Senate panel OKs renewal of timber county funding
Quote:June 18, 2013

A U. S. Senate committee has endorsed legislation to extend federal subsidies for timber counties one more year, and to protect more wilderness and wild rivers in Oregon.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../306180348
as i was saying the money will be there and always vote no on tax levies dont believe the fear mongers specifically the joco county comms.
(06-18-2013, 09:52 PM)ROYAL GOLD Wrote: as i was saying the money will be there and always vote no on tax levies dont believe the fear mongers specifically the joco county comms.

Have you done any reading on it, if it is approved the state will get about $100 million. That has to be divided up around all the counties in the state, 100 million will not go that far. Also I know one of the articles I was reading said they were talking about the lack of law enforcement, the act is called Secure Rural School act, I think some of the money may have to go to the schools also. As well as other things. So that money is getting to be less and less. And so far it is only a year. At some point your area is going to have to start paying more for law enforcement. You all are going to have to start paying more in property taxes.
(06-19-2013, 04:46 AM)blondemom Wrote: You all are going to have to start paying more in property taxes.

We may have to send a few more tornadoes your way for that statement. Smiling
(06-19-2013, 05:46 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 04:46 AM)blondemom Wrote: You all are going to have to start paying more in property taxes.

This area has 3 large ones in 12 days that is enough.
You don't even want to know what I pay in home owner insurance. Big Grin

Last year I paid over $1800.00 for my property taxes and they are going to go up because we voted for the levy for the schools. And to be honest if it comes up that they want more law enforcement I will vote for that levy also. But we also have a sales tax here that help and we have business here as well as other industries that you all do not have.
I was just going to delete that comment, after reading about your nightmares I decided it might have been a bit insensitive. I can't even imagine living in tornado country, or hurricane country either one. My main worries are forest fires and the every 200-300 year earthquake (of which we're due one).
(06-19-2013, 06:24 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I was just going to delete that comment, after reading about your nightmares I decided it might have been a bit insensitive. I can't even imagine living in tornado country, or hurricane country either one. My main worries are forest fires and the every 200-300 year earthquake (of which we're due one).

No worries, my husband works for a great company that is providing counseling for the employees and their family right now. And with all the stress I am under something has to give. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, hell I don't even really shop unless I have to.

I am just really glad that I am in an area that has first responders like we do, and that when I call 911 or I call the police or sheriff I can talk to someone. I do not have to leave a message, or ask someone to leave my house because no one can get out here to help me.
Somehow the lack of 911 services doesn't bother me. I don't even think of them, actually, since where I'm at is 30 minutes or more away from help even under the best of circumstances anyway.
Blondemom, $1800 per year in property taxes? WOW WOW WOW. The taxes on the house we left in CT are now almost $20,000. The northeast has crazy property taxes. The schools are unbeatable but carry a high price tag. They spend about $19,000 per student, so if you have two kids in the schools you are getting a deal. Still...... Twitch

Until Oregon institutes a sales tax, we'll always live life on the edge when it comes to funding our needs. I'm not on a crusade, jus' sayin'.
(06-19-2013, 12:45 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Blondemom, $1800 per year in property taxes? WOW WOW WOW. The taxes on the house we left in CT are now almost $20,000. The northeast has crazy property taxes. The schools are unbeatable but carry a high price tag. They spend about $19,000 per student, so if you have two kids in the schools you are getting a deal. Still...... Twitch

Until Oregon institutes a sales tax, we'll always live life on the edge when it comes to funding our needs. I'm not on a crusade, jus' sayin'.

When they figure the taxes when the levy get added in it will probably be around 2 grand. And we do have a sales tax. But our state income tax is going to be going down. And you know I like our schools. People say how little the state spend per student but let me tell you my kids are getting a better education than we did when we were there.
(06-19-2013, 01:15 PM)blondemom Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 12:45 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Blondemom, $1800 per year in property taxes? WOW WOW WOW. The taxes on the house we left in CT are now almost $20,000. The northeast has crazy property taxes. The schools are unbeatable but carry a high price tag. They spend about $19,000 per student, so if you have two kids in the schools you are getting a deal. Still...... Twitch

When they figure the taxes when the levy get added in it will probably be around 2 grand. And we do have a sales tax. But our state income tax is going to be going down. And you know I like our schools. People say how little the state spend per student but let me tell you my kids are getting a better education than we did when we were there.

I'm glad your kids are getting a good shake where you live. Even without a lot of money, kids with the right support system can do very well indeed. Thumbs Up
(06-18-2013, 09:52 PM)ROYAL GOLD Wrote: as i was saying the money will be there and always vote no on tax levies dont believe the fear mongers specifically the joco county comms.

The amount and timing of funds arrival would be like a fire truck arriving after the flames died out.

Really a drop in the bucket funding and by the time all the fees are figured in, not much in direct services to all in county.

You need to read the legislation because it comes at a Large Price of giving up more land for scenic and wilderness areas.

It's almost like a take it or leave it deal, want the funding, you got to approve the additional cordoning off of lands.
(06-19-2013, 02:31 PM)Prospector Wrote:

The amount and timing of funds arrival would be like a fire truck arriving after the flames died out.

