11 year old autistic girl tased on 1-5
I'm reserving opinion on this, because I don't really know all the facts of the story, but it's burning a hole in websites, facebook and message boards.

ASHLAND, Ore. – State police confirm the young girl found wandering naked and confused along I-5 early Sunday morning was apprehended with a Taser.

Officials say that woman is a juvenile. She was found just after 4:00 a.m. between mileposts 18 and 19, apparently unresponsive and unaware of her surroundings, and it was Adam Bednar who found her.

“I stopped the car in the middle of the freeway, I backed up. She kind of looked in my window, she kind of laughed and just kept on walking,” said Bednar.

Bednar says he drove alongside her while he called police. He says the trooper who arrived called for her to stop, and when she didn’t respond threatened twice to taze her. After giving no response, two little red dots appeared on her back, then metal barbs.

“She seized up and she fell face first on the ground,” said Bednar.

State police officials say it was necessary to prevent her from wandering further into the road and putting herself in danger. Bednar, who helped troopers apprehend the girl on the hood of his car, says he isn’t so sure.

“She wasn’t going off the road, she was set on walking down the freeway,” said Bednar. “And I think that, had [the trooper] waited for back up, they could have gotten her without the Taser.”

As for the reasons for her behavior, OSP says she likely has Autism. Bednar says whatever it was, it was baffling.

“I thought she was drugged. I thought she was on bath salts, too much meth, something.”

What is certain is that the young girl, whose identity is not being revealed, was not the victim of a crime. She reportedly wandered out of the house, and is now safe with her family.

Officials also say she will not be charged with any crimes because she wasn’t aware of her surroundings.
http://www.kdrv.com/taser-used-on-naked-i-5-wanderer/
Even disabled people must be taught to obey authority unquestionably, same as the rest of us, or there's a heavy price to pay. This training has to be begun while they are still very young, hopefully still in the womb.
" Bednar, who helped troopers apprehend the girl on the hood of his car,"

That makes it sound like she was putting up a fuss even after the shocker. It was good of the cop to think of her saftey and handling the situation without endangering his career. If he would have ran out and snatched her from going onto the highway he would have probably been facing sexual abuse accusations. Getting tazed ain't so bad anyways.
It brings a warm healthy glow to the skin.
You miss TeeVee guy when this happens.
(06-20-2013, 07:19 PM)Willie Krash Wrote: You miss TeeVee guy when this happens.

Well, I don't mind his opinions if we can do it without a flame war.
There's something wrong with tasing a prepubescent child, regardless of gender or state of dress.

I suppose I could come up with a few scenarios in which I might find it justified, but from what I read, I can't see the justification. However, from what little I know of autism, it is possible that she was acting in a way that seemed potentially violent. But there's nothing in the story to suggest that.
Here's the video, the comments are angry.

(06-20-2013, 05:38 PM)Scar Wrote: " Bednar, who helped troopers apprehend the girl on the hood of his car,"

That makes it sound like she was putting up a fuss even after the shocker. It was good of the cop to think of her saftey and handling the situation without endangering his career. If he would have ran out and snatched her from going onto the highway he would have probably been facing sexual abuse accusations. Getting tazed ain't so bad anyways.

It's an odd way to treat someone. A child walking naked in a dangerous area seems a victim not a threat to me. I wasn't there, but there was a witness who was and said she was not behaving erratically or seemingly dangerously. But what police are trained to see as a threat is not what the average public sees. But, if it were my child, or grandchild, I would be pretty upset that he or she had been tased in this situation. She was obviously unarmed. Approaching her and wrapping a blanket around her would have been nice. Once the blanket is on, you can incapacitate more easily if you feel incapacitating a child is necessary. In this kind of scenario, is there an investigation in the same manner as if the officer had discharged a weapon?
(06-20-2013, 08:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 05:38 PM)Scar Wrote: " Bednar, who helped troopers apprehend the girl on the hood of his car,"

It's an odd way to treat someone. A child walking naked in a dangerous area seems a victim not a threat to me. I wasn't there, but there was a witness who was and said she was not behaving erratically or seemingly dangerously. But what police are trained to see as a threat is not what the average public sees. But, if it were my child, or grandchild, I would be pretty upset that he or she had been tased in this situation. She was obviously unarmed. Approaching her and wrapping a blanket around her would have been nice. Once the blanket is on, you can incapacitate more easily if you feel incapacitating a child is necessary. In this kind of scenario, is there an investigation in the same manner as if the officer had discharged a weapon?

The video said there will be an investigation to make sure that the officer acted appropriately.
(06-20-2013, 08:36 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Even the cab driver thought she was high on something(an 11 year old high on bathsalts?). He says also that had they waited for backup they may have avoided using the taser. I think the cabby is a dumbass Ashland boi. She was obviously in need of immediate care she did not want and waiting for backup could have put that child under truck tires.
Well, she's eleven.

The other side of the coin is blaming the parents. How did she get on the Freeway?
(06-20-2013, 09:09 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Well, she's eleven.

The other side of the coin is blaming the parents. How did she get on the Freeway?
No doubt.
The father is up in arms and did an interview with InfowarsBlink
11 years old, naked on the freeway....yeah dad, where were you.
(06-20-2013, 09:18 PM)Scar Wrote:

No doubt.

SPOT ON!
(06-20-2013, 09:36 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 09:18 PM)Scar Wrote:

No doubt.

SPOT ON!

Yup. Dad's got some explaining to do!
She's 11 years old. I assume she knows how to open doors. A minute or two of a phone call or bathroom break, and she could get out and head who-knows-where... and that's assuming she's supposed to be under 24/7 constant supervision.
(06-20-2013, 09:57 PM)csrowan Wrote: She's 11 years old. I assume she knows how to open doors. A minute or two of a phone call or bathroom break, and she could get out and head who-knows-where... and that's assuming she's supposed to be under 24/7 constant supervision.

Been a Dad? Laughing
(06-20-2013, 10:02 PM)Scar Wrote:
(06-20-2013, 09:57 PM)csrowan Wrote: She's 11 years old. I assume she knows how to open doors. A minute or two of a phone call or bathroom break, and she could get out and head who-knows-where... and that's assuming she's supposed to be under 24/7 constant supervision.

Been a Dad? Laughing

I can say without a doubt I did not always know where my 11 year olds were. I also had my 8 year old son "run away" over an imagined infraction and I had no idea where he had gone. Took us 8 hours to find him. Stuff happens.
Was she unarmed?
A little electricity never hurt no one.

[Image: zap.gif]