Regarding the perceived "dumbing down"
Less people posting means less discussion and less brain power raising the bar. Still, I don't know that we are dumbing down. Look at all the posts about Grants Pass politics. There are some articulate and interesting points of view being shared on some Josephine County issues. I know many people on this forum don't live in JOCO and are not interested, but that section of the forum is full of intelligent conversation.

I also have to agree with GoComets a little. Many of us don't post as often as we used to in the political section, so it may seem the more serious subjects are getting less attention. So what, even I get tired of arguing some of the same issues over and over again. I also notice that some of the people that think we are dumbing down are not sharing their knowledge and intellect with us either. Rolling EyesRazz
(05-12-2013, 07:11 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Less people posting means less discussion and less brain power raising the bar. Still, I don't know that we are dumbing down. Look at all the posts about Grants Pass politics. There are some articulate and interesting points of view being shared on some Josephine County issues. I know many people on this forum don't live in JOCO and are not interested, but that section of the forum is full of intelligent conversation.

I also have to agree with GoComets a little. Many of us don't post as often as we used to in the political section, so it may seem the more serious subjects are getting less attention. So what, even I get tired of arguing some of the same issues over and over again. I also notice that some of the people that think we are dumbing down are not sharing their knowledge and intellect with us either. Rolling EyesRazz

First of all, while Ponder is a member in good standing, a guy who loves dogs, and an all around peace loving guy he may, or may not be an intellectual giant.

Second, the problem with political exchanges here seem to me to be a misunderstanding of argument. Argument (as you know) need not be hostile. However one chooses to use the definition, it need not include hostility, insult, and character assassination.

Social. political, philosophical, and faith issues should be (IMHO) open for discussion here. How we embrace and respond is more the issue that the content. And maybe more importantly, decisions to not engage in some topics might be most important.

Our words and other expressions here define us, in time. I'm known as the hall monitor. My posts have no doubt encouraged this moniker, and BBQ has made sure it is fresh in our minds. No harm, no foul. I am guilty, in degrees at least.

We have not dumbed down, and we won't. There will be conflicts no doubt until we practice more civil dialog, but many of the exchanges here provoke investigation into issues and broaden our views. The forum is, after all, designed for just this kind of dialog.

And too, I don't see any problem with the casual, fun, even nonsensical posts here. They are fun. Movies, books, TV, kicky sex, and a host of other subjects are grist for the mill and I (for one) enjoy them.

Reasonable adults, holding to mature attitudes can make monitoring unnecessary, and we don't need to dumb-down our conversation here to accomplish this.

Together, we can learn, practice more effective dialog, and grow friendships we never thought possible.

Or not. We do have choices. Is this a wonderful country, or what?
(05-12-2013, 08:33 AM)Wonky Wrote: First of all, while Ponder is a member in good standing, a guy who loves dogs, and an all around peace loving guy he may, or may not be an intellectual giant.

I think you'll find this "intellectual giant" talk is mostly a figment of GCG and TV's imaginations anyway. To them, anything above cornpone seems dangerous.
(05-11-2013, 10:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Based on the recent content of this forum, I'd say Ponder is correct.

Compared to what? A lot of what goes on here has always been dumb. What point in time were we all intellectual an stuff? I must have been off noodling catfish and missed it.
Maybe you are right, I NEVER before would have ended a sentence with a preparationRazz
(05-12-2013, 08:43 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:33 AM)Wonky Wrote: First of all, while Ponder is a member in good standing, a guy who loves dogs, and an all around peace loving guy he may, or may not be an intellectual giant.

I think you'll find this "intellectual giant" talk is mostly a figment of GCG and TV's imaginations anyway. To them, anything above cornpone seems dangerous.

I doubt we are the only ones here who knows a pompous fraud when we see one.
(05-12-2013, 08:43 AM)PonderThis Wrote: To them, anything above cornpone seems dangerous.

You have the nerve to suggest that you do not see yourself as superior? Yet, in your very post denying it, you can't help yourself.
(05-12-2013, 08:33 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 07:11 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Less people posting means less discussion and less brain power raising the bar. Still, I don't know that we are dumbing down. Look at all the posts about Grants Pass politics. There are some articulate and interesting points of view being shared on some Josephine County issues. I know many people on this forum don't live in JOCO and are not interested, but that section of the forum is full of intelligent conversation.

First of all, while Ponder is a member in good standing, a guy who loves dogs, and an all around peace loving guy he may, or may not be an intellectual giant.
What makes you think I was referring to Ponder. I was talking about Tia, I mean someone else. jk Tia Wink
(05-12-2013, 08:52 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:43 AM)PonderThis Wrote: To them, anything above cornpone seems dangerous.

You have the nerve to suggest that you do not see yourself as superior? Yet, in your very post denying it, you can't help yourself.

