How a transmission works
A 1936 film that, in an era of computer animation, explains it better than perhaps anything ever since. I don't know how many will find this interesting, but I expect WillyCrash at least for one. This is something older than I am too, an increasingly rare phenomenon. Smiling

(06-24-2013, 07:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: A 1936 film that, in an era of computer animation, explains it better than perhaps anything ever since. I don't know how many will find this interesting, but I expect WillyCrash at least for one. This is something older than I am too, an increasingly rare phenomenon. Smiling

I love that kind of stuff!
For reasons not important here, I didn't grow up with this kind of knowledge, didn't wrench a lot of cars, and so missed too much of this.
I'm going to start hitting You Tube and digging up this kind of thing.
Thanks for the post.
(I still could not assemble a standard transmission, but I have a basic understanding of how it works).
PONDER, as Patton said of Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book...lol.
You called it.
Now I'll see you one transmission and raise you one mechanical compute,r. About 7 videos altogether. Cams and differentials are wonderful.
The whole enchilada, pure genius.

Now if that was too dry try this, French 1890.
Funny what you can find on the information highway.
(06-24-2013, 07:19 PM)PonderThis Wrote: A 1936 film that, in an era of computer animation, explains it better than perhaps anything ever since. I don't know how many will find this interesting, but I expect WillyCrash at least for one. This is something older than I am too, an increasingly rare phenomenon. Smiling

Well, cool. I never really understood what was happening when the clutch "slipped" or why I was able to drive stick without clutching at times, but, hey! Now I'm edumacated!
Btw Ponder I have seen the transmission video, how did you know?

My Model A has no synchros...
I don't know why, but I've guessed you might have a mechanic shop of some kind.

I can drive a transmission with no synchos as well (no clutch too). But then, anybody that's ever driven trucks probably can too.

You've mentioned having at least one old car before too.
I only mentioned it because I surprised myself. I actually didn't know you could do that. But then I started noticing that sometimes I would shift without clutching. I had no idea. I had to ask someone if that was possible. I'm NOT mechanical, mathematical or scientific.Embarrassed
(06-27-2013, 09:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I only mentioned it because I surprised myself. I actually didn't know you could do that. But then I started noticing that sometimes I would shift without clutching. I had no idea. I had to ask someone if that was possible. I'm NOT mechanical, mathematical or scientific.Embarrassed

Tia Darlin', you are an attractive lady with a good sense of humor, you're a great mom, you ride your bike to work where you "work in the fields of the Lord" making the world a better place.

You don't have to be those other things.