Sharing the back roads with cyclists
I want to stay away from the legality of the issue and talk more about the practicality. I am specifically interested in the mindset of those that choose to go out and ride for the pleasure of it. I mentioned in another thread that my previous posts about bike riders were not serious. This one is.

I'll start out with my little drive yesterday. I was westbound on highway 234. This road is very straight and level and, (in most places), you can see for a long distance in front of you. There is no bike lane and there are maybe 12-18" of asphalt to the right of the fog line. However, the lanes are quite wide. There were quite a few people out riding and I think its safe to assume that they were not simply trying to get from point A to point B. They were riding for pleasure. I can't for the life of me see what would be pleasurable about riding out there. The scenery is drab. The traffic is fairly heavy but I suppose they find some safety in that the visibility is good. Most of the riders stayed to the right but not to the extreme right. It was clear that they did not want to be passed unless the car or truck had room to veer into the oncoming lane. I don't have a big problem with these folks. At least they have the decency to ride in an area where they are not creating a hazard.

So then I turned right on Meadows. This road starts out fairly open. Again, no bike lanes but decent visibility. There were fewer cyclists but there were some. As I proceeded north the road got narrow and winding. It crossed my mind that there were likely to be more bike riders around so I drove pretty slow. But I was in my pickup... and it would be easy to stop. I did see a couple of cyclists out there and I wondered how on Earth they were finding this ride to be enjoyable. Didn't they have a constant worry that someone might come around a corner and slam them? Or do they assume that the entire motoring world was operating under the assumption that there might be a cyclist around every corner and that we were all proceeding accordingly?

I frequently travel on roads far more remote than Meadows and I see cyclists in some really dangerous places. Why are they there? I can't imagine that they feel secure? Are they being defiant or are they just stupid? Aren't there any places for these folks to go where they can enjoy nature or scenery without putting themselves, (and others), at risk?

I spent a good part of my youth on a bike. I rode it to get from A to B and I rode it for fun. I still ride a bike from time to time. I would never, ever strap a bike to the hood of my car, drive out to the country, and purposely choose a narrow winding road with no shoulders and then proceed to "ride for enjoyment." What is enjoyable about putting yourself in that situation? Does looking at trees trump being a hazard?

So that is my question: What is the fun in riding out in the back country unless you can manage to stay away from motorized traffic? Please forget the legality and focus on the practicality. We all know the that bikes have the right to be there.
I can't answer for the cyclists, as I am not one.

However, I see in your questions the challenges I see with a lot of questioning of others' habits or practices. Not everyone has the same mindset or base of values as I do.

Why would one want to ride in these places you perceive as dangerous or boring? Probably lots of reasons for lots of people. I don't know the areas you are speaking of but maybe less traffic? Maybe a lack of places to ride that people with different mindsets would deem safer? Maybe a different appreciation of the sights? Maybe what you find drab they find intriguing? Maybe for exercise? Or, maybe, just because they can?

I spend a lot of time on the road and know there are some "in your face" cyclists, that seem to want to push the limits of reasonable safety and common sense. On the other hand, I also encounter many that show their gratitude when I spare a few extra seconds and slow down and give them all of the room I can safely give them to share the road.
(06-30-2013, 07:56 AM)gapper Wrote: I can't answer for the cyclists, as I am not one.

However, I see in your questions the challenges I see with a lot of questioning of others' habits or practices. Not everyone has the same mindset or base of values as I do.

Why would one want to ride in these places you perceive as dangerous or boring? Probably lots of reasons for lots of people. I don't know the areas you are speaking of but maybe less traffic? Maybe a lack of places to ride that people with different mindsets would deem safer? Maybe a different appreciation of the sights? Maybe what you find drab they find intriguing? Maybe for exercise? Or, maybe, just because they can?

I spend a lot of time on the road and know there are some "in your face" cyclists, that seem to want to push the limits of reasonable safety and common sense. On the other hand, I also encounter many that show their gratitude when I spare a few extra seconds and slow down and give them all of the room I can safely give them to share the road.

Its the folks riding in places where I do not have the option to "spare a few extra seconds" that I don't understand. You come around a corner and there they are! If you have a vehicle coming from the other direction, something has got to give. IMHO, it is the height of arrogance, inconsideration and stupidity to be riding around in those conditions. How dare they involve me in their death wish?
(06-30-2013, 08:45 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 07:56 AM)gapper Wrote: I can't answer for the cyclists, as I am not one.

