Forget neighborhood watch, try Glock Block
I'm thinking this will definitely make a criminal think twice before they target this neighborhood. Smiling

Quote:Neighbors organize ‘Glock Block’ after increase in crime

Posted: Jun 18, 2013 7:37 AM PST Updated: Jun 18, 2013 10:18 AM PST

KOIN 6 News / Ellen Hansen KOIN 6 News / Ellen Hansen

CLACKAMAS COUNTY, Ore. -

After an increase in crime, residents of an Oregon neighborhood have decided to take up arms instead of involving the police.

According to the DailyMailOnline, neighbors have organized what they call a ‘Glock Block,’ after several residents obtained concealed carry permits.

Fliers posted around the neighborhood read, 'This is a Glock Block, We don't call 911.'

While most of the crime has involved incidents of petty theft and vandalism, residents still say they have had enough.

The group says they practice responsible use of weapons.

Police have caution the group against pursuing vigilante justice if crimes are spotted.

Police make a note of cautioning anyone from pursuing vigilante justice, though armed citizens have become more common deterrents to crime.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/22620775/ne...z2Wak2tpkW
I don't know what the situation is in Clackamas County but wouldn't it be better to raise taxes to pay for a larger police force? "Glock Block" sounds like a lot of chest pounding to me, with people waiting for their chance to shoot a bad guy. Trayvon Martin comes to mind.
An ugly lawsuit just waiting to happen.
Why is it that for some people the solution to everything is to raise taxes? We don't need more government, we need less. People are far too dependent on government to take care if them. Self reliance is what we need. When seconds count are you going to call the police that take minutes to even be dispatched? When the big one hits and our bridges go down and roads are blocked are you going to depend on government or on yourselves?
Why is it that for some people the solution to everything is either killing or threatening to kill?
I've never met a person that has said the solution to everything is to raise taxes. I am betting no one else has either.
The article says nothing about raising taxes. This is a reaction to a rise in crime. The first over zealous macho man or woman that off's some tweaker looking to steal a lawn mower will likely learn the hard way that there is a reason to call the police rather than play vigilante.
(06-19-2013, 06:55 PM)gapper Wrote: I've never met a person that has said the solution to everything is to raise taxes. I am betting no one else has either.
The article says nothing about raising taxes. This is a reaction to a rise in crime. The first over zealous macho man or woman that off's some tweaker looking to steal a lawn mower will likely learn the hard way that there is a reason to call the police rather than play vigilante.

Did you bother to read Tennis Mom's post?
(06-19-2013, 07:52 PM)SFLiberal Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 06:55 PM)gapper Wrote: I've never met a person that has said the solution to everything is to raise taxes. I am betting no one else has either.

Did you bother to read Tennis Mom's post?

Sure did. Maybe you should read it again. I don't see asking why not raise taxes for more police as wanting to raise taxes for "everything". I don't even see the word "everything" in her post.
Remember the incident in NYC where there was a shooter outside the Empire State Building? The police arrived on the scene and nine bystanders were injured by bullets. Nine! These officers are highly trained, yet their aim is still, shall we say, suspect (I hate to see what their toilet seats look like at home). If a trained police force can make mistakes like that, imagine a bunch of yahoos on patrol with their Glocks can do. No thank you. I'd rather cough up the money for more trained officers (however imperfect they are). The likelihood of a tragic incident would decrease with real cops around rather than wannabees.
(06-20-2013, 11:57 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Remember the incident in NYC where there was a shooter outside the Empire State Building? The police arrived on the scene and nine bystanders were injured by bullets. Nine! These officers are highly trained, yet their aim is still, shall we say, suspect (I hate to see what their toilet seats look like at home). If a trained police force can make mistakes like that, imagine a bunch of yahoos on patrol with their Glocks can do. No thank you. I'd rather cough up the money for more trained officers (however imperfect they are). The likelihood of a tragic incident would decrease with real cops around rather than wannabees.

So I gather you are in favor of raising taxes so we can put police or armed guards in our schools?

Just remember that the shepherds and the sheep dogs aren't always going to be around to defend the sheep. Best be prepared.

