5 year old shot and killed in Grants Pass.
This is horrendous!

http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stor...wall%22%7D
Horrible. Just horrible............
I can't imagine the pain and suffering of her family.
I am sickened by this.
The shooter has been ID'd...
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../306280350
More from the Courier:
http://www.thedailycourier.com/articles/.../news1.txt

Quote:Charges announced in shooting that killed 5-year-old girl
By Shaun Hall of the Daily Courier

A 5-year-old girl was shot and killed Thursday night at a northwest Grants Pass home. A second victim, a 44-year-old woman, was shot in the torso.

Thirty-year-old transient Jon Andrew Meyer Jr. is in custody at the Josephine County Jail on charges of second-degree manslaughter, third-degree assault and unlawful possession of a machine gun.

The shooting was reported shortly after 9 p.m. at 1017 N.W. C St. A neighbor, Chris Mehl, said he “heard a gunshot and then a rapid firing” and went out of his home and found the girl on a sidewalk. He said he tried to help her and stop the flow of blood from the back of her head.

“I tried to put a compress to stop the blood,” he said. “I tried to move her as little as possible. I tried to do what I could.”

According to a Grants Pass police news release, the girl was transported by American Medical Response workers to Three Rivers Medical Center in Grants Pass.?She was treated for her injuries, but died a short time later. The woman is in stable condition at Three Rivers, according to police.

Mehl said the child’s mother was in the apartment at the time of the incident, but was not the woman who was shot. Police have not yet released the names of the victims.

According to police, Meyer fired an assault rifle from the lower level of the C Street apartment, while the girl and woman were on the upper level.

Another neighbor, Pia D’Ambrosio, said when Meyer was detained by police he told them the gun “fell down and went off.” She said she heard him speaking on a cellphone, apparently to police.

“He said it was an accident and it fell down the stairs and shot everybody,” she said.

D’Ambrosio said Meyer was out in the street when officers arrived.
Dozens of neighbors and onlookers were in the neighborhood afterward, as officers, medics and fire and rescue personnel came and went.

“A terrible night,” D’Ambrosio said. “Especially that child. She’ll rest in the arms of the Lord.”
The shooter was a transient. But was in a private home. If this had happened in public, there'd be a witch hunt in place with all the transients being rounded up and shipped out.
I can't access the Jo County website. On another internet site someone is saying this man was released. Could be any number of things.
(06-28-2013, 09:47 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I can't access the Jo County website. On another internet site someone is saying this man was released. Could be any number of things.

You just need to input his name in their system. (not able to C & P the info) Maybe Leonard the expert could help me with this? Big Grin
$50,000 bail. I don't see any info about being released and I did search the "in custody" inmates.

http://jailviewer.co.josephine.or.us/
(06-28-2013, 10:32 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 09:47 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I can't access the Jo County website. On another internet site someone is saying this man was released. Could be any number of things.

You just need to input his name in their system. (not able to C & P the info) Maybe Leonard the expert could help me with this? Big Grin
$50,000 bail. I don't see any info about being released and I did search the "in custody" inmates.

That's good to hear. It was a really weird thing to say happened. Although they did let the child snatcher go, I think. Anyway, the link to the jail site didn't go to that, so I had nothing to put the name into. It went to a Page not found.
If this was the homeowners gun I would think he will also be charged.
(06-28-2013, 11:21 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

That's good to hear. It was a really weird thing to say happened. Although they did let the child snatcher go, I think. Anyway, the link to the jail site didn't go to that, so I had nothing to put the name into. It went to a Page not found.

I get the idea your computer is from the 90's or something....Razz
(06-28-2013, 03:07 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 11:21 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

I get the idea your computer is from the 90's or something....Razz

I have no idea why you would say that. I clicked on a link the the JoCo jail site and it was a broken link. I'm pretty sure my computer is a hybrid cannibalized from other computers. So it's age varies depending on what your talking about.
(06-28-2013, 05:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I have no idea why you would say that. I clicked on a link the the JoCo jail site and it was a broken link. I'm pretty sure my computer is a hybrid cannibalized from other computers. So it's age varies depending on what your talking about.

