Medford man cited after illegal firework blows off hand, police say
(06-29-2013, 10:08 PM)Snowlover Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 10:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: On the topic of fireworks. Even though there's been a couple of house rocking bottle bombs, it's actually been unusually quiet in a neighborhood that's usually just making all kinds of pre 4th racket. Not sure why that is.

I agree. Normally in Eagle Point the fireworks start going off every evening but very little so far.

I wonder why. Last year there was so much activity. And illegal fireworks galore on the 4th. We just walked around and got a free aerial show.
(06-29-2013, 10:10 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 10:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote: On the topic of fireworks. Even though there's been a couple of house rocking bottle bombs, it's actually been unusually quiet in a neighborhood that's usually just making all kinds of pre 4th racket. Not sure why that is.

I agree. Normally in Eagle Point the fireworks start going off every evening but very little so far.

I wonder why. Last year there was so much activity. And illegal fireworks galore on the 4th. We just walked around and got a free aerial show.

It's June 29th! DUH.....
(06-29-2013, 10:17 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

It's June 29th! DUH.....

Well, no wonder you think I write weird shit. You don't READ it. Rolling Eyes See where it says "PRE 4th racket"? Usually the 4th is the finale to a week of explosions.
(06-29-2013, 10:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

It's June 29th! DUH.....

Well, no wonder you think I write weird shit. You don't READ it. Rolling Eyes See where it says "PRE 4th racket"? Usually the 4th is the finale to a week of explosions.

Mine are also post 4th racket....it usually starts as soon as fireworks go on sale and ends the Sunday after the 4th, sometimes a little longer.
(06-30-2013, 10:58 AM)Snowlover Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 10:08 PM)Snowlover Wrote: I agree. Normally in Eagle Point the fireworks start going off every evening but very little so far.

It's June 29th! DUH.....

Mine are also post 4th racket....it usually starts as soon as fireworks go on sale and ends the Sunday after the 4th, sometimes a little longer.

Lucky you. Yeah, there's a little bit after, but mostly before. But really quiet here.

It's June 29th! DUH.....

I was mostly just ribbing you, but I think it depends on the area you live and the number of folks prone to playing with this kind of stuff. We live in a condo complex that is on the lower end as far a cost to rent but is in an upscale neighborhood. I haven't heard any fireworks legal or otherwise. Another factor is I live in a county with way more than enough sheriffs and city police too.
(06-29-2013, 12:27 PM)chuck white Wrote: Could he sign the citation?

Off hand, I'd say probably not.
(06-30-2013, 12:30 PM)tornado Wrote:

At least they can't crucify him.
(06-30-2013, 12:46 PM)chuck white Wrote:

BaDumpBump! [Image: bth_drumming.gif]
(06-30-2013, 12:10 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 10:08 PM)Snowlover Wrote: I agree. Normally in Eagle Point the fireworks start going off every evening but very little so far.

It's June 29th! DUH.....

I was mostly just ribbing you, but I think it depends on the area you live and the number of folks prone to playing with this kind of stuff. We live in a condo complex that is on the lower end as far a cost to rent but is in an upscale neighborhood. I haven't heard any fireworks legal or otherwise. Another factor is I live in a county with way more than enough sheriffs and city police too.

Last year, (I think) Medford decided to relax it's fireworks rules. So for 3 days the 2nd, 3rd and 4th you can set off legal fireworks. Because enforcing the ban wasn't really do-able or working. But oh, my the illegal kind last year, were a LOT.
This is the current story, running about this case. Significantly different from the first. The first one makes it sound like he was drunk and then went back and tried to relight the firework. This one sounds different. In my experience I've never seen any report from police, newspaper, news or otherwise be a very accurate representation of the facts.