"Let me be blunt. I am a log truck driver. I am around other log truck drivers and loggers all day-every day. These people are often filthy, unshaved, toothless, stinky people." GCG
(05-12-2013, 08:48 AM)tvguy Wrote:

"Jap japs japper japa japa japa Jap japs japper japa japa japa Jap japs japper japa japa japa" - tvguy
This thread is ridiculous.
If you allow another person to make you feel inadequate in any way... maybe you are dumb.
(05-12-2013, 09:10 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

"Let me be blunt. I am a log truck driver. I am around other log truck drivers and loggers all day-every day. These people are often filthy, unshaved, toothless, stinky people." GCG

So what? What does that say about GCG except that he can articulate things clearly.

Whether or not he is filthy, unshaven, has all his teeth, or stinks (none of which he admits to, he merely says other people he works with are like that), he can articulate things clearly, and rarely goes on the offensive, not even with little passive aggressive barbs.

I may not share his opinions, but I have found him someone worth talking to; someone who can hold one opinion and listen to others without shutting them out.

The fact that he drives a logging truck says nothing about him other than the fact that he has a truckers license, and he is willing to transport logs.
Starting a thread targeted at me is a passive aggressive barb in itself. If he feels so inadequate, perhaps it's because he's involved in a crude occupation that destroys the wilderness we live with, and that can't be bringing a good feeling.
(05-12-2013, 09:13 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:48 AM)tvguy Wrote:

"Jap japs japper japa japa japa Jap japs japper japa japa japa Jap japs japper japa japa japa" - tvguy

What does that HUMOR have to be with being pomp-ass OR a fraud?? That's a reply to an idiot who trolled me because I abbreviated the word Japanese.
(05-12-2013, 09:20 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Starting a thread targeted at me is a passive aggressive barb in itself. If he feels so inadequate, perhaps it's because he's involved in a crude occupation that destroys the wilderness we live with, and that can't be bringing a good feeling.

As if you never started a thread about another forum member?
Some of the above comments are telling.

Literally leaping to the old traditions of swing and duck, it sounds like a song played over and over.
TVg, I swear you are incapable of leaving Ponders comments "well enough alone". And Ponder, you provoke as a matter of habit, I feel. We can ignore it of course, but that would prevent the reading of the other stuff you both post that is interesting.

Carry on, as you will. But if a thousand times you get the same results you might want to consider the product and think of making at least minor changes.

Or, as you learned in the military (TVg) as you were.
(05-12-2013, 09:15 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:10 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

So what? What does that say about GCG except that he can articulate things clearly.

Whether or not he is filthy, unshaven, has all his teeth, or stinks (none of which he admits to, he merely says other people he works with are like that), he can articulate things clearly, and rarely goes on the offensive, not even with little passive aggressive barbs.

I may not share his opinions, but I have found him someone worth talking to; someone who can hold one opinion and listen to others without shutting them out.

The fact that he drives a logging truck says nothing about him other than the fact that he has a truckers license, and he is willing to transport logs.

Ponder can't admit you are right so he tries an alternate attack and to change the subject. Also it should be noted that GCG has mentioned several times that he rarely even drives a truck. And Ponder knows this.
I'm a graphic designer. That means I use paper and toner and computers with rare earth materials, and electricity made from fossil fuels, and I drive to pick up proofs and printed products which uses more fossil fuels.

And yet, you have never once suggested that I have any deficiencies due to my destruction of the environment.

On the other hand, knowing that if GCG did not drive his truck, someone else would, knowing that in at least one of his recent jobs he drove logs that were taken out of an area that needed thinning to promote forest health, you still insist that his choice of occupation says something meaningful (and bad) about what happens in his mind.

And even if this thread is passive aggressive, and I don't agree, one or two passive aggressive posts from CGC is barely noticeable next to your mountain of passive aggressive posts. Be the change you wish to see.
I was under the impression that GCG drives a truck all the time.
(05-12-2013, 09:23 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:20 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Starting a thread targeted at me is a passive aggressive barb in itself. If he feels so inadequate, perhaps it's because he's involved in a crude occupation that destroys the wilderness we live with, and that can't be bringing a good feeling.

As if you never started a thread about another forum member?

That wasn't the point, however. Rowen said GCG "rarely goes on the offensive, not even with little passive aggressive barbs." My response was, yes he did. And the point remains.
(05-12-2013, 09:15 AM)Scrapper Wrote: This thread is ridiculous.
If you allow another person to make you feel inadequate in any way... maybe you are dumb.

Gee whiz, Scrapper. Did I say, or even imply, that Ponder's comments made me feel inadequate or inferior?

I see the world in a different way than Ponder, or you, or Clone, or cletus, or tvguy or just about everyone on this forum. I do NOT see my views as being superior, or inferior, or more or less enlightened, or anything like that. Just different.

There are some that have visited here that I do recognize as being more intelligent than I. Ponder isn't one of them.