Medford man cited after illegal firework blows off hand, police say
This is a horrible story, a stupid story, and this man will be maimed for the rest of his life as a result of it. Did he need to get cited for a fireworks violation too? You decide: http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northw...cart_river

Excerpt: "A Medford man lost his hand when an illegal firework exploded while he was holding it early Friday, police say.

Emergency crews responded about 12:22 a.m. to the 200 block of Mace Road and found a wounded 37-year-old David J. Jenkins.

Jenkins tried setting off a mortar rocket earlier in the night but it didn't work. He later removed the mortar, tried relighting it after drinking alcohol with friends and it blew up in his hand, police said.

Jenkins was taken to Providence Medford Medical Center and later flown to OHSU Hospital, where he is listed in fair condition.

Police cited Jenkins for illegal possession of fireworks."
Yeah, that was bright. I guess they are going to crack down a little harder this year than last, so they say. I've already heard a couple of huge bottle bombs going off. Some of them shake the windows.
Could he sign the citation?
Getting injured during the commission of a crime doesn't get you a pardon.
(06-29-2013, 12:44 PM)csrowan Wrote: Getting injured during the commission of a crime doesn't get you a pardon.

Nope. Neither ignorance nor stupidity is an excuse for breaking the law.
(06-29-2013, 12:50 PM)gapper Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 12:44 PM)csrowan Wrote: Getting injured during the commission of a crime doesn't get you a pardon.

Nope. Neither ignorance nor stupidity is an excuse for breaking the law.

I agree.

Plus he is darn lucky that no one else got hurt. That would have garnered more than a citation.
I'd have to look at exact circumstances, but I'd think that ignorance could be an excuse for breaking some laws... You know, the ridiculously arbitrary ones like not playing a kazoo past 5pm on Main St., in Whatever Town, STATE.
Yeah, you'd have to be an ostrich or from somewhere far, far away to not know that fireworks of that type are illegal here.
That, and one might be reasonably expected to know that fireworks may be restricted, so failure to find out if you're allowed to set off the kind you want could be considered criminally negligent if you set off an illegal one.

I don't think you could make the same argument about kazoo playing, though. Smiling
(06-29-2013, 01:59 PM)csrowan Wrote: That, and one might be reasonably expected to know that fireworks may be restricted, so failure to find out if you're allowed to set off the kind you want could be considered criminally negligent if you set off an illegal one.

I don't think you could make the same argument about kazoo playing, though. Smiling

But, it applies to Paula Deen.
The only legal action against her is a discrimination lawsuit. Anything else that happens to her has nothing to do with the legal system.
(06-29-2013, 04:25 PM)csrowan Wrote: The only legal action against her is a discrimination lawsuit. Anything else that happens to her has nothing to do with the legal system.

Uh....yeah, Rowan, I wasn't actually trying to literal....Neutral
I had to check the name to make sure it wasn't my ex...lol!
(06-29-2013, 07:32 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 04:25 PM)csrowan Wrote: The only legal action against her is a discrimination lawsuit. Anything else that happens to her has nothing to do with the legal system.

I have a tendency to take things literally most of the time. Especially online, where there's no body language or tone of voice to pick up on. Not that I'm all that good at picking up on that in real life...
(06-29-2013, 08:15 PM)csrowan Wrote:

I have a tendency to take things literally most of the time. Especially online, where there's no body language or tone of voice to pick up on. Not that I'm all that good at picking up on that in real life...

Yeah. But it's me. According to the forum, I just write weird shit.
(06-29-2013, 08:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

The rest of the forum may say that, but I've never noticed it myself.
(06-29-2013, 08:51 PM)csrowan Wrote:

The rest of the forum may say that, but I've never noticed it myself.

Just not picking up on it?LaughingLaughing Just kidding, Rowan.Wink

I could have swore I posted "Yes you do!" earlier but I don't see it now.

Yes you do! Razz
(06-29-2013, 08:57 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I could have swore I posted "Yes you do!" earlier but I don't see it now.

Yes you do! Razz

LaughingLaughing

On the topic of fireworks. Even though there's been a couple of house rocking bottle bombs, it's actually been unusually quiet in a neighborhood that's usually just making all kinds of pre 4th racket. Not sure why that is.
(06-29-2013, 10:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: On the topic of fireworks. Even though there's been a couple of house rocking bottle bombs, it's actually been unusually quiet in a neighborhood that's usually just making all kinds of pre 4th racket. Not sure why that is.

I agree. Normally in Eagle Point the fireworks start going off every evening but very little so far.