11 year old autistic girl tased on 1-5
(06-21-2013, 08:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 08:09 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 08:02 AM)gapper Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 07:44 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 07:37 AM)gapper Wrote: It's 4AM. You are a an OSP patrol officer on I-5. You encounter a naked female that appears to be an adult or teen walking aimlessly along the freeway. (From the edited (sensationalized???) clip it sounds like she may have already crossed the freeway once). She is not wearing a sign that says "I have autism. I am really 11 years old, not the age I look. I can't communicate." You stop and pursue the walker. You twice tell her to stop and she does not. There is traffic and a chance she could be killed. Experience tells you she is likely naked walking along the freeway because she is higher than a kite. What do you do given you've taken an oath to protect the citizens, even from themselves if necessary?

In listening to this edited, likely sensationalized clip, we learn that she has a history of running. You're damn right I blame the dad and see him going public as a way to take our eyes off of him. He should be grateful his daughter was not killed.

Too many are too anxious to blame cops and give the real (ir)responsible party a pass.

http://www.kdrv.com/father-of-tased-chil...enges-osp/

You blame the parents because their daughter managed to remove the safety mechanism they put on her window to keep her from running away?

No where have I seen that the girl removed a safety mechanism, and certainly not in the clip I pasted and responded to. That said, what I do know from the clip I pasted and responded to, according to the father, the girl runs away often. So, if indeed there was a safety mechanism to be released, it appears it may have a history of not working.

To be clear, you're damn right I blame the dad and see him going public as a way to take our eyes off of him. He should be grateful his daughter was not killed.

If I might ask, not to be too personal, are you a father that has raised kids?

From your link, last paragraph:
Quote:This is not the first time Oregon State Troopers have encountered the girl. Other troopers have responded to calls before concerning her leaving home. Hampson says their home is safe and secure – and in this instance his daughter removed a screw that kept her window closed to get out of the house.

I'm not a father. But I used to be a kid and I had very good parents. And I know how easy it is for kids to do things they aren't supposed to do, even with good parenting.
Obviously, a determined kid can get out of a house even when precautions are taken.

But yeah, focus on dad not the cops. She is 11 years old; she could have been picked up and thrown in the back of the patrol car for Chrissakes. Over zealous tazer happy cops is a problem in America. You hear me TVguy?

I have a better idea. Let's not focus on the dad or the cop, and try to second guess them. Let's focus on the great news that a girl that was at a high risk of being killed was not.

Oh, that's no fun is it. We gotta be pissed at someone and point fingers, rather than look on the bright side of what could have easily been a very tragic accident. Silly me. Embarrassed

Carry on with the cyber tar and feathering, I'll be thankful the girl is alive and well. Cool
(06-21-2013, 08:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Obviously, a determined kid can get out of a house even when precautions are taken.

But yeah, focus on dad not the cops. She is 11 years old; she could have been picked up and thrown in the back of the patrol car for Chrissakes. Over zealous tazer happy cops is a problem in America. You hear me TVguy?

Cletus... are you trying to make TVguy pop a blood vessel in his forehead because he's lurking and can't reply?

I happen to agree though... I think the officer could have easily taken the girl in without using the taser.
(06-21-2013, 08:29 AM)gapper Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 07:44 AM)csrowan Wrote: You blame the parents because their daughter managed to remove the safety mechanism they put on her window to keep her from running away?

No where have I seen that the girl removed a safety mechanism, and certainly not in the clip I pasted and responded to. That said, what I do know from the clip I pasted and responded to, according to the father, the girl runs away often. So, if indeed there was a safety mechanism to be released, it appears it may have a history of not working.

To be clear, you're damn right I blame the dad and see him going public as a way to take our eyes off of him. He should be grateful his daughter was not killed.

Quote:This is not the first time Oregon State Troopers have encountered the girl. Other troopers have responded to calls before concerning her leaving home. Hampson says their home is safe and secure – and in this instance his daughter removed a screw that kept her window closed to get out of the house.

I'm not a father. But I used to be a kid and I had very good parents. And I know how easy it is for kids to do things they aren't supposed to do, even with good parenting.
Obviously, a determined kid can get out of a house even when precautions are taken.

