The Ashland/Central Point Greenway
I bought a bicycle.
It's called a "comfort" bike.
BIG seat. (About the size of the front seat in a 56 Chevy pickup)
Big ass tires. (But could not get whitewalls)
High, wide, handlebars.
Fenders.
A a cute little brass bell.
A place where a water bottle fits, a little air pump and a spare inner tube.
7 speeds. (I still have to find out how shift. 1st gear works okay for now)

Okay, so I rode on the Greenway.
Cool.
Tomorrow I'm going to shoot for half a mile. (Will take extra water)

Lots of dogs.
I tried trading the bike for a dog. No takers. Smart people, because I'm thinking walking with a dog is a lot more fun than peddling a bike.

Anyway the Greenway is great. In many places it is next to a babbling brook. Or Bear Creek. Whatever. Some kind of water.

Now, if someone would just put some beer for sale stalls about every 200 feet, it would be perfect.

Hope to see you there. I'm the rather dashing fellow, all tricked out in riding gear with stickers from European capitols on my bike. I also have a battery operated TV on the handlebars and a small fridge on the back carrier. I'll be shopping for an air horn.

Beep Beep! I may change my avatar to the Roadrunner.
(06-26-2013, 03:52 PM)Wonky Wrote: I bought a bicycle.
High, wide, handlebars.
Fenders.

Cool.

Lots of dogs.
I tried trading the bike for a dog. No takers. Smart people, because I'm thinking walking with a dog is a lot more fun than peddling a bike.

Anyway the Greenway is great. In many places it is next to a babbling brook. Or Bear Creek. Whatever. Some kind of water.

Now, if someone would just put some beer for sale stalls about every 200 feet, it would be perfect.

Hope to see you there. I'm the rather dashing fellow, all tricked out in riding gear with stickers from European capitols on my bike. I also have a battery operated TV on the handlebars and a small fridge on the back carrier. I'll be shopping for an air horn.

Bikepath is better on a bike! It isn't as sketchy that way. Although there are some bumpy patches that you can't always see because of shadows and such.
(06-26-2013, 08:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
High, wide, handlebars.
Fenders.

Cool.

Lots of dogs.

Bikepath is better on a bike! It isn't as sketchy that way. Although there are some bumpy patches that you can't always see because of shadows and such.

That' true.
But when walking I suspect we see more. Little critters, ferns, old whiskey bottles, shopping carts...
Really, we are lucky to have it. At least we don't have to worry about getting hit by motor vehicles there.

I'm thinking of getting a tandem bike and hiring TVg to sit up front and pedal. He works for burritos and beer. That's the good news. The bad news is he can eat his weight in burritos and needs lots of beer to wash it down.

And Tia, if you know of other "good rides" please let me know. I prefer level terrain with lots of shade, and frequent stops for cold drinks and sweet stuff.
(06-26-2013, 09:25 PM)Wonky Wrote: That' true.
But when walking I suspect we see more. Little critters, ferns, old whiskey bottles, shopping carts...
Really, we are lucky to have it. At least we don't have to worry about getting hit by motor vehicles there.

I'm thinking of getting a tandem bike and hiring TVg to sit up front and pedal. He works for burritos and beer. That's the good news. The bad news is he can eat his weight in burritos and needs lots of beer to wash it down.

And Tia, if you know of other "good rides" please let me know. I prefer level terrain with lots of shade, and frequent stops for cold drinks and sweet stuff.

It's also good that you aren't breathing exhaust fumes also. I ride at least three times a week from four to ten miles depending on time and weather. I think my river trail may be more scenic but enjoy what you have. Smiling
(06-26-2013, 09:40 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

It's also good that you aren't breathing exhaust fumes also. I ride at least three times a week from four to ten miles depending on time and weather. I think my river trail may be more scenic but enjoy what you have. Smiling

River Trail?
Grant's pass?
I'm curious and hope you will share info.
(06-26-2013, 09:25 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(06-26-2013, 08:04 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
High, wide, handlebars.
Fenders.

Cool.

Lots of dogs.

That' true.

The unhappy truth is that this area is not very user friendly to urban cyclists. Sure there are the hard core types who travel the roads in groups, but there aren't many ways to traverse on a cycle around here and feel safe. I actually usually feel pretty unsafe because if I ride with traffic, teenagers in cars tend to do things like throw sodas at my back or scream at me just as they pass to see if they can startle me into falling. Nice. See, I actually use cycling as a form of transportation and therefore use city streets.

Auto exhaust fumes may not be the problem. I would be more concerned about the burrito fumes from TVg. May want him on the back seat
I won't ride on the greenway by myself so I have to wait until my daughter is available. It is a nice ride but can be creepy. Last week I was walking to the Y to my exercise class and walked under the bridge to avoid that busy intersection at Tollman and East Main. I wondered if there would be anyone suspicious and sure enough, there was a homeless guy vomiting behind one of the pillars. Next time, I'll wait at the intersection.
(06-27-2013, 06:57 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:

Auto exhaust fumes may not be the problem. I would be more concerned about the burrito fumes from TVg. May want him on the back seat

One of the problems with the bike path is that in some places it runs right next to the freeway. Even when it could veer and follow the creek, it will stay next to the freeway. Yuk.
(06-28-2013, 05:09 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-27-2013, 06:57 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:

One of the problems with the bike path is that in some places it runs right next to the freeway. Even when it could veer and follow the creek, it will stay next to the freeway. Yuk.

Don't know why that is. When I'm elected King, I'll change it. Until then, I will enjoy the positive parts and pedal up and down it from time to time.

Tomorrow, riding from Gold Hill to Rogue River on the highway and back on the bike path. Riding with others who wanted to start at 0930. I would have preferred 0700. When I'm king...