabis and glaucoma.
(05-06-2013, 11:17 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Here is my sincere question to you. It is not meant to denigrate your religious beliefs (at least not this time). Why are so many conservatives, especially conservative Christians against people getting high on pot? I mean really, is it is a moral issue or a legal issue because I know more that a few Christians that gamble and drink all while judging pot smokers. Help me out here will ya?

I can only answer for myself, cletus1. I am not against medical pot. It helps many things. I know this for fact, from daily personal experience.
I am not against occasional recreational use of pot. Pot is far safer to use than alcohol. Without any doubt whatsoever, in my mind.

Many Christians are against it simply because recreational use is illegal.
My Pastor, and the elders at my Church are aware of my husbands use, and have no problem with it. In fact, they approve. He is legal, and they have seen for themselves how it helps him.
(05-06-2013, 03:03 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 09:00 AM)tealeaf Wrote: I know no one who uses it for that, but my brother in law is an eye surgeon, here in so Oregon, who told me unequivically, that he can see the benefit for glaucoma pts. It relieves pressure in the eye. Eases the pain.

A person would have to be awfully stupid to think smoking pot can prevent glaucoma. Here is what science says about marijuana and glaucoma: "Glaucoma increases pressure in the eyeball, which can lead to vision loss. Smoking marijuana reduces pressure in the eyes. Your doctor can prescribe other medications to treat glaucoma, but these can lose their effectiveness over time."

The above quote is from the Live Science website. Other sites say similar things about cannabis and glaucoma.
So, why do we have a state law which lists glaucoma as a reason to issue a MM permit to a person?
In order for the MM clinic to issue a permit, they need, or should need proof the person has glaucoma. If the person has previously been diagnosed with open angle glaucoma, they are, or should be on prescription eye drops in order to keep in check the ocular pressure. Therefore, giving such a person a MM card doesn't make sense, as there is no proof they are in pain from glaucoma, because with open angle glaucoma, there is no pain.
Studies show that it has the ability to reduce pressure. That is a positive medical use. Exactly what constitutes a high dose? Is a joint every 3 or so hours a high dose? I know many people who smoke like this regularly. People who are responsible, self sufficient, otherwise law abiding members of the community.

I tend to agree that we should legalize it. Prohibition is a failure, it was a failure nearly 100 years ago, it still is, and will always be. Show me the real health risks, show me the real damages to society. I still can't figure out why the hell the stuff is illegal. People may not like it, don't use it. They may not like people who do use it, don't hang out with them. I don't like a lot of the people I come into contact with, but I choose to limit my exposure to them. Is this really THAT difficult to figure out?
(05-06-2013, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 12:33 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Am I misreading this or does there appear to be a majority here that feel that as long as marijuana has medical benefits for some, that it is okay for everyone else to obtain a card for their recreational use?

That is EXACTLY the case. It's no different than not sweating that fact that some people have food stamps that don't really need them. WHO CARES? there is NO way to stop some people from abusing the system.

Quote:Because if that IS the case... then just legalize the stuff and quit pretending.

I can't because people like you vote against legalizing it.

Quote:If it is NOT the case... then tighten up the laws to make it legal only for those with a legitimate medical need.

OH for the love of God, You SERIOUSLY want our law enforcement going after people who smoke pot and wasting more time and money than they already are???

Hmmm... not exactly sure where I said any of that. I think I've been pretty clear about the entire "horseshit" angle. The current situation, as it is being practiced, is tantamount to it being legal. So if that's where we are going to be, then end the "medical" charade and just legalize it.

OTHERWISE, if where we want to be is for it to REALLY be used for medical purposes ONLY, then crack down on those that are growing and selling to folks that do not have a card... and make getting a card much more difficult.

The current situation is a charade. There is no question of that. Just because there are some folks with a real need doesn't make it any less of a charade. I am at the point where I don't care if it is legalized... just quit the medical cards. If anyone that wants one can get one, then what is the point of even having them?
(05-06-2013, 05:02 PM)cj2112 Wrote: Studies show that it has the ability to reduce pressure. That is a positive medical use. Exactly what constitutes a high dose? Is a joint every 3 or so hours a high dose? I know many people who smoke like this regularly. People who are responsible, self sufficient, otherwise law abiding members of the community.

I tend to agree that we should legalize it. Prohibition is a failure, it was a failure nearly 100 years ago, it still is, and will always be. Show me the real health risks, show me the real damages to society. I still can't figure out why the hell the stuff is illegal. People may not like it, don't use it. They may not like people who do use it, don't hang out with them. I don't like a lot of the people I come into contact with, but I choose to limit my exposure to them. Is this really THAT difficult to figure out?

Well said.
Or, as one person I know likes to say, "not only should it be legalized, in many cases it should be mandatory".
Big Grin (that's a joke folks......sorta...Wink )
(05-07-2013, 04:30 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Hmmm... not exactly sure where I said any of that. I think I've been pretty clear about the entire "horseshit" angle. The current situation, as it is being practiced, is tantamount to it being legal. So if that's where we are going to be, then end the "medical" charade and just legalize it.