June 30, 2013

By Ryan Pfeil
Mail Tribune
David Jenkins had gone outside to pick up what he thought was a dead piece of fireworks in the early morning hours Friday, when it went off in his hand.
"I went straight into shock," said Jenkins, 37. "I looked at it and went, 'Oh, no.' "
The accident cost him two fingers, but Jenkins said he's in good spirits. He's recuperating at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, and he said he's still got one more surgery.
Medford police reported the incident happened around 12:22 a.m. Friday at a home in the 200 block of Mace Road. Jenkins and some friends lit what is called a double-shot mortar, which police said is illegal in Oregon because it explodes.
Under Oregon law, fireworks that explode, fly into the air, travel more than 6 feet horizontally or travel more than 12 inches vertically from the point of ignition are illegal.
Only one of the two embedded explosives went off when Jenkins lit it.
"The other one didn't do anything," Jenkins said.
Jenkins said he went back inside and came back out to pick up the "dud" an hour or so later. Police originally reported that Jenkins lit the remaining portion, but he says that's not true, adding he picked it up with his right hand and it went off unprovoked.
Jenkins said he is left-handed.
After he saw he'd been injured, he told friends to call 911. They did, and used a towel to fashion a tourniquet on the injured hand afterward. Jenkins was originally transported to Providence Medford Medical Center before being transported to OHSU.
Police said they issued Jenkins a $250 citation for using the illegal firework.
Jenkins said doctors were able to save his other fingers, and he said additional therapy should help them further.
"It's not that bad," he said. "It looked a lot worse than it was."
He added several friends have dropped by to wish him well at the hospital, which has helped. He speculated that he'll probably be up north for a couple more days before he's discharged.
He added that he's going to use extra caution
So, we are to believe that this "dud" sat in the yard for an hour and, when he picked it up, it just spontaneously ignited?
Can someone more well versed than I in pyrotechnics confirm this is possible?
Sounds hokey to me, but I might just not know the possibilities.
(06-30-2013, 02:05 PM)gapper Wrote: So, we are to believe that this "dud" sat in the yard for an hour and, when he picked it up, it just spontaneously ignited?

Oh, I'm just saying we never know the facts of a case. I think he's lying.
He picked it up with his non-dominant hand? Possible, but less likely. However, had he been lighting the fuse, it would be more likely that he held the mortar with his non-dominant hand and held the lighter to light the fuse in his dominant hand.
(06-30-2013, 03:13 PM)csrowan Wrote: He picked it up with his non-dominant hand? Possible, but less likely. However, had he been lighting the fuse, it would be more likely that he held the mortar with his non-dominant hand and held the lighter to light the fuse in his dominant hand.

My thoughts as well. That is how I would do it, as it would be awkward for me to manipulate the lighter with my non-dominant hand.
(06-30-2013, 02:05 PM)gapper Wrote: So, we are to believe that this "dud" sat in the yard for an hour and, when he picked it up, it just spontaneously ignited?

No wonder you support most of TVguys views. Lock em up if if they stray. Ninja
(06-30-2013, 05:04 PM)gapper Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 03:13 PM)csrowan Wrote: He picked it up with his non-dominant hand? Possible, but less likely. However, had he been lighting the fuse, it would be more likely that he held the mortar with his non-dominant hand and held the lighter to light the fuse in his dominant hand.

My thoughts as well. That is how I would do it, as it would be awkward for me to manipulate the lighter with my non-dominant hand.

You mean 'your' non-drinking hand?Laughing
(06-30-2013, 07:06 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 05:04 PM)gapper Wrote:

You mean 'your' non-drinking hand?Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing
(06-30-2013, 12:46 PM)chuck white Wrote:

But they'll try to nail him to the cross for his stupidity, one hand at least!
(06-30-2013, 06:36 PM)cletus1 Wrote:

No wonder you support most of TVguys views. Lock em up if if they stray. Ninja

Wow. Where have I said "lock em up"?? Oh, I didn't.
I said it sounds hokey to me (as in my simple opinion) and asked for someone with more knowledge if it were even possible. You evidently don't know the answer, but just had to say something, even it was off topic and related to nothing I said that you quoted.
Mimicking another here that often has to say something, relevant or not, does not become you.