Really a drop in the bucket funding and by the time all the fees are figured in, not much in direct services to all in county.

You need to read the legislation because it comes at a Large Price of giving up more land for scenic and wilderness areas.

It's almost like a take it or leave it deal, want the funding, you got to approve the additional cordoning off of lands.

"cordoning off of lands"????

Show me a wilderness area or wild and scenic rivers that is "cordoned off".

More fiction from the self proclaimed "facts" guy.

1cor·don
noun \?ko?r-d?n, -?dän\
Definition of CORDON
a : an ornamental cord or ribbon
b : stringcourse
a : a line of troops or of military posts enclosing an area to prevent passage
b : a line of persons or objects around a person or place <a cordon of police>
: an espalier especially of a fruit tree trained as a single horizontal shoot or two diverging horizontal shoots in a single line
(06-19-2013, 05:46 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

careful with that statement your having tornadoes there in Oregon. You all had those up in McMinnville, and then the EF-0 yesterday in Roseburg. http://www.kpic.com/news/local/Tiny-torn...194671.htm
I mean you all you becoming a tornado alley of the NW Razz
(06-19-2013, 03:01 PM)gapper Wrote:

1cor·don
noun \?k?r-d?n, -?dän\
Definition of CORDON
: an espalier especially of a fruit tree trained as a single horizontal shoot or two diverging horizontal shoots in a single line

Ah, the "mouth" speaks again without ever reading one line of the legislation!

As usual you rather attack or throw barbs that present a TRUE FACT on your own merit!

If you had done one bit of research the term "cordone" was used by the media, your favorite JOCO commissioner, and others not in favor of adding more lands to areas like the National Cave

Try presenting a counter argument for change without a personal attack!
(06-19-2013, 08:45 PM)Prospector Wrote:

1cor·don
noun \?k?r-d?n, -?dän\
Definition of CORDON

As usual you rather attack or throw barbs that present a TRUE FACT on your own merit!

If you had done one bit of research the term "cordone" was used by the media, your favorite JOCO commissioner, and others not in favor of adding more lands to areas like the National Cave

I don't care where all the word is used. The TRUE FACT is, as I stated, Wilderness and Wild and scenic protections don't cordon off anything. That is the fact that disputes what you wrote.

In FACT, our local Wild and Scenic area hosts thousands of visitors and creates millions of dollars in tourist revenue each and every year.

And, another FACT is that many hunters and hikers alike seek Wilderness areas to get away from cars and crowds.

BTW, nice touch putting the misspelled cordon in quotes. Sshheessshhh........... and the dictionary spelling and definition was right above it! It adds a lot to your credibility as a FACT guy. Laughing
(06-19-2013, 04:46 AM)blondemom Wrote:

Have you done any reading on it, if it is approved the state will get about $100 million. That has to be divided up around all the counties in the state, 100 million will not go that far. Also I know one of the articles I was reading said they were talking about the lack of law enforcement, the act is called Secure Rural School act, I think some of the money may have to go to the schools also. As well as other things. So that money is getting to be less and less. And so far it is only a year. At some point your area is going to have to start paying more for law enforcement. You all are going to have to start paying more in property taxes.

i dont think so tax levies will never pass in joco, not with almost no trust in county government, a bunch of liars and people that are completely out of touch with the voters.
(06-19-2013, 09:02 PM)gapper Wrote:

1cor·don
noun \?k?r-d?n, -?dän\
Definition of CORDON

I don't care where all the word is used. The TRUE FACT is, as I stated, Wilderness and Wild and scenic protections don't cordon off anything. That is the fact that disputes what you wrote.

where are your facts? Have you read the restrictions placed on what can or can't be done in these areas? In some areas, even the riding of a horse with a pack horse is forbidden.

In FACT, our local Wild and Scenic area hosts thousands of visitors and creates millions of dollars in tourist revenue each and every year.

oh? What fact? Thousands? Who says? Millions of dollars? You know this because the Chamber gave you an guess? If true, business would be booming, not closing

And, another FACT is that many hunters and hikers alike seek Wilderness areas to get away from cars and crowds.

Again, where are your FACTS? In these areas, hunting and fishing have been either severely restricted, or eliminated, read the federal legislation plus State rules.

BTW, nice touch putting the misspelled cordon in quotes. Sshheessshhh........... and the dictionary spelling and definition was right above it! It adds a lot to your credibility as a FACT guy. :lol:

Oh, grammar and spelling police, heh? Don't go there, we can pull many examples of your trip ups!
You always have the negative, the veil barb, and NEVER produce a FACTUAL argument.

When you get caught with your drawers down, you just ignore the counter statement and move on to attack the next post, I bet you get your butt kicked a lot in personal conversations. God help ya in a bar conversation, momma won't be there to pull ya pants up.

Well off to the coast for fun and sand dunes, it must be tough to be you
[/b]
(06-20-2013, 10:08 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 02:31 PM)Prospector Wrote: The amount and timing of funds arrival would be like a fire truck arriving after the flames died out.

