Breakfast Time
(11-25-2017, 07:11 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 06:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 06:45 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Spam is very popular in Hawaii.

If you try it... get the low sodium. It's pretty salty.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

It's pretty salty

Yeah what isn't LOL

I don't know what that means?    I don't know that I buy much high sodium foods...

I just meant that there is a shit ton of salt in a lot of the food we buy. Even catsup.

Or how about that good old wholesome tomato soup Campbell likes to advertise as little cherub faces kids wolf it down? It has 20% of what you are supposed to have all day. Plus most eat it with salty crackers LOL
(11-26-2017, 04:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 07:11 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 06:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 06:45 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Spam is very popular in Hawaii.

If you try it... get the low sodium. It's pretty salty.

It's pretty salty

Yeah what isn't LOL

I don't know what that means?    I don't know that I buy much high sodium foods...

I just meant that there is a shit ton of salt in a lot of the food we buy. Even catsup.

Or how about that good old wholesome tomato soup Campbell likes to advertise as little cherub faces kids wolf it down? It has 20% of what you are supposed to have all day. Plus most eat it with salty crackers LOL
Oh, yeah.  I don't buy a lot of that. Although I did have some campbells tomato soup the other day. Mix it with half alfredo sauce and water for a better sodium hit. No crackers though.
(11-26-2017, 04:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 04:12 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 03:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 07:13 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 06:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: Weirdo Razz Razz

Am I?  I'm starting to think there are a lot of things I've never tried...chicken and waffles comes to mind. I've never had collard greens, or spoon bread...noticing a pattern here?

Am I?
No LOL but I would have thought practically everyone your age had eaten spam at some point.
Because in the past there weren't so many food snobs Razz

I've never tried...chicken and waffles comes to mind. I've never had collard greens, or spoon bread...

I think those things are all more rare than spam. The only one I've even heard of is collard greens.

You haven't heard of chicken and waffles??!? 

spoon bread is older than dirt!  But I've still never had it.

The theme being Southern. There are lots of Southern foods I haven't tried.  I don't know if it still is, but for a while there, Cajun style was the big thing in food.  Every pub and homegrown style restaurant seemed to be doing Cajun food.  Very trendy!  And I don't like it.

Well IMO Spam is FAR more common than any of what you mentioned.

I don't like a lot of Cajun food fro the same reason I don't like a lot of Mexican food, Too hot too spicy.
IMO people originally put all that hot spicy stuff on food because the food was crap and didn't have a lot of flavor by itself. Laughing

Oh, I like spicy.  I like Mexican and Spicy Thai...Cajun though...something about the spice combo I don't care for...same with Indian foods.
(11-25-2017, 07:13 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 06:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: Weirdo Razz Razz

Am I?  I'm starting to think there are a lot of things I've never tried...chicken and waffles comes to mind. I've never had collard greens, or spoon bread...noticing a pattern here?

Am I?
No LOL but I would have thought practically everyone your age had eaten spam at some point.

I've never tried...chicken and waffles comes to mind. I've never had collard greens, or spoon bread...

I think those things are all more rare than spam. The only one I've even heard of is collard greens.

The theme being Southern. There are lots of Southern foods I haven't tried.  I don't know if it still is, but for a while there, Cajun style was the big thing in food.  Every pub and homegrown style restaurant seemed to be doing Cajun food.  Very trendy!  And I don't like it.

I don't like a lot of Cajun food fro the same reason I don't like a lot of Mexican food, Too hot too spicy.
IMO people originally put all that hot spicy stuff on food because the food was crap and didn't have a lot of flavor by itself. Laughing

I simply can't eat oatmeal without a few dashes of Tabasco sauce.  Razz
(11-27-2017, 06:24 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 07:13 PM)Juniper Wrote: Am I?  I'm starting to think there are a lot of things I've never tried...chicken and waffles comes to mind. I've never had collard greens, or spoon bread...noticing a pattern here?

Am I?

I simply can't eat oatmeal without a few dashes of Tabasco sauce.  Razz

I love hot sauce!  Tabasco is good too.
We saw a commercial for McDonald's... on island they have a special menu with a few Hawaiian favorites. Breakfast is Rice, Eggs and Spam! [Image: f2f6e7a7372151c6c3a4db25766a81e2.jpg]

I realize this is a really old thread...but I was watching something that said that todays Spam is not the same as the stuff from the 70's and before. I wouldn't know, because I have never, ever have Spam...but...just saying...I've never wanted to try it.
(04-27-2020, 10:32 PM)Juniper Wrote: I realize this is a really old thread...but I was watching something that said that todays Spam is not the same as the stuff from the 70's and before. I wouldn't know, because I have never, ever have Spam...but...just saying...I've never wanted to try it.
I buy it by the case at Costco.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(04-27-2020, 10:32 PM)Juniper Wrote: I realize this is a really old thread...but I was watching something that said that todays Spam is not the same as the stuff from the 70's and before. I wouldn't know, because I have never, ever have Spam...but...just saying...I've never wanted to try it.
You got me reading all about spam LOL. What was  the "something" you watched? I don't know what would have changed other than now they have all these different products.
Regular spam ...... ingredients are "pork with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch (as a binder), sugar, and sodium nitrite (as a preservative). Natural gelatin is formed during cooking in its tins on the production line.["