I have a better idea. Let's not focus on the dad or the cop, and try to second guess them. Let's focus on the great news that a girl that was at a high risk of being killed was not.

Oh, that's no fun is it. We gotta be pissed at someone and point fingers, rather than look on the bright side of what could have easily been a very tragic accident. Silly me. Embarrassed

Carry on with the cyber tar and feathering, I'll be thankful the girl is alive and well. Cool

Sigh, OK, Gapper. Let's do that. "Hey! Yay!" Now the thread ends, and there's no discussion. Yawn Not everyone here is tar and feathering. It is a discussion forum after all.
(06-21-2013, 08:33 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 08:02 AM)gapper Wrote: No where have I seen that the girl removed a safety mechanism, and certainly not in the clip I pasted and responded to. That said, what I do know from the clip I pasted and responded to, according to the father, the girl runs away often. So, if indeed there was a safety mechanism to be released, it appears it may have a history of not working.

Sigh, OK, Gapper. Let's do that. "Hey! Yay!" Now the thread ends, and there's no discussion. Yawn Not everyone here is tar and feathering. It is a discussion forum after all.

Sigh........ so, the discussion must end if we aren't ragging on someone or some thing, huh? We can't talk about how fortunate the girl is to be alive. We can't discuss how nice it is that this family is intact and can go on and live life.
We gotta be dissing the cops or someone, or there can be no discussion? Oh yeah, it's The Rogue Valley forum, I forgot. Embarrassed
(06-21-2013, 07:44 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 07:37 AM)gapper Wrote: It's 4AM. You are a an OSP patrol officer on I-5. You encounter a naked female that appears to be an adult or teen walking aimlessly along the freeway. (From the edited (sensationalized???) clip it sounds like she may have already crossed the freeway once). She is not wearing a sign that says "I have autism. I am really 11 years old, not the age I look. I can't communicate." You stop and pursue the walker. You twice tell her to stop and she does not. There is traffic and a chance she could be killed. Experience tells you she is likely naked walking along the freeway because she is higher than a kite. What do you do given you've taken an oath to protect the citizens, even from themselves if necessary?

In listening to this edited, likely sensationalized clip, we learn that she has a history of running. You're damn right I blame the dad and see him going public as a way to take our eyes off of him. He should be grateful his daughter was not killed.

Too many are too anxious to blame cops and give the real (ir)responsible party a pass.

You blame the parents because their daughter managed to remove the safety mechanism they put on her window to keep her from running away?

Gapper, have you raised a child with Autism or any significant delays for that matter? Until you have, please refrain from blaming the parents. Thank you. As I said before, many are known to be wanderers and are quite stealthy as well as crafty.

It could have been dealt with in a totally different manner, I already suggested a different route. (I really wonder if people ever read my posts? ...well, other than those that really know me or the ones that seem to despise me.)

Since this happened near Ashland, had the officer called for local police backup (which is what would have happened had he taken the time to think instead of just reacting), the Ashland police are trained to deal with Autistic people. They are the only force that seems to have taken the time to try to understand those with different abilities.

She didn't run from the officer, she was walking...and non-responsive. She posed no danger to anyone else. The danger she posed to herself at 4am could have easily been remedied.

If the freeway had been blocked by the police car and taxi, backup called, etc...the police could have approached the GIRL calmly and might have realized the Autism, and dealt with it non-violently.

Instead, the officer was reactionary and used brutal force. Yes, tasers are brutal and many die from the use of them.
Broadzilla, have you ever been a police officer? Until you have, please refrain from blaming the police officer. Thank you.
(06-21-2013, 08:29 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 08:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Obviously, a determined kid can get out of a house even when precautions are taken.

Cletus... are you trying to make TVguy pop a blood vessel in his forehead because he's lurking and can't reply?

I happen to agree though... I think the officer could have easily taken the girl in without using the taser.

Tasers have been known to actually kill people so I question the use of a possible deadly weapon on this young girl under these circumstances.

But then I think most public safety personal are ill-equipped to deal with these more subtle situations and thankfully did not use his gun so let's just be thankful that the tasing didn't kill her.
Brutality is what cops do. We should be proud of them for that. Ninja
If anyone is paying attention, it is very obvious that it is not apparent that this 11 year is a young girl, especially at 4 AM in the morning. Even the father said she does not appear to be 11.