1cor·don
noun \?k?r-d?n, -?dän\
Definition of CORDON

where is your facts? Have you read the restrictions placed on what can or can't be done in these areas? In some areas, even the riding of a horse in the area is forbidden.

oh? What fact? Thousands? Who says? Millions of dollars?

Again, where is your FACTS? In these areas, hunting and fishing have been either severely restricted, or eliminated, read the federal legislation plus State rules

BTW, nice touch putting the misspelled cordon in quotes. Sshheessshhh........... and the dictionary spelling and definition was right above it! It adds a lot to your credibility as a FACT guy. Laughing

Oh, grammar and spelling police, heh? Don't go there! You always have the negative, the veil barb, and NEVER produce a FACTUAL argument.

When you get caught with your drawers down, you just ignore the statement and move on to attack the next post,

Off to the coast for fun and sand dunes, it must be tough to be you
[/b]Eyebrows

So far, I'm the only one in this thread that has supplied any facts.
Yet, you keep insisting I don't while throwing personal attacks.
I guess that's all you've got?

One more chance, show me any Wilderness area or Wild and Scenic area that is "cordoned off".

Meanwhile, educate yourself...
http://wildroguealliance.org/files/Rogue...Report.pdf
(06-20-2013, 10:08 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(06-19-2013, 02:31 PM)Prospector Wrote: The amount and timing of funds arrival would be like a fire truck arriving after the flames died out.

1cor·don
noun \?k?r-d?n, -?dän\
Definition of CORDON

where is your facts? Have you read the restrictions placed on what can or can't be done in these areas? In some areas, even the riding of a horse in the area is forbidden.

oh? What fact? Thousands? Who says? Millions of dollars?

Again, where is your FACTS? In these areas, hunting and fishing have been either severely restricted, or eliminated, read the federal legislation plus State rules

Oh, grammar and spelling police, heh? Don't go there! You always have the negative, the veil barb, and NEVER produce a FACTUAL argument.

When you get caught with your drawers down, you just ignore the statement and move on to attack the next post,

Off to the coast for fun and sand dunes, it must be tough to be you
[/b]Eyebrows

Quote:Regional Economic Impacts of Recreation on the Wild and Scenic Rogue River

River-based recreation on the Wild & Scenic Rogue River, including rafting, fishing, hiking, and jetboat tours, accounted for over $30 million in total economic output, including $15.4 million in personal income, and 445 full- and part-time jobs.

Oregon-based outfitters were responsible for 91% of commercial activity on the Wild Rogue. Of this, outfitters based in Josephine County were responsible for 38%.

Approximately 93% of guests on commercial rafting and fishing trips came from areas outside of southwestern Oregon and 72% came from outside of Oregon.

Visitors to the Wild and Scenic Rogue accounted for three out of every four lodging guests in the local area during the four-month Wild Rogue permit season (May 15 through October 15).

The designation of this portion of the Rogue River as a National Wild and Scenic River has contributed to the longrun economic growth in Josephine County and southwestern Oregon.

Increased federal protection of critical tributaries to the Wild Rogue would have positive short-run economic effects, and further enhance the long-run economic benefits accruing to Josephine County and the State of Oregon.

report from ECONorthwest (Jan 2009)
- See more at: http://kswild.org/what-we-do/siskiyou-wi...I2dQn.dpuf

Quote:While the majority of my friends moved to larger cities to take advantage of more varied education and employment opportunities, my love of the Rogue, its watersheds and all that they have to offer, compelled me to stay home. I have made my living and supported my family selling outdoor recreation equipment and sporting goods, a $2.5 billion industry in Oregon. This industry depends on healthy rivers and forests.

Tourism and recreation are important to the economy and rely on protecting our resources; however, other experiences have demonstrated that there are millions of dollars more in benefits associated with the quality of life in the region provided by a clean, attractive river corridor with healthy fish runs and intact watersheds. The Rotary that I am a member of recently heard from a local hospital CEO who explained that our river and the wild areas around it are important elements in recruiting doctors and other health care professionals to the area. Also, during my eight years serving on the local school district's board of directors, our outdoor quality of life was incredibly important in attracting applicants. These professionals all contribute to our economy, often with more discretionary income than others. An investment in our Wild and Scenic Rogue is an investment in the stability of our economy.

The Rogue Basin's local economy, culture and heritage are based on the Rogue River and its supporting watersheds. Further protections are needed to ensure that the health of our irreplaceable Rogue is secure for the benefit of future generations.
http://blog.oregonlive.com/myoregon/2012...er_he.html

Quote:Tourism:

Each year millions of visitors enjoy the unique experiences offered by Oregon and Washington’s BLM public lands including rock climbing, birdwatching, fishing, hiking, camping, hunting, river rafting, and mountain biking. These attractions generate income that supports local jobs,merchants and small businesses.

7,962,017 million recreation visits to BLM lands

70 recreation sites

27 rivers totaling 1,082 miles available for water recreation activities

$1.9 million collected in annual recreation permits and fees
http://www.blm.gov/or/socioeconomic/file...utions.pdf