I didn't get that at first. The phrase "Medical marijuana is horseshit" to me means that medicinal use of marijuana is horseshit, not that the medical marijuana system is horseshit.

I understand what you meant now, but given that other people were talking about how or whether marijuana helps certain health issues, I think other people had the same misunderstanding I did.
(05-07-2013, 04:30 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: [quote='GoCometsGo' pid='280955' dateline='1367868817']
Am I misreading this or does there appear to be a majority here that feel that as long as marijuana has medical benefits for some, that it is okay for everyone else to obtain a card for their recreational use?

That is EXACTLY the case. It's no different than not sweating that fact that some people have food stamps that don't really need them. WHO CARES? there is NO way to stop some people from abusing the system.

Quote:Because if that IS the case... then just legalize the stuff and quit pretending.

Quote:If it is NOT the case... then tighten up the laws to make it legal only for those with a legitimate medical need.

OH for the love of God, You SERIOUSLY want our law enforcement going after people who smoke pot and wasting more time and money than they already are???

Quote:Hmmm... not exactly sure where I said any of that.

You stated that you were against legalizing marijuana earlier and you just said you want to tighten up the laws.

Quote:I think I've been pretty clear about the entire "horseshit" angle. The current situation, as it is being practiced, is tantamount to it being legal. So if that's where we are going to be, then end the "medical" charade and just legalize it.

OTHERWISE, if where we want to be is for it to REALLY be used for medical purposes ONLY, then... a crack down on those that are growing and selling to folks that do not have a cardnd make getting a card much more difficult.

The current situation is a charade. There is no question of that. Just because there are some folks with a real need doesn't make it any less of a charade. I am at the point where I don't care if it is legalized... just quit the medical cards. If anyone that wants one can get one, then what is the point of even having them?

crack down on those that are growing and selling to folks that do not have a card and make getting a card much more difficult.

You said "tighten up the laws" and "crack down". That sure sounds to me like asking our already overworked law enforcement personnel to waste even more time, money and resources then they already are.
Quote:I don't care if it is legalized... just quit the medical cards. If anyone that wants one can get one, then what is the point of even having them?

IMO most doctors would prescribe pot to someone who doesn't need it than deny it to someone who actually does. Then there are some doctors I hear about who are simply in it for the money.

Pot is illegal so the medical Marijuana angle is the ONLY legal alternative for people like Tealeaf's husband.
So I'm all for it and I could care less if it's a farce or a charade. I simply don't understand why you care.
You say just legalize it. well the VOTERS like you don't want to legalize it... YET.... so saying just legalize it doesn't make sense to me because we CAN"T. That's not an option.
(05-07-2013, 09:36 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: [quote='GoCometsGo' pid='280955' dateline='1367868817']
Am I misreading this or does there appear to be a majority here that feel that as long as marijuana has medical benefits for some, that it is okay for everyone else to obtain a card for their recreational use?

You stated that you were against legalizing marijuana earlier and you just said you want to tighten up the laws.

Quote:I think I've been pretty clear about the entire "horseshit" angle. The current situation, as it is being practiced, is tantamount to it being legal. So if that's where we are going to be, then end the "medical" charade and just legalize it.

OTHERWISE, if where we want to be is for it to REALLY be used for medical purposes ONLY, then... a crack down on those that are growing and selling to folks that do not have a cardnd make getting a card much more difficult.

crack down on those that are growing and selling to folks that do not have a card and make getting a card much more difficult.

You said "tighten up the laws" and "crack down". That sure sounds to me like asking our already overworked law enforcement personnel to waste even more time, money and resources then they already are.
Quote:I don't care if it is legalized... just quit the medical cards. If anyone that wants one can get one, then what is the point of even having them?

IMO most doctors would prescribe pot to someone who doesn't need it than deny it to someone who actually does. Then there are some doctors I hear about who are simply in it for the money.

Pot is illegal so the medical Marijuana angle is the ONLY legal alternative for people like Tealeaf's husband.
So I'm all for it and I could care less if it's a farce or a charade. I simply don't understand why you care.
You say just legalize it. well the VOTERS like you don't want to legalize it... YET.... so saying just legalize it doesn't make sense to me because we CAN"T. That's not an option.

YOU implied that I was in favor of wasting the time of law enforcement to go after pot smokers. I never did say or imply anything of the sort.
(05-07-2013, 09:36 AM)tvguy Wrote:

This post accurately describes the current marijuana debate in America.

The prohibitionist: You are faking being sick just to smoke pot.

The libertarian: Then legalize it.

The prohibitionist: No

Then libertarian: Then I'm staying sick.

Laughing
OK so I guess my mistake was that you want law enforcement to go after pot sellers who have OMMP cards and "tighten up laws" and not pot smokers.

That seems to me to STILL be a waste of time, money and resources for our law enforcement.I think it's blatantly clear The legalization of marijuana is imminent.
So what's the point in cracking down or tightening up laws.