But, again, it's a fad to hate cops and blame them for their perceived misdeeds rather than be thankful this girl was prevented from walking into traffic and being killed. You all are trendy, I will give you that much. Wink
(06-21-2013, 08:56 AM)gapper Wrote: If anyone is paying attention, it is very obvious that it is not apparent that this 11 year is a young girl, especially at 4 AM in the morning. Even the father said she does not appear to be 11.

But, again, it's a fad to hate cops and blame them for their perceived misdeeds rather than be thankful this girl was prevented from walking into traffic and being killed. You all are trendy, I will give you that much. Wink

You all? I haven't expressed a dedicated opinion. I'm fence sitting. As I often do.
(06-21-2013, 08:56 AM)gapper Wrote: If anyone is paying attention, it is very obvious that it is not apparent that this 11 year is a young girl, especially at 4 AM in the morning. Even the father said she does not appear to be 11.

Who is it obvious to that this 11 year old girl somehow looks older than her age? I haven't seen anything in the news indicating a size or weight either one. You appear to be the only one assuming she looked like anything other than a naked 11 year old girl.

(An average 11 year old girl weighs 79.2 pounds and is 55" tall: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/pub...eens.shtml )

EDIT: I haven't seen the father statement that she doesn't look her age. I may be mistaken here.
(06-21-2013, 08:53 AM)Leonard Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 08:29 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Tasers have been known to actually kill people so I question the use of a possible deadly weapon on this young girl under these circumstances.

But then I think most public safety personal are ill-equipped to deal with these more subtle situations and thankfully did not use his gun so let's just be thankful that the tasing didn't kill her.

Yes, I can be thankful the tasing didn't kill her. Typically when deaths occur in tasing incidents the investigation will find the tasing to NOT be the factor that is the cause of death.

Who is hating on the cops? I am proposing that the officer didn't take the time to think it through before reacting with force.

It also seems to be a fad to blame parents. You fit that trend. Razz
Of course, it could be that the female officer didn't feel like she could successfully overpower another female, thus making force her only answer for subduing on her own.

Backup, people, backup! DUH?!
(06-21-2013, 08:42 AM)gapper Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 08:09 AM)csrowan Wrote: From your link, last paragraph:

Sigh........ so, the discussion must end if we aren't ragging on someone or some thing, huh? We can't talk about how fortunate the girl is to be alive. We can't discuss how nice it is that this family is intact and can go on and live life.
We gotta be dissing the cops or someone, or there can be no discussion? Oh yeah, it's The Rogue Valley forum, I forgot. Embarrassed

That's ridiculous. This isn't a hand holding forum. (you mentioned) We aren't an affirmation forum. It's a discussion forum. We can all express thanks and then it's over. Discussion and debates occur from differing points of view. And if you think that accomplishes nothing, you are incorrect. I have learned a great deal from people on this forum whose opinions oppose mine. It's a way to gather information, learn cultural viewpoints, and often learn facts I would never have known.
(06-21-2013, 08:59 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

Who is it obvious to that this 11 year old girl somehow looks older than her age? I haven't seen anything in the news indicating a size or weight either one. You appear to be the only one assuming she looked like anything other than a naked 11 year old girl.

(An average 11 year old girl weighs 79.2 pounds and is 55" tall: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/pub...eens.shtml )

EDIT: I haven't seen the father statement that she doesn't look her age. I may be mistaken here.

Quote:Hampson says — his daughter has a severe case of autism. He says she cannot carry on a conversation and she tends to run away from home often. “You can just tell you’re not dealing with a regular person who’s either on drugs or anything else,” explained Hampson. “Physically (she) does not look like an average 11-year-old. She’s kind of, you know, husky,” he added. Hampson believes this is why his pre-teen daughter was mistaken for a woman by authorities.
This is the tape that says the girl was husky and the troopers were surprised to learn her age. It says they assume in cases where a person is naked that they may be in a state of "excited delirium" and it also says that it was the child removing a screw from her window that allowed her to get out of the house.

