Regarding the perceived "dumbing down"
(05-12-2013, 09:26 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:15 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:10 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:52 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:43 AM)PonderThis Wrote: To them, anything above cornpone seems dangerous.

You have the nerve to suggest that you do not see yourself as superior? Yet, in your very post denying it, you can't help yourself.

"Let me be blunt. I am a log truck driver. I am around other log truck drivers and loggers all day-every day. These people are often filthy, unshaved, toothless, stinky people." GCG

So what? What does that say about GCG except that he can articulate things clearly.

Whether or not he is filthy, unshaven, has all his teeth, or stinks (none of which he admits to, he merely says other people he works with are like that), he can articulate things clearly, and rarely goes on the offensive, not even with little passive aggressive barbs.

I may not share his opinions, but I have found him someone worth talking to; someone who can hold one opinion and listen to others without shutting them out.

The fact that he drives a logging truck says nothing about him other than the fact that he has a truckers license, and he is willing to transport logs.

Ponder can't admit you are right so he tries an alternate attack and to change the subject. Also it should be noted that GCG has mentioned several times that he rarely even drives a truck. And Ponder knows this.

This, from you? You're right, in this instance, but don't pretend that you don't do the same thing, over and over and over.
(05-12-2013, 09:23 AM)Wonky Wrote: Some of the above comments are telling.

Literally leaping to the old traditions of swing and duck, it sounds like a song played over and over.
TVg, I swear you are incapable of leaving Ponders comments "well enough alone".

How do you know? What makes you think I need to or have a desire to leave his comments alone.
It doesn't bother me to respond like it apparent bothers you to read. What the hell did you expect from a thread targeting Ponder?
Now go out in the yard and move something around.Razz
One need do no more than read this one thread to understand how and why this forum appears to be dumbing down.
Few, if any in this thread are innocent of not being party to the dumb down.
(05-12-2013, 09:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:23 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:20 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Starting a thread targeted at me is a passive aggressive barb in itself. If he feels so inadequate, perhaps it's because he's involved in a crude occupation that destroys the wilderness we live with, and that can't be bringing a good feeling.

As if you never started a thread about another forum member?

That wasn't the point, however. Rowen said GCG "rarely goes on the offensive, not even with little passive aggressive barbs." My response was, yes he did. And the point remains.

I said "rarely", not "never". The implication being that you put those barbs into post after post after post.
(05-12-2013, 09:30 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:26 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:52 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: You have the nerve to suggest that you do not see yourself as superior? Yet, in your very post denying it, you can't help yourself.

"Let me be blunt. I am a log truck driver. I am around other log truck drivers and loggers all day-every day. These people are often filthy, unshaved, toothless, stinky people." GCG

So what? What does that say about GCG except that he can articulate things clearly.

Whether or not he is filthy, unshaven, has all his teeth, or stinks (none of which he admits to, he merely says other people he works with are like that), he can articulate things clearly, and rarely goes on the offensive, not even with little passive aggressive barbs.

I may not share his opinions, but I have found him someone worth talking to; someone who can hold one opinion and listen to others without shutting them out.

The fact that he drives a logging truck says nothing about him other than the fact that he has a truckers license, and he is willing to transport logs.

Ponder can't admit you are right so he tries an alternate attack and to change the subject. Also it should be noted that GCG has mentioned several times that he rarely even drives a truck. And Ponder knows this.

This, from you? You're right, in this instance, but don't pretend that you don't do the same thing, over and over and over.

I don't think what you are remembering is the same thing. I do not purposely pretend I don't know something. I don't pretend to be obtuse. If I say I don't understand I really don'tLaughing I'm not purposely dishonest with the way I debate. Ponder is often guilty of this.
(05-12-2013, 09:31 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:20 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Starting a thread targeted at me is a passive aggressive barb in itself. If he feels so inadequate, perhaps it's because he's involved in a crude occupation that destroys the wilderness we live with, and that can't be bringing a good feeling.

That wasn't the point, however. Rowen said GCG "rarely goes on the offensive, not even with little passive aggressive barbs." My response was, yes he did. And the point remains.

I said "rarely", not "never". The implication being that you put those barbs into post after post after post.

How many posters here would you say receive those barbs? And what do those posters stand for? You should consider those questions before you attack me.

BTW, I have driven truck and done graphic design both. I've tried to do both for purposes of good, too. Neither is inherently evil, although I consider it wise to consider such things, and they do influence ones outlooks on life, too.
(05-12-2013, 09:31 AM)gapper Wrote: One need do no more than read this one thread to understand how and why this forum appears to be dumbing down.

Oh Baloney Sausage Gapper. This is nothing new. It has no impact on anyone who wants to be George Will or Steven Hawking.
I almost never drive these days. But when I do, I find no shame in it. I'm not a rocket scientist but I'm smart enough to know that taking pride in what I do is important.
(05-12-2013, 09:38 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:31 AM)gapper Wrote: One need do no more than read this one thread to understand how and why this forum appears to be dumbing down.

Oh Baloney Sausage Gapper. This is nothing new. It has no impact on anyone who wants to be George Will or Steven Hawking.

