Breakfast Time
(04-29-2020, 07:17 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 03:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 01:38 PM)Cuzz Wrote: So, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam.   Big Grin 

Probably the very definition of processed meat. I haven't had any since I was very young. Dad used to bring it when we went camping but anything tastes good when your hiking all day, even pickled pigs feet.   Razz
  IMO it tastes good anywhere. How can it not with all that fat and salt? And what's wrong with processed meat?

I've always heard the term used in a negative manner but really?

Processed meat is any type of meat that has been cured, canned, smoked or dried to increase its shelf life and enhance its taste and texture. Spam is a type of processed meat, alongside, for example, hot dogs, bacon, salami, beef jerky and corned beef

Processed meat is shown to be bad for heart health. But I think, as in all things, in moderation you're probably not really the worse off. Personally, that much fat and salt gags me. As a kid it didn't bother me and in fact I liked it but now I can't stand it.

We usually try to get the low sodium. The lower salt actually tastes better.

Probably the very definition of processed meat. I haven't had any since I was very young. Dad used to bring it when we went camping but anything tastes good when your hiking all day, even pickled pigs feet.   Razz
  IMO it tastes good anywhere. How can it not with all that fat and salt? And what's wrong with processed meat?

Processed meat is any type of meat that has been cured, canned, smoked or dried to increase its shelf life and enhance its taste and texture. Spam is a type of processed meat, alongside, for example, hot dogs, bacon, salami, beef jerky and corned beef

Processed meat is shown to be bad for heart health. But I think, as in all things, in moderation you're probably not really the worse off. Personally, that much fat and salt gags me. As a kid it didn't bother me and in fact I liked it but now I can't stand it.

As a kid it didn't bother me and in fact I liked it but now I can't stand it.
Are you talking about spam? We rarely eat it but the only times I have was with eggs and toast.

It sure doesn't sound so bad LOL

1. What is a processed meat?

Processed meat is a meat that has been treated in some way to preserve or flavor it through salting, curing, fermenting, and smoking, says Doyle. Think: bacon, sausages, hot dogs, canned meat and other cured meats like salami. And that includes deli meat — whether red (like roast beef or ham) or white (like turkey or chicken).
(04-29-2020, 08:16 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

We usually try to get the low sodium. The lower salt actually tastes better.
Spam must be just the only food where would be true.
(04-29-2020, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Are you talking about spam? We rarely eat it but the only times I have was with eggs and toast.

Processed meat is a meat that has been treated in some way to preserve or flavor it through salting, curing, fermenting, and smoking, says Doyle. Think: bacon, sausages, hot dogs, canned meat and other cured meats like salami. And that includes deli meat — whether red (like roast beef or ham) or white (like turkey or chicken).

Yeah Spam, fat, excessive salt, any of that. Used to like it but don't so much anymore. Even bacon isn't high on my likes anymore though I'll eat it once in a while. Can't really smell it anymore, maybe that has something to do with it.
(04-29-2020, 04:48 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Yeah Spam, fat, excessive salt, any of that. Used to like it but don't so much anymore. Even bacon isn't high on my likes anymore though I'll eat it once in a while. Can't really smell it anymore, maybe that has something to do with it.

I baked some bacon on Monday! I bake it, freeze it, pull out what I want when I want it. I also get some nice bacon grease for cooking other yumminess!

[Image: 94816639_10221944385979989_3340465339073...e=5ECEEB0E]

[Image: 94872984_10221944386420000_5302859926958...e=5ED17FDD]
(04-29-2020, 09:02 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 03:56 PM)tvguy Wrote:   IMO it tastes good anywhere. How can it not with all that fat and salt? And what's wrong with processed meat?

I baked some bacon on Monday! I bake it, freeze it, pull out what I want when I want it. I also get some nice bacon grease for cooking other yumminess!

I freeze bacon.  But in bits...chopped up and fried and stored in a container. I never eat just an entire piece of bacon...
(04-29-2020, 08:14 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 10:11 PM)Juniper Wrote: They (Tyson) is now talking about the food chain breaking down and with packers, excess livestock will have to be put down and meat will become rarer and costlier. I guess Spam fits the bill?  It lasts forever?

I wouldn't know... we eat ours before the "best by" date.
I for sure wouldn't know.
I had a bad gall bladder, I could not eat anything that had too much fat. Which means a LOT of foods.

So when I had surgery for colon cancer I said... Hey sawbones! Since you are slicing me up anyway howszabout while you're in there you get rid of that pesky gall bladder.
He said show nuff, no problem. Now I'm back to eating anything I want Big Grin
(04-30-2020, 02:42 PM)tvguy Wrote: I had a bad gall bladder, I could not eat anything that had too much fat. Which means a LOT of foods.

So when I had surgery for colon cancer I said... Hey sawbones! Since you are slicing me up anyway howszabout while you're in there you get rid of that pesky gall bladder.
He said show nuff, no problem. Now I'm back to eating anything I want Big Grin
After gall bladder surgery I actually lost my taste for high fat foods.  So, most of them don't taste good to me. Except ice cream. Big Grin  But I used to love fish and chips, and now they don't taste right. Most fried foods kind of upset my tummy now.
(04-29-2020, 11:44 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 09:02 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(04-29-2020, 07:17 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Processed meat is shown to be bad for heart health. But I think, as in all things, in moderation you're probably not really the worse off. Personally, that much fat and salt gags me. As a kid it didn't bother me and in fact I liked it but now I can't stand it.

I freeze bacon.  But in bits...chopped up and fried and stored in a container. I never eat just an entire piece of bacon...

I find it easier just to buy the pre-cooked bacon at the $store in the resealable pouch.
[Image: 70014655.jpg&maxx=300&maxy=0]