Genetically engineered sugar beets destroyed in Southern Oregon
(06-21-2013, 07:55 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: They won't even say how they destroyed the beet field. They're afraid of copy cats. I hope this is just the beginning.

No, I read that they were hand pulled. That's dedication.
Quote:"It doesn't look like a vehicle was used. It looks like people entered the field and destroyed the plants by hand," said Paul Minehart, head of corporate communications in North America for Syngenta, a global agriculture corporation based in Basel, Switzerland.
(06-21-2013, 08:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 07:55 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote: They won't even say how they destroyed the beet field. They're afraid of copy cats. I hope this is just the beginning.

Quote:"It doesn't look like a vehicle was used. It looks like people entered the field and destroyed the plants by hand," said Paul Minehart, head of corporate communications in North America for Syngenta, a global agriculture corporation based in Basel, Switzerland.

I heard the police weren't releasing it in the Courier tonight. But the Courier kinda sucks. If they did it by hand, that would be a hard way to wreck a field that size. There must of been a lot of people involved!
(06-21-2013, 09:48 PM)HoneyhalfWitch Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 08:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I heard the police weren't releasing it in the Courier tonight. But the Courier kinda sucks. If they did it by hand, that would be a hard way to wreck a field that size. There must of been a lot of people involved!

I imagine so. I guess Switzerland is not a non gmo country. They are experimenting with it there also.
So, here's the test. It's a lot of people. And Obama's spying. How long till they get caught via communications?
Not everybody communicates via modern methods. I know that's hard to fathom for some but I know several of them.
Seems like the point of attack is two fold: Prove that what Monsato is doing environmentally and prove that the messing with the genetic make up could affect our bodies with certain viruses or cancers that these modified food activates.

On the other hand: How can they produce the amount of food that is required for the world without these mass producing technics.

Yeah Yeah, they could not use these chemicals but then all the insects eat their crops. And yes yes the insects adapt to the chemical.

The only solution I see is Monsanto producing organic grain or something like that... There's got to be a solution.

Unsure
I would have sprayed Round-Up on it. Wait never mind.
(06-22-2013, 06:48 AM)cafe-o-lait Wrote: Seems like the point of attack is two fold: Prove that what Monsato is doing environmentally and prove that the messing with the genetic make up could affect our bodies with certain viruses or cancers that these modified food activates.

On the other hand: How can they produce the amount of food that is required for the world without these mass producing technics.

Yeah Yeah, they could not use these chemicals but then all the insects eat their crops. And yes yes the insects adapt to the chemical.

The only solution I see is Monsanto producing organic grain or something like that... There's got to be a solution.

Unsure

OK, give the gmo foods to the food stamp people.

Just kidding.Razz
(06-22-2013, 06:48 AM)cafe-o-lait Wrote: Seems like the point of attack is two fold: Prove that what Monsato is doing environmentally and prove that the messing with the genetic make up could affect our bodies with certain viruses or cancers that these modified food activates.

Unsure

On a more serious note Cafe, I would suggest researching that claim more thoroughly before throwing it out there. There's a lot of research out there showing that GMO crops under perform conventional ones. Research that suggests that while roundup resistant, gmo crops are less resistant to virus, blight and other crop destroyers. I do not believe gmo is the answer to world hunger. It's an answer that a lot of people stand to get rich from by promoting it.
(06-22-2013, 09:11 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

Unsure

OK, give the gmo foods to the food stamp people.

Just kidding.Razz
For me the issue with GMOs is they produce crops that are resistant to round-up. A win, win for them. I can't help but think your gonna have that crap in your body.
I wish GOP cared as much about kids as they do about fetuses. Those are the folks that do not need this chemical exposure nor adults for that matter.
Quote:HARDY turns out to encode a transcription factor, a type of protein that regulates the expression of other genes. Many proteins of this type have functions that are evolutionarily conserved even in distantly related species, so the authors posited that HARDY overexpression might have a similar effect in a variety of plants. They tested this on a major crop plant, rice. As with Arabidopsis, rice overexpressing the gene grew better under drought conditions, and made much more efficient use of water than normal plants.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2007/09/p...tant-rice/

Not all GMO is bad.

Monsanto gives GMO a bad rap. They are using the technology in a greedy, 'dominate the world', mentality.