No one said it was new.
What is new, by my observations, is that there are fewer and fewer participants and the petty assed back and forth of this thread is why, in my not so humble opinion.
Maybe it's just me, but I found food fights and so called fist fights, which were really more chest bumping and posturing, boring as a kid, too.
(05-12-2013, 09:39 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I almost never drive these days. But when I do, I find no shame in it. I'm not a rocket scientist but I'm smart enough to know that taking pride in what I do is important.

There's no shame in driving, indeed it's a skilled occupation. Driving in an occupation that mainly involves destruction of nature however has bound to affect ones outlook.
(05-12-2013, 09:38 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:31 AM)csrowan Wrote:

How many posters here would you say receive those barbs? And what do those posters stand for? You should consider those questions before you attack me.

BTW, I have driven truck and done graphic design both. I've tried to do both for purposes of good, too. Neither is inherently evil, although I consider it wise to consider such things, and they do influence ones outlooks on life, too.

Wait...you are implying that CS is attacking you by simply stating the fact that you poke at people incessantly?

Now that 's funny!

CS doesn't attack people, he's one of the few forumites that doesn't do that.
(05-12-2013, 09:44 AM)gapper Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:38 AM)tvguy Wrote:

By my observation, what is new is that there are fewer and fewer participants and the petty assed back and forth of this thread is why, in my not so humble opinion.

YOU are new.Relatively. This forum participating has always gone up and down and probably always will.
I think what I see now is people playing a blame game. Like it's my fault Leonard is gone. That's a crock. I was not responding to many of his threads. No one was. IMO that's why he's gone.
Seemed pretty clear he was upset no one wanted to read or discuss his many thread topics that usually had to do with how corrupt evil or sick the governments and the American people are. As he said they were more interested in cooking or other mundane things.
(05-12-2013, 09:45 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 09:39 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I almost never drive these days. But when I do, I find no shame in it. I'm not a rocket scientist but I'm smart enough to know that taking pride in what I do is important.

There's no shame in driving, indeed it's a skilled occupation. Driving in an occupation that mainly involves destruction of nature however has bound to affect ones outlook.

I don't see most logging as destruction of nature. Some is. Some isn't.
100% of what I see in South Douglas County east of I-5 (where I live, and have to look at or drive through to get anywhere) leaves the land looking like a giant gaping war zone. I don't believe there can be any moral justification for the logging I see, as it's practiced.

And if the people that participate in this kind of work somehow feel inadequate, then they should examine their own lives for why they feel this way. It might be that there's no real happiness in destroying our world for a living.
(05-12-2013, 09:45 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

Sitting at home with a bong "judging" is much better for ones outlook.Big Grin

This should be a thread topic. People like you who consider logging a destruction of nature and live in a house that used more timber than most houses should be discussed.
People who can't understand what sustainable logging is and who live in a freaking log house are really interestingLaughing
The same is true for People who can't comprehend that hunting is also sustainable and quite necessary today to manage our wildlife.
(05-12-2013, 08:52 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:43 AM)PonderThis Wrote: To them, anything above cornpone seems dangerous.

You have the nerve to suggest that you do not see yourself as superior? Yet, in your very post denying it, you can't help yourself.

To me the problem with holding opinions, even well articulated ones does not make that opinion a fact.

It is long past time to simply go for facts and not opinions* because people with opinions not based on fact are really not worth listening too.

Man made global climate change deniers and their ''opinions'' or Bush/Cheney and their opinion on WMD's, the Bible is the word of God or critics hate America comes readily to mind.

And it takes a real man or woman to admit their opinions were wrong and willing to move on with the facts.

*A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
(05-12-2013, 10:04 AM)Leonard Wrote:
(05-12-2013, 08:52 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: [quote='PonderThis' pid='281789' dateline='1368373403']
To them, anything above cornpone seems dangerous.

Quote: Leonard...To me the problem with holding opinions, even well articulated ones does not make that opinion a fact.

That's true. But but Rowans comment stated as facts were facts IN HIS OPINION and I don't think that needed to be explained.

Must we precede everything we say with "IMO"
(05-12-2013, 09:57 AM)tvguy Wrote: People who can't understand what sustainable logging is and who live in a freaking log house are really interestingLaughing

The logging that Ponder describes that is taking place in a lot of Douglas County is not sustainable. Anyone that lived here during the 50's, 60's and 70's should be able to recognize that.
Sustainable logging is possible, but not by clear cutting massive tracts of land that take will take approx. 40 years to grow back. And, even in the short term that that type of logging is sustained, it ignores the cost to us all via environmental degradation. If you haven't flown over the area between Grants Pass and Portland lately, you might be surprised by the amount of ridge top clear cutting taking place.

I understand this is off the topic of "dumbing down", but sometimes some dumbing up is in order, and helps break the monotony of "he said, she/he said": "Huh!! He said it first and didn't know what I really meant!", "No sir HE said it first and knows damn well what the pussy really meant!!!...."Nu uh, you are full of shit and don't know what I meant and who said it first!"........ and the beat goes on.....Rolling Eyes
Few, if any in this thread are innocent of not being party to the dumb down.
I don't know about dumb, but I'll go for barren at times. In my opinion most of the people that post here are wrapped way too tight. This forum is too volatile for most people so people that don't want to fight constantly stop posting or never start.
(05-12-2013, 10:59 AM)gapper Wrote: I understand this is off the topic of "dumbing down", but sometimes some dumbing up is in order

I like the concept of "dumbing up".