Stranger to stranger child knapping thwarted.
June 11, 2013

That section of town has been getting worse and worse. The creepiest stories keep coming from up that way. At least this one was thwarted and stopped.

Quote:By Mark Freeman
Mail Tribune
Police on Monday arrested a 47-year-old transient who tried to snatch a 5-year-old boy away from his mother on a west Medford corner in what police are calling a rare stranger-to-stranger attempted abduction here.

Robert Vincent Jones is accused of grabbing the boy while he was walking with his mother and trying to drag him into an orange Ford Mustang with a black hood at about 9:18 a.m. Monday at the intersection of Monroe and Grape streets, police said.
The mother intervened, and the pair escaped to her nearby car. Jones allegedly fled the scene as the mother called police from her cellphone, authorities said. "This is a straight-up stranger (attempted) abduction," Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said.
"These cases are very rare. Stranger abductions in Medford happen every 10 to 20 years.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../306110312
Holy crapola! Scary stuff!
I'm curious why the GP police are seemingly quick to disassociate this incident from the on in GP last week. It sounds very similar to me.........
It is scary but, thankfully, pretty rare.
Maybe they feel it is unrelated?
(06-11-2013, 09:01 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Holy crapola! Scary stuff!

Probably only wanted to give him candy.
(06-11-2013, 09:13 AM)gapper Wrote: I'm curious why the GP police are seemingly quick to disassociate this incident from the on in GP last week. It sounds very similar to me.........
It is scary but, thankfully, pretty rare.

The man in GP was " was described as about 50 years old with a dark complexion and a goatee, and the vehicle was described as a red Dodge Challenger with a black stripe down the hood"

The picture of this suspect is totally different.
Even though the kidnapping was unsuccessful, this kid is in for a tough time. He is old enough to remember this and his mother will almost certainly be terrified for months or years to come. Her fear will surely be magnified on the kid.
(06-11-2013, 08:14 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Even though the kidnapping was unsuccessful, this kid is in for a tough time. He is old enough to remember this and his mother will almost certainly be terrified for months or years to come. Her fear will surely be magnified on the kid.

It is possible, that's for sure. Hopefully she will be strong enough not to do this to herself or her child.

I think it strange that a man would try to kidnap a kid with his mother right there. Why would he do that? Maybe he wanted to be caught?
(06-11-2013, 08:14 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Even though the kidnapping was unsuccessful, this kid is in for a tough time. He is old enough to remember this and his mother will almost certainly be terrified for months or years to come. Her fear will surely be magnified on the kid.

He could become traumatized, grow up to be mentally unstable and commit crimes like kidnapping.
When will this cycle ever end?
Blame it on Reagan.
(06-11-2013, 10:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Blame it on Reagan.

There is a lot of truth to your statement, sadly.
Cutting support for the mentally ill was a huge mistake and one need look no further than most freeway on or off ramp to see the outcome.

This guy is a mess and has created a lot of fear, confusion and heart break for innocent people.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../306120327
(06-12-2013, 07:22 AM)gapper Wrote:
(06-11-2013, 10:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Blame it on Reagan.

There is a lot of truth to your statement, sadly.
Cutting support for the mentally ill was a huge mistake and one need look no further than most freeway on or off ramp to see the outcome.

This guy is a mess and has created a lot of fear, confusion and heart break for innocent people.
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../306120327

Which is why I said it.Wink
And now they are dropping the charges. It didn't seem to meet the criteria for "kidnapping". But it is rather terrifying to think he will be back out on the streets.