[/quote]
(06-21-2013, 08:54 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Brutality is what cops do. We should be proud of them for that. Ninja

Years ago a full grown Coyote tried to jump my pasture fence and got his hind leg caught and was hanging there by his leg.

I jumped off my horse and took the saddle blanket and rapped it around the animal so he couldn't bit or scratch and extracted his leg. I took him back to the barn and kept him in the kennel for a few day to make sure he was all right, then let him go. I know that was illegal but could care less and would have kept him had he wanted to stay.

I would have tried the same thing with this unarmed person, using a coat or something long before using a taser. But in today topsy turvy world, would probably charged with attempted rape.
(06-21-2013, 09:04 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 08:42 AM)gapper Wrote:

That's ridiculous. This isn't a hand holding forum. (you mentioned) We aren't an affirmation forum. It's a discussion forum. We can all express thanks and then it's over. Discussion and debates occur from differing points of view.

And calling others' point of view "ridiculous" does not promote discussion. In fact, it might prompt some to retort "screw you bitch!", and then the flame war starts.

See how these things spiral so easily?

If you want respectful discussion, discuss respectfully. If you want flame wars, tell others' their point of view is "ridiculous" and make absurd comments about "a hand holding forum".
I like to believe there is room between "hand holding", "ridiculous" and "screw you bitch!". I may be wrong though..
http://www.oregon.gov/osp/NEWSRL/Pages/n...ement.aspx

Quote:Oregon State Police Statement Regarding June 16, 2013 Taser Use-Of-Force Incident on Interstate 5 near Ashland
June 21, 2013

On June 16, 2013 at approximately 4:15 a.m., OSP was dispatched to a report of a person walking naked along Interstate 5 north of Ashland. The lone trooper on duty in the area arrived on scene and saw an unidentified female walking in darkness southbound with her back to traffic on the fog line in an unlit area. Without backup available, the female trooper tried to get the female’s attention to get her to come to the car but was met with no verbal response or cooperation. When a passing motorist stopped at the scene, the female moved out into the traffic lanes and as the trooper followed she didn’t get any response or show of cooperation. As the situation continued to quickly unfold, the trooper used a Taser to keep the female from continuing to move into a position on the freeway, where others may suddently drive upon the scene with no reasonable expectation of pedestrians on the roadway, that would put her or others at risk.

After checking the female for any injury and finding none, the trooper placed the resistive female in the patrol car and took her to an area hospital. After arrival, the female continued to be unresponsive to questions and was resistant to medical staff’s help. Her behavior and physical development led medical staff and the trooper to think she was in her late teens to early 20’s. At that time they also started thinking she may be autistic.

While at the hospital, OSP sent a news release to area media asking for help to identify the female for which there was no information explaining how and why she was along the freeway. With the help of the local 9-1-1 center, she was identified and contact made with a family member. It was only at this time that her actual age (11) was learned. Once in contact with her family, OSP shared details of what happened and will update her family as needed.

OSP understands that this incident has caused concern while many parts of the story were being reported and picked up on social media. Per policy, OSP reviews all use-of-force incidents involving our troopers. We are grateful the girl was identified quickly and reunited with family that morning after being checked out at the hospital.

In June 2012, OSP began equipping all troopers assigned to the Patrol Services Division and Fish & Wildlife Division with Taser X2 electronic control devices (ECD). OSP troopers go through 8 hours of mandatory training to handle potential use of force situations with an appropriate level of response to minimize possible injury to our troopers and persons they are contacting. Ninety (90) percent of U.S. law enforcement agencies use ECD equipment as a safe use-of-force option compared to traditional use-of-force tools. The Taser is an alternative to deadly force, impact weapons (baton) and physical resistance which may involve fighting with people, often leading to injuries to the officer and/or person.

During the last few years on average, OSP troopers were involved in over 250,000 calls resulting in contacts with people. During 2012, OSP troopers reported 125 use-of-force incidents - approximately .05% of OSP contacts. Preliminary information indicates use-of-force incidents are trending down since OSP troopers been carrying Tasers in late 2012, possibly because the displaying of a Taser during a potential use-of-force situation is known to diffuse resistance and gain compliance.