[Image: kkkkkkk.jpg]

[Image: hdhdhd-1.jpg]
Hmmm, I wonder what parts of the world look like were people have guns everywhere and don't need police, or have very few. Even kids have guns. I wonder. Well I bet they are very safe places. Stand your ground.!
This is a conservative problem. We should shrink gov't to the point of self protection and become.....third world? Do you know how to handle a gun, nope. You'll learn.
Welcome to the Middle East?
Gotta go Gunsmoke is on..
Willy, If you don't feel you have a need to own a firearm to protect you and your family then by all means don't buy one buy or own one. That's your choice. Just pray that if the situation should ever arrive where seconds count and the police are minutes away you can hide and cower and pray the police can get there in time. Me? I'll keep my Glock and my AR15 and protect my family. Different strokes for different folks. That's what's great about this country. We have a constitution that allows the individual to choose. We can place all our hope in the government to take care of our every need and protect and defend us, or we can arm ourselves and protect our families until the calvary arrives. You choose the former, I choose the latter. I prefer my odds.
You're not a very good oddsmaker though. It's well known that having a gun in the house makes people statistically less safe. I've provided references for this far too many times to drag it out again.
Ponder. I'll take my chances. Thanks for the concern though.
I fully support your right to have a statistically less safe family though, and someday you or a family member might need to commit suicide with it, too. Our constitution grants you these rights.
(06-19-2013, 06:25 PM)SFLiberal Wrote: Why is it that for some people the solution to everything is to raise taxes? We don't need more government, we need less. People are far too dependent on government to take care if them. Self reliance is what we need. When seconds count are you going to call the police that take minutes to even be dispatched? When the big one hits and our bridges go down and roads are blocked are you going to depend on government or on yourselves?

(06-23-2013, 07:02 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: Willy, If you don't feel you have a need to own a firearm to protect you and your family then by all means don't buy one buy or own one. That's your choice. Just pray that if the situation should ever arrive where seconds count and the police are minutes away you can hide and cower and pray the police can get there in time. Me? I'll keep my Glock and my AR15 and protect my family. Different strokes for different folks. That's what's great about this country. We have a constitution that allows the individual to choose. We can place all our hope in the government to take care of our every need and protect and defend us, or we can arm ourselves and protect our families until the calvary arrives. You choose the former, I choose the latter. I prefer my odds.

I have no issue with gun ownership as you describe. It would be nice to make sure those owners have brains that work right. However re: "Glock Block" we don't call 911 is the subject and you suggest less gov't and more self reliance.
This suggest vigilantism and third world solutions. You then try to take off the streets and into the home and toss out a pejorative about cowering.

Yes to my premise of Glock Watch and neighborhoods that say we don't call 911.
It doesn't make you safe.

One of the issues with hard rightwing ideology is that the very reason gov't was formed thru' countless centuries, public safety. Called law and order.
You attempt to reinforce your argument by inserting issues of your own making.
Having effective policing doesn't mean as you wrote "We can place all our hope in the government to take care of our every need and protect and defend us.."
Who has suggested "take care of every need?"
This expanded an argument to fit your needs, one does not follow the other, that is to say a call for better policing does not follow meeting every need. A post hoc argument?
(06-21-2013, 11:48 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: [quote='TennisMom' pid='287516' dateline='1371754647']
Remember the incident in NYC where there was a shooter outside the Empire State Building? The police arrived on the scene and nine bystanders were injured by bullets. Nine! These officers are highly trained, yet their aim is still, shall we say, suspect (I hate to see what their toilet seats look like at home). If a trained police force can make mistakes like that, imagine a bunch of yahoos on patrol with their Glocks can do. No thank you. I'd rather cough up the money for more trained officers (however imperfect they are). The likelihood of a tragic incident would decrease with real cops around rather than wannabees.

So I gather you are in favor of raising taxes so we can put police or armed guards in our schools?

Umm, I believe the topic was about 'Neighborhood Watch', not school watch. That said, having armed guards at schools might be palatable but not armed teachers and students.
'Nother subject for 'nother day.