Do you think the feds who were busting bootleggers just before alcohol became legal were doing something worth while?
Your mistake is that GCG suggested that the current setup is crappy because it's easy to abuse, and suggested either fixing it or simply making marijuana legal. That's it. You're the one who assumed he WANTED to crack down on it.

If you actually look at EVERYTHING he said, IN CONTEXT, you'll see that you are completely and totally wrong in your assumptions and accusations...

(05-07-2013, 04:30 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Hmmm... not exactly sure where I said any of that. I think I've been pretty clear about the entire "horseshit" angle. The current situation, as it is being practiced, is tantamount to it being legal. So if that's where we are going to be, then end the "medical" charade and just legalize it.

OTHERWISE, if where we want to be is for it to REALLY be used for medical purposes ONLY, then crack down on those that are growing and selling to folks that do not have a card... and make getting a card much more difficult.

(05-07-2013, 02:25 PM)csrowan Wrote: Your mistake is that GCG suggested that the current setup is crappy because it's easy to abuse, and suggested either fixing it or simply making marijuana legal. That's it. You're the one who assumed he WANTED to crack down on it.

He used the words "crack down" He also used the "words tighten up laws". I admitted that I had wrongly assumed he was taking about pot users. But it seems clear to me he is taking about cracking down and tightening up laws on card holders who see the drug.

Explain to me how that won't be MORE work for law enforcement.

Quote: Rowan..If you actually look at EVERYTHING he said, IN CONTEXT, you'll see that you are completely and totally wrong in your assumptions and accusations...

You bolded the part where GCG said I am at the point where I don't care if it is legalized.. as If I didn't see it But what about this smart guy?..........
Yesterday, 06:47 AM
GoCometsGo
Forum User
RE: Is Medical Marijuana Horse Shit?

I am basically against legalizing the stuff but I realize that I am on shaky ground.

So GCG is against legalizing MJ yesterday morning and today he is at the point where doesn't care if it is legalizedBlinkBlink

And he clearly wants to tighten up laws and crack down on cardholders.

But I'm completely and totally wrong in my assumptions and accusations? Really? Maybe it's you who is Wrong Rowan?
I'm not the one who is still ignoring the 'otherwise/then' statement.
I know a guy who works full time, under the table and gets food stamps.

So the foodstamp program is a charade/horseshit because even though those who need help get help but some who don't need help get help.

IMO The only thing that makes any sense by being upset that some people can have marijuana legally who aren't sick is because a person doesn't think they should have the drug.

The medical marijuana system is somewhat flawed because there is no way to PROVE a patient is really in pain or is experiencing real nausea . And obviously some people can either fake it of exaggerate.
People with cancer or aids aren't faking anything. I bet they don't think it's horseshit and I doubt if they care if someone abuses the system they need.
(05-07-2013, 03:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: I know a guy who works full time, under the table and gets food stamps.

So the foodstamp program is a charade/horseshit because even though those who need help get help but some who don't need help get help.

IMO The only thing that makes any sense by being upset that some people can have marijuana legally who aren't sick is because a person doesn't think they should have the drug.

The medical marijuana system is somewhat flawed because there is no way to PROVE a patient is really in pain or is experiencing real nausea . And obviously some people can either fake it of exaggerate.
People with cancer or aids aren't faking anything. I bet they don't think it's horseshit and I doubt if they care if someone abuses the system they need.

You see the issue so clearly. I know that because I agree completely with this post.Laughing
(05-07-2013, 04:00 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(05-07-2013, 03:37 PM)tvguy Wrote: I know a guy who works full time, under the table and gets food stamps.

You see the issue so clearly. I know that because I agree completely with this post.Laughing

I'd like to reply to this but I'm so wasted I can't remember who I am. Could someone dial 541-095-1234 and tell me who I am, please.
Never mind.
I remember a bit now. I don't really want to know who I am.
I'm hungry! There are only some frozen peas in the house, and they are starting to sound really good.
Is Mr. Obama still our president? Yeah? Cool.
I gotta go, the cat is using the cell phone and running up my bill. Hold it! Not the cat...it's my wife. I wonder what her name is?
Man, this is some Gonzo bud!
I need it for my bad knee. I REALLY helps.
(05-07-2013, 04:42 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(05-07-2013, 04:00 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

I'd like to reply to this but I'm so wasted I can't remember who I am. Could someone dial 541-095-1234 and tell me who I am, please.
Never mind.
I remember a bit now. I don't really want to know who I am.
I'm hungry! There are only some frozen peas in the house, and they are starting to sound really good.
Is Mr. Obama still our president? Yeah? Cool.
I gotta go, the cat is using the cell phone and running up my bill. Hold it! Not the cat...it's my wife. I wonder what her name is?
Man, this is some Gonzo bud!
I need it for my bad knee. I REALLY helps.

Come on Wonker? I know you are trying for humor but that doesn't sound like a weed high to me.Big Grin