11 year old autistic girl tased on 1-5
(06-21-2013, 01:16 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Can't Lesbians be OSP troopers? I'd think they'd love the county mountie hat.

(06-21-2013, 01:55 PM)PonderThis Wrote: And the power.

Way to stereotype, guys. Rolling Eyes
I've loved more than one lesbian. Smiling
In series or parallel?
(06-21-2013, 09:48 AM)broadzilla Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 09:29 AM)gapper Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 09:21 AM)broadzilla Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 09:12 AM)Tiamat Wrote: This is the tape that says the girl was husky and the troopers were surprised to learn her age. It says they assume in cases where a person is naked that they may be in a state of "excited delirium" and it also says that it was the child removing a screw from her window that allowed her to get out of the house.

http://www.kdrv.com/father-of-tased-chil...enges-osp/

Yeah...that's OSP's CYA. If they had attended the training (that has been offered a few times in the past two years locally) in dealing with Autistic and/or mentally ill individuals, they would know that it is also commonplace for clothing to be removed due to sensory issues. They would realize the non-responsiveness is also a sign of Autism or other delays. Maybe they would have THOUGHT IT OUT before using force. 4am people, 4am! There is the key to this. Block traffic, and if you are scared...call for backup!

This female police officer needs some retraining. I wonder if she is a rookie?

Whatever...Tia is right...this will just all fade away. People don't really care about awareness. Let's just tase anyone who doesn't act "normal". ASSHATS!

If only she'd had a tat on her ass that said "I'm autistic" this all could have been avoided.
What an ASSHAT attitude your post portrays.

Point taken.

I am upset over how few police officers actually show up for the trainings being held to help them ID those with Autism and how to deal with them. I did not see any OSP officers at the most recent one I attended. There were two or three MPD officers there, and a handful of fire fighters from the various local agencies. In Ashland, the officers actually paid someone to come train their officers a few years back.

It is something worthwhile for the officers to learn. Not just dealing with Autism, but any delays/mental illnesses.

...and YES, by all means...the dad needs help in dealing with his daughter. I hope he reaches out for the help, or accepts the help that is sure to be offered by local agencies after this incident.

Wise words! Be surprise how many are not trained to identify or handle the mentally challenge without using "force!" By the way, the father tried to provide some explanation of his daughter's condition on KMED this AM

"She cannot wear certain types of clothes because of discomfort
She defeated the locking device on her bedroom window
She cannot wear perimeter alert devices because she gnaws or tears at the skin
She is a big girl for age 11, tall and weighs 140
Although autistic, she is clever and observant"

He sounded thankful but wish an alternative had been used
The MMT finally figured this was news. The eyewitness accouns dispute the OSP version of the imperative need to use a Taser. I am not a Taser fan but they have a place and can save lives. Trouble is they seemed to be used less for police safety and all too many times to intimidate. The beauty is they are quick to pull the trigger as no real retribution seems to occur for doing so..There is always a justification and that is were the problem lies.
In the case of the young man that fell from a bridge to the shoulder of the road laying there with a broken back and was tased, the police in this case felt it was justified.
We need a national debate about Tasers and as they can cause death its use should be treated as lethal force and investigated.
Really the police push the envelope and well continue to do so until the public demands otherwise and of course will complained they are handcuffed. They need to deal with casual taser use.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/06...e-highway/
Here's a story, that happened TODAY in ROSEBURG, to help the argument against using tasers.

Quote:MAN DIES IN FRONT OF COURTHOUSE WHILE IN POLICE CUSTODY

An unidentified man died while in police custody in front of the Douglas County Courthouse on Saturday afternoon. Roseburg Police Chief Jim Burge says that the incident began at 3:18pm. Burge told News Radio 1240 KQEN that two or three calls had come in reporting that an older man was yelling and trying to jump on cars in the downtown area. According to reports the man jumped on the hood of an older Volkswagen bug near the corner of Kane and Douglas. That driver called 911.

Police Chief Burge says a fight ensured when Roseburg Police arrived and tried to detain the suspect. After being tased, the man stopped breathing. Burge says an officer immediately began performing CPR on the suspect until emergency personnel could arrive. Their efforts were unsuccessful and the man was pronounced deceased.

As of about 4pm, the Douglas County Major Crimes team was being assembled. Burge said that either the Oregon State Police or the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office would lead the investigation. Burge says that it is standard procedure to have another agency take over the case when someone dies in police custody.

The area around the corner of Douglas and Kane was taped off shortly after the incident. It is expected to remain cordoned off until late Saturday evening.

http://www.541radio.com/MAN-DIES-IN-FRON...U/16654241