another headache
Well I ended up talking to my Neurologist, he is thinking it is the heat right now. and stress. I have chronic migraines and I have been doing really good about keeping them under control then the past couple of days it got real bad, last night I ended up having to go to bed with the covers over the head, the face was numb. It wasn't good.
(06-24-2013, 11:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Some people eat bee pollen in the same belief it helps. It seems I've seen bee pollen recommended for quite a few conditions, actually.

According to one of my preferred sites for looking into claims of medical efficacy, there's nothing to most of it. The only thing it showed some evidence of was anti-inflammatory properties... but by the same biological mechanism as [wouldn't let me post the name, but starts with a V and ends with two Xs], the drug that got pulled due to heart attacks.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/bee-...effective/
I'd heard behavioral issues, something like ADHD comes to mind. A friend of mine was raving about it on his grandson. I realize that's pretty anecdotal, but at the time I thought I found promising web info pointing the same direction.
Hey, placebos work! Not for everyone, but depending on the ailment and the placebo, it can be pretty convincing that it works. Minor, vague ailment and an hour-long consultation with a homeopath before being given a "medicine" that's been custom chosen for your exact problem? Works pretty well for a lot of people. Minor, vague ailment and a 5 minute conversation with your doctor who says he can't do much for you because he doesn't know what's wrong, but you could try getting a little more exercise and see if that helps... not very emotionally satisfying.

The problem comes when people claim that placebos are cure-alls and other people who need actual medical attention end up getting harmed because they don't bother seeking it because they have this "natural cure-all".
Medical MJ is what you need.
I know somebody that used non medical grade and it worked just as well.
(06-24-2013, 11:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Some people eat bee pollen in the same belief it helps. It seems I've seen bee pollen recommended for quite a few conditions, actually.

Ed the Topanga Bee man said the ancient Egyptians knew of honey's, anti-inflammatory, anti antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial qualities and he said eating local honey and pollen was the reason it helped some allergy suffers.

Because of him I stopped drinking coffee and replace the morning with a tea of apple cyder vinegar, honey and sometimes a little lemon. I eat pollen and over 1/3 cup of honey a day, use it on wounds, sore throat it's great.

The following could have been from Ed, but it came from..... http://voices.yahoo.com/egyptian-medicin...82609.html

When bees collect nectar, they carry it back to the hive and regurgitate it into the cells of the honeycomb. Then, with they beat their wings and air dry the water content from the nectar. Enzymes in their saliva change the nectar's sucrose into fructose and glucose, which then binds the remaining water, leaving a percentage between 17 or 18 percent. This process creates an inhospitable substrate where bacteria can't survive. This mixture also is composed of hydrogen peroxide that's made from the enzyme glucose oxidase. Hydrogen peroxide kills bacteria such as e.coli, the ulcer causing bacteria, heliobacter pylori and even staphyloccus. Not many antiseptics can make that same claim.

With all of these amazing traits, honey is an excellent wound treatment. The ancient Egyptians knew this and applied it directly to cuts and scrapes. They also took it orally to maintain internal health and prevent stomach upset. In addition to killing bacteria and preventing bacterial growth, honey is able to aid the body in healing by helping to digest dead tissue and stimulating cells to re-grow new tissue. Honey has been tested on burns, open wounds and stomach ulcers, all with very successful results. With the somewhat recent news of the bacteria killing ability of honey, many people are starting to use it as a homeopathic remedy. However, honey should not be given orally to young children under the age of one, due to the possibility of passing along the dangerous organism chlostridium botulinum, or the bug that causes botulism.

In ancient Egypt, there are many references to the application of honey for wound care and many of the tombs discovered have had jars of crystallized honey carefully placed for use in the after life. Scientists have done research on the quality of honey and have discovered that even thousands of years later, honey, even in its crystallized form, is still an effective anti-bacterial ointment.
My understanding (possibly a mistaken one, I haven't looked at the evidence) is that honey has so much sugar in it that nothing else can grow, odd as that sounds. But you water it down (or put it in your stomach with all the other liquids there, and *poof* go the anti-bacterial qualities.

But if I'm wrong, do you really want to be ingesting anti-bacterial stuff all the time? You need your good bacteria to be healthy.
I'm pretty sure I read recently that more than half of our feces by volume is made up of bacteria. It might take quite a bit of honey to kill off that much. Smiling
(06-24-2013, 02:05 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm pretty sure I read recently that more than half of our feces by volume is made up of bacteria. It might take quite a bit of honey to kill off that much. Smiling

Information on humans and bacteria here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiome

An interesting note, there are 10 times more bacteria in the human body than there are human cells in the body. (Of course, bacteria are smaller than human cells).

But, if honey has enough anti-bacterial property to make you better by ingesting it, it has enough anti-bacterial property to cause damage to some of the good bacteria that keeps you healthy. So claiming internal anti-bacterial properties doesn't make it a health food, it makes it a dangerous drug that should be regulated by the FDA. At least, it would if it were true.
(06-24-2013, 01:47 PM)csrowan Wrote: My understanding (possibly a mistaken one, I haven't looked at the evidence) is that honey has so much sugar in it that nothing else can grow, odd as that sounds. But you water it down (or put it in your stomach with all the other liquids there, and *poof* go the anti-bacterial qualities.

But if I'm wrong, do you really want to be ingesting anti-bacterial stuff all the time? You need your good bacteria to be healthy.

All I can say is after 30 some years of this holistic approach everything still works, weigh the same as in high school, I am healthy as a horse and all without the aid of anything from big pharma.
Here's some info on honey, the chemical properties, etc. The comments add some more information, too.
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/honey/
Blondemom,

I am sorry these headaches have come back in spades again. It sucks. I hope they end soon.
Headaches suck. I hope you find relief soon, blondemom. I think I get low pressure headaches on rainy days.And that sucks because I love rainy days.
Feel better soon.
Have you tried breathing into a bag?

[Image: paper-bag.jpg]
breathing into bags alleviates head aches?
(06-24-2013, 12:05 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I'd heard behavioral issues, something like ADHD comes to mind. A friend of mine was raving about it on his grandson. I realize that's pretty anecdotal, but at the time I thought I found promising web info pointing the same direction.
PONDER, what exactly is your avatar? A pot of what?
It's a frog jumping out of the boiling water while there's still time to do it. Smiling
(06-24-2013, 11:24 PM)Tiamat Wrote: breathing into bags alleviates head aches?

I don't know, Have you tried it?
I know somebody that tried it and all it did was cure their hickups.