Varieties
As listed on the official Spam website, there are numerous different flavors of Spam products, including:
  • Spam Classic – original flavor
  • Spam Hot & Spicy – with Tabasco flavor
  • Jalapeño Spam
  • Spam with Black Pepper
  • Spam Low Sodium – "25% less sodium"
  • Spam Lite – "33% fewer calories, 25% less sodium, and 50% less fat" – made from pork with ham, and mechanically separated chicken
  • Spam Oven Roasted Turkey
  • Spam Hickory Smoked
  • Spam Spread – "if you're a spreader, not a slicer ... just like Spam Classic, but in a spreadable form"
  • Spam Bacon
  • Spam Cheese
  • Spam Garlic
  • Spam Teriyaki
  • Spam Chorizo
  • Spam Boricua – seasoned Puerto Rican-style flavor
  • Spam Macadamia Nuts – Partnered with Hamakua Plantation
  • Spam Turkey
  • Spam Tocino
  • Spam Portuguese Sausage
  • Spam Pumpkin Spice - limited edition variety released in late September 2019
  • In addition to the variety of flavors, Spam is sold in tins smaller than the twelve-ounce standard size. Spam Singles are also available, which are single sandwich-sized slices of Spam Classic or Lite, sealed in retort pouches.[75]
It's funny to me how you've never wanted to try it. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with it other than too much salt and fat. Which is the same with lots of foods.
So, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam.   Big Grin 

Probably the very definition of processed meat. I haven't had any since I was very young. Dad used to bring it when we went camping but anything tastes good when your hiking all day, even pickled pigs feet.   Razz
(04-28-2020, 01:38 PM)Cuzz Wrote: So, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam.   Big Grin 

Probably the very definition of processed meat. I haven't had any since I was very young. Dad used to bring it when we went camping but anything tastes good when your hiking all day, even pickled pigs feet.   Razz
  IMO it tastes good anywhere. How can it not with all that fat and salt? And what's wrong with processed meat?

I've always heard the term used in a negative manner but really?

Processed meat is any type of meat that has been cured, canned, smoked or dried to increase its shelf life and enhance its taste and texture. Spam is a type of processed meat, alongside, for example, hot dogs, bacon, salami, beef jerky and corned beef

even pickled pigs feet

We had those in the cupboard when I was a kid because dad liked them. I've never tried them LOL
(04-28-2020, 08:06 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

REALLY??!

Well, I only mentioned it because I was watching something, and they were saying Spam used to actually be good. But I wouldn't know.
They (Tyson) is now talking about the food chain breaking down and with packers, excess livestock will have to be put down and meat will become rarer and costlier. I guess Spam fits the bill? It lasts forever?
(04-28-2020, 03:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:

IMO it tastes good anywhere. How can it not with all that fat and salt? And what's wrong with processed meat?

I've always heard the term used in a negative manner but really?

Processed meat is any type of meat that has been cured, canned, smoked or dried to increase its shelf life and enhance its taste and texture. Spam is a type of processed meat, alongside, for example, hot dogs, bacon, salami, beef jerky and corned beef

Processed meat is shown to be bad for heart health. But I think, as in all things, in moderation you're probably not really the worse off. Personally, that much fat and salt gags me. As a kid it didn't bother me and in fact I liked it but now I can't stand it.
(04-28-2020, 03:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:

even pickled pigs feet

We had those in the cupboard when I was a kid because dad liked them. I've never tried them LOL

When I was young I actually kind of liked them. But the last time I tried them they just tasted like pickled fat on a stick.

Blink
(04-28-2020, 10:11 PM)Juniper Wrote: They (Tyson) is now talking about the food chain breaking down and with packers, excess livestock will have to be put down and meat will become rarer and costlier. I guess Spam fits the bill?  It lasts forever?

Laughing   You might have a point. Survival food doesn't necessarily have to taste good I guess.
(04-28-2020, 10:09 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 08:06 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

REALLY??!

Yep! Breakfast = Fried Spam and Eggs. Lunch = Fried Spam Sandwiches. Dinner = Spam Fried Rice. We like it all!
(04-28-2020, 10:11 PM)Juniper Wrote: They (Tyson) is now talking about the food chain breaking down and with packers, excess livestock will have to be put down and meat will become rarer and costlier. I guess Spam fits the bill?  It lasts forever?

I wouldn't know... we eat ours before the "best by" date.