I didn't mean to offend you, just razzing. Your retro salad spinner came to mind and it transferred to your computer. Big Grin

I may know the issue. The jail site uses Silverlight so try this microsoft link, it will check to see if you have "Silverlight" installed on your computer. It should also tell you if your system will support it. You won't have anything installed automatically, you can choose to or not. You can just Google it if you don't know if you want it or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/...fault.aspx
http://ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stories/...wall%22%7D

GRANTS PASS, Ore.-A five-year-old girl is dead and another female victim is recovering after being shot with an assault rifle Thursday night.

Grants Pass Department of Public Safety has confirmed the weapon used was an assault rifle.

Investigators said the illegal firearm was fired from the lower level of an apartment on Northwest C Street, the shots went up into the second floor, hitting the child of a family visiting the residence and the woman who lived there.

Some neighbors said they heard and saw the whole thing.

Living just a few doors down from the apartment where police said it all happened, Lori Nelson said she knew the noise she heard around 9:00 p.m. Thursday was too loud to be firecrackers.

Nelson said she ran out to find the suspect, Jon Andrew Meyer Jr., running toward the driveway, on the phone with police. "He said he was sorry, said it was an accident," said Nelson.

"Through the ceiling, the shots fired go through the ceiling," said Chief Deputy District Attorney with the Josephine County District Attorney's Office, Lisa Turner.

Nelson said a screaming mother held a little girl in her arms and cried for help. "Somebody please come help my baby, someone call an ambulance, call the police," said Nelson.

Just before losing her eye sight, Nelson had taken a CPR course and was ready to act. "I told her if she wanted me to help her baby she needed to put her on the cement so I could start CPR," said Nelson.

Another neighbor from across the street joined Nelson, trying to keep the child alive, "The neighbor had asked where was she shot and she said in the head," said Nelson.

Nelson said she didn't see signs of an exit wound, or of life. "There was a lot of blood, a lot of blood," said Nelson.

The pair kept working on the girl, waiting for first responders to arrive, "It seemed like forever," said Nelson.

Residents said help was there, but was staged a block away. "We knew that the ambulance was down the street, but they wouldn't come up until the police could secure the area," said Nelson.

First responders finally arrived, taking the child and a second victim, a friend of Nelson's, who lived in the apartment where police said the assault rifle went off.

Nelson was told by the second victim's daughter, the injured woman was flown to a Portland hospital. "Right now she's in good condition but it can always turn she was shot twice once in the arm and once on the side punctured her lung," said Nelson.

Meanwhile, investigators were on scene all day Friday, looking for answers. "Why did he bring it to the house? Why was he there to begin with?" asked Nelson.

Residents in the area said the home has had several problems with law enforcement in the past. They said many unknown people frequent the apartment.
(06-28-2013, 08:29 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-28-2013, 05:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I have no idea why you would say that. I clicked on a link the the JoCo jail site and it was a broken link. I'm pretty sure my computer is a hybrid cannibalized from other computers. So it's age varies depending on what your talking about.

I didn't mean to offend you, just razzing. Your retro salad spinner came to mind and it transferred to your computer. Big Grin

I may know the issue. The jail site uses Silverlight so try this microsoft link, it will check to see if you have "Silverlight" installed on your computer. It should also tell you if your system will support it. You won't have anything installed automatically, you can choose to or not. You can just Google it if you don't know if you want it or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/...fault.aspx

Oh, I wasn't offended. Anyway, I pretty sure I had to install Silverlight for my Netflix, or something or other a couple years back. I just tried to get to the link from the MT and it didn't work. Then I went to the JoCo site but as usual with such sites it was too much poking through links instead of a direct link. So, essentially, I couldn't find the freakin' thing. Your link to it worked fine.