Its the folks riding in places where I do not have the option to "spare a few extra seconds" that I don't understand. You come around a corner and there they are! If you have a vehicle coming from the other direction, something has got to give. IMHO, it is the height of arrogance, inconsideration and stupidity to be riding around in those conditions. How dare they involve me in their death wish?

Well, I guess in a perfect world there would be only long straight roads with miles of visibility and no hills or curves where cyclists could get out and ride. But, alas, we don't live in a perfect world.
As stated, I spend a lot of time on the road and I've encountered thousands of cyclists over the years, on all sorts of different roads and byways. Never have I hit one, so I guess I haven't been in a situation where I truly didn't have a few extra seconds to slow down and share the road.

How many have you hit, just out of curiosity?
(06-30-2013, 08:49 AM)gapper Wrote:

Well, I guess in a perfect world there would be only long straight roads with miles of visibility and no hills or curves where cyclists could get out and ride. But, alas, we don't live in a perfect world.
As stated, I spend a lot of time on the road and I've encountered thousands of cyclists over the years, on all sorts of different roads and byways. Never have I hit one, so I guess I haven't been in a situation where I truly didn't have a few extra seconds to slow down and share the road.

None, but there have been occasions where it was pure luck that nobody was coming from the other direction. Also, it has happened to me, (twice), that I was the person coming from the other direction and I was forced off the road, (in order to make room for the guy swerving to miss the cyclist) that saved the situation from being deadly. My heading for the shoulder was instinctive and, on both occasions, I was lucky that there was nothing more than some brush to contend with.
(06-30-2013, 09:01 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:

None, but there have been occasions where it was pure luck that nobody was coming from the other direction. Also, it has happened to me, (twice), that I was the person coming from the other direction and I was forced off the road, (in order to make room for the guy swerving to miss the cyclist) that saved the situation from being deadly. My heading for the shoulder was instinctive and, on both occasions, I was lucky that there was nothing more than some brush to contend with.

That is lucky.
In all of my tens of thousands of miles of driving, I've never had a really close call with a biker, although admit to being a little nervous a few times, mainly along the coast highway. On the other hand, I've had to, on several occasions bail for the shoulder and pucker my cheeks for errant cars, motorcycles (some of the worst) and trucks on all kinds of roads and highways.
(06-30-2013, 09:04 AM)gapper Wrote:

That is lucky.
In all of my tens of thousands of miles of driving, I've never had a really close call with a biker, although admit to being a little nervous a few times, mainly along the coast highway. On the other hand, I've had to, on several occasions bail for the shoulder and pucker my cheeks for errant cars, motorcycles (some of the worst) and trucks on all kinds of roads and highways.

In the case of errant cars, motorcycles and trucks there is a reasonable expectation that folks traveling in the same direction will be doing so at speeds that would make confrontation far less likely. Quite the opposite when it comes to bikes and motorized traffic sharing the same narrow winding lane.
(06-30-2013, 09:11 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 08:45 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Its the folks riding in places where I do not have the option to "spare a few extra seconds" that I don't understand. You come around a corner and there they are! If you have a vehicle coming from the other direction, something has got to give. IMHO, it is the height of arrogance, inconsideration and stupidity to be riding around in those conditions. How dare they involve me in their death wish?

That is lucky.

In the case of errant cars, motorcycles and trucks there is a reasonable expectation that folks traveling in the same direction will be doing so at speeds that would make confrontation far less likely. Quite the opposite when it comes to bikes and motorized traffic sharing the same narrow winding lane.

So, you're saying, basically, "there ought to be a law" against riding bikes on narrow winding roads?
In our town we have bike lanes on almost all of the city streets (outside of neighborhoods). Yesterday (and we've ran into this many times) on a busy street with a 45mph speed limit we ran across a couple riding side-by-side... in a bike lane meant for a single rider. The woman was on the curb side... the man was riding on the line. First... ILLEGAL! Second... STUPID! Some people are oblivious to their surroundings... and just DON'T GET IT. Rolling Eyes
(06-30-2013, 09:16 AM)gapper Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 09:11 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 08:49 AM)gapper Wrote: Well, I guess in a perfect world there would be only long straight roads with miles of visibility and no hills or curves where cyclists could get out and ride. But, alas, we don't live in a perfect world.

That is lucky.

So, you're saying, basically, "there ought to be a law" against riding bikes on narrow winding roads?

No, I'm saying that if you choