Making the case for 'civic patriotism'
Something our local electorate, so called "patriots" should consider...

Quote:....But for me there is an additional element of patriotism, one which is less obvious, less discussed and which will be less on display in the Fourth of July parades. This patriotism is expressed by having pride in our public properties, facilities and services and keeping them first class. This pride could be called “civic patriotism.”

Most people have pride in their home. Whether it be a small rented apartment or a large estate, we like maintaining it and making it special. Of course there are exceptions but most of us take pride in what we own.

As Woody Guthrie wrote, “This land is your land, this land is my land....” The whole country is our house and home. For me, patriotism also involves having pride in that house and taking care of it. In this democracy the house is owned by the people and we are responsible for it.
http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/inde...id=9547237
(06-25-2013, 08:27 AM)gapper Wrote: Something our local electorate, so called "patriots" should consider...

Quote:....But for me there is an additional element of patriotism, one which is less obvious, less discussed and which will be less on display in the Fourth of July parades. This patriotism is expressed by having pride in our public properties, facilities and services and keeping them first class. This pride could be called “civic patriotism.”

Most people have pride in their home. Whether it be a small rented apartment or a large estate, we like maintaining it and making it special. Of course there are exceptions but most of us take pride in what we own.

As Woody Guthrie wrote, “This land is your land, this land is my land....” The whole country is our house and home. For me, patriotism also involves having pride in that house and taking care of it. In this democracy the house is owned by the people and we are responsible for it.
http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/inde...id=9547237

Good stuff.

There is a "model" about this. Some years ago the police chief of NYC (Kelly ?) suggested the way to control major crime was to enforce the more "minor" laws...window breaking, turnstile jumping, etc.
They claim it worked.
Even if we all returned our shopping carts to the designated spots, maybe.

Whatever: I like the thought.
Strictly speaking, Americans, not just Josephine County can't seem to get it together, let alone sticking together on anything that requires more than just clicking a like/dislike button or tweeting/texting a "support" message.
I was at a small town 4th of July parade last summer. The had civic groups. boy scouts, girls scouts, youth sports teams, veteran groups, the fire and police depts, marching bands, dogs, classic cars and even a grand Marshall and beauty queens and princes. It was great. That is until near the end of the parade can a scantly clad group of LGBT activists came walking by kissing each other and throwing condoms to the crowd. Got a lot of people very upset. Here was a great non-partisan holiday parade that was ruined by a group of political activists that had no place in a setting like this. I heard some people got in some hot water for allowing a group like this into what was supposed to be a nice family event.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
You know, not all conservatives see gay rights and gay marriage as separate from other movements for civil rights. Also, not all conservatives want to limit reproductive rights in any way. If members of the LGBT community (or any other community) want to participate in any form of civic pride event, it's good, or neutral. The point is that there is nothing to object to and there is nothing objectionable in their participation. Their participation doesn't harm non-members in any way. Restricting their participation (in any way) would be unconstitutional and illegal (as it should be). Not all conservatives care what other people do (who they marry, what they smoke, whether or not they carry their pregnancies to term) etc. In fact, the whole point of conservatism (for some conservatives) is to limit unwanted government involvement in the lives of peaceful people who simply do not want to be interfered with by the government. It's easy to ridicule "social conservatives." And maybe they deserve it, to an extent. It would be better for social conservatives to extend to everyone else the right and the privilege and the desire to just be left alone (that conservatives themselves want and have a right to).
(06-25-2013, 11:09 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: I was at a small town 4th of July parade last summer. The had civic groups. boy scouts, girls scouts, youth sports teams, veteran groups, the fire and police depts, marching bands, dogs, classic cars and even a grand Marshall and beauty queens and princes. It was great. That is until near the end of the parade can a scantly clad group of LGBT activists came walking by kissing each other and throwing condoms to the crowd. Got a lot of people very upset. Here was a great non-partisan holiday parade that was ruined by a group of political activists that had no place in a setting like this. I heard some people got in some hot water for allowing a group like this into what was supposed to be a nice family event.

Only problem I would have is them throwing condoms out. and before you get your panties/shorts in a bunch I do not have a problem with them being handed out in school. I just don't think a parade it the place for that, now if they had a booth set up after the parade that would be different hand it from there.
Mom, this candy is chewy and it tastes funny, too.
(06-25-2013, 02:53 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Mom, this candy is chewy and it tastes funny, too.

blows tremendous bubbles though.
(06-25-2013, 02:53 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Mom, this candy is chewy and it tastes funny, too.

honestly with some of the small towns I have been in that would be my worry.
(06-25-2013, 04:20 PM)blondemom Wrote:

honestly with some of the small towns I have been in that would be my worry.

Reminds me of the old tire commercial... "Where the rubber meets the road...buy..."

Still think all parade entries should conform to parade theme, of course, somehow I suspect someone would find a will....
Patriotic civility is being defined here as taking pride in one's town. I'd say many civic groups already do that on many levels which is nice and makes me proud of our country.