It's supposed to get HOT by the weekend!
I'm not looking forward to this.
Quote:Enjoy these unseasonably cool days while you can because triple-digit heat is bearing down on the Rogue Valley and could arrive this weekend.

The National Weather Service is predicting highs to rise significantly each day in the coming week until daytime temperatures reach 106 by Monday.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../306250348
(06-25-2013, 06:58 PM)gapper Wrote: I'm not looking forward to this.
Quote:Enjoy these unseasonably cool days while you can because triple-digit heat is bearing down on the Rogue Valley and could arrive this weekend.

The National Weather Service is predicting highs to rise significantly each day in the coming week until daytime temperatures reach 106 by Monday.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../306250348
I like it hot. Bring it on.
You will find me indoors with the A/C until the sun gets over the horizon. I hate the heat. Fall, Winter and Spring are awesome. I could do without Summer!
(06-25-2013, 07:38 PM)Snowlover Wrote: You will find me indoors with the A/C until the sun gets over the horizon. I hate the heat. Fall, Winter and Spring are awesome. I could do without Summer!

Ah, SnowL, it's the oppressive heat of summer that make it possible to us to fully appreciate the relief of Autumn.
I checked the weather app on my cell phone...

[Image: fmvb.jpg]

I think it may have an issue...
Well, I hope it's just having a glitch any who! Rolling Eyes
Otherwise... It is going to be a HOT mo-fo 'round here!
Blink
(06-25-2013, 07:38 PM)Snowlover Wrote: You will find me indoors with the A/C until the sun gets over the horizon. I hate the heat. Fall, Winter and Spring are awesome. I could do without Summer!

I'm not a fan either. The part that sucks is that the nightime temps are supposed to be in the high 60's. When that happens, it doesn't cool down and the heat becomes oppressive. Maybe it's time for a new air conditioner? The one I have is only moderately effective.
If you can manage to dribble a little water over the outside coils on your air conditioner (without getting water in your house too) you can manage an extra bit of efficiency out of one. (Note: I hear this is illegal for commercial buildings.)
(06-25-2013, 11:25 PM)PonderThis Wrote: If you can manage to dribble a little water over the outside coils on your air conditioner (without getting water in your house too) you can manage an extra bit of efficiency out of one.

Oh. Cool. Well I have a mister I could set up out there. Usually it's on the porch in hot weather, but I could put there when we go in.
(06-25-2013, 10:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

I'm not a fan either. The part that sucks is that the nightime temps are supposed to be in the high 60's. When that happens, it doesn't cool down and the heat becomes oppressive. Maybe it's time for a new air conditioner? The one I have is only moderately effective.

Might be time for better insulation or windows or insulating drapes.

Or maybe it's a just a crappy AC.
If its fins are dirty it helps a lot to clean them out, too.
Best call or do a quick AC check because last time there was a heat wave like this all the HVAC contractors were booked for weeks plus parts were hard to come by.

117? That's like AZ or at Indio
(06-25-2013, 11:28 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(06-25-2013, 10:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Might be time for better insulation or windows or insulating drapes.

Or maybe it's a just a crappy AC.

Yeah, well it's old. But when I bought it, (it wasn't the most expensive model) it was "energy efficient" and it never really seemed to be that great. Might be too small for the space I'm cooling. It's not that small though.
I'm loving it right now. Warm and the rrain is falling. I've got the door open and can hear it falling. Bye, bye, rains, I'm gonna miss you.Crying
I'm not a fan of rain if I have outdoor things to do... but I do love this weather in the morning. First thing we do is open the slider... even before getting coffee! Big Grin The ducks love it too. This morning I opened the curtain and slider to see a bunch of duck butts in the creek! Razz When it's hot they seem to stay in the shade. But when it's raining they come out and feed on something in the creek... I don't know what, but they're diving for something. It looks kind of funny to see a couple dozen duck butts in the air. Laughing
I'm not a big fan of too much heat. If I have access to a pool, I complain less (but it's still a lot). Big Grin

My daughter's friend has a glorious pool that they don't use. We plan to head over there on all the hot days. DD's little guys will be with us, so it's not like I'll be sitting poolside with a book in one hand and a glass of something in the other. Still, it will be fun to swim.
I'm putting up a double layer of curtains and a set of screens outside the other windows. Hopefully that will help. I notice a lot of heat build up in the mornings on hot days on the east facing window. I can feel the heat coming off it. So, hopefully this will eliminate some of that and keep it a bit cooler. I do not like heat waves.
What is it about weather that makes people start crazy rumours? As soon as this upcoming hot weather was predicted I started hearing stuff. Like: 110 degree weather for 3 weeks straight, no break! 115, for 10 days. And today: Tonight will be in the high 70's. What? Can't you feel it won't be that hot tonight? I know the heat wave is coming and will be triple digits, and I know I will be miserable when the temps don't come down past 65, but why do people get so freaked out and tell horror stories? Same thing with storms in the winter. You would think we were expecting white out blizzards the way some people go on about an expected storm. Or snow. Expected snow makes wild stories start.
Quote:Temp could hit 129 in Death Valley

I guess we will be cool by comparison.

LOS ANGELES — LOS ANGELES (AP) - Temperatures in Death Valley could hit 129 degrees this weekend as a ridge of unusually high pressure moves into California, bringing an extended period of high heat and fire danger, forecasters said.

Death Valley's all-time record of 134 degrees set a century ago was not likely to fall, National Weather Service meteorologist Reid Wolcott said Wednesday. That still stands as the highest air temperature ever recorded in the world, but any reading approaching 130 degrees is significant, Wolcott said.

"It's only hit 130 in Death Valley a handful of times," he said. "We'll be keeping an eye out."

Read more: http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/jun/26/s...z2XU3x2zxE
- vcstar.com
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2013/jun/26/s...high-heat/
(06-25-2013, 10:23 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I checked the weather app on my cell phone...

Blink
Where the heck did you get that 117 degree forecast? Try this site instead of Tony the Winos Weather Service.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...c0flGK1FgE
(06-27-2013, 10:36 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-25-2013, 10:23 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I checked the weather app on my cell phone...

Blink
Where the heck did you get that 117 degree forecast? Try this site instead of Tony the Winos Weather Service.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...c0flGK1FgE

It's Android Weather Widget on my cell phone.
Now it has changed. For Tuesday, instead of the 117, it says 97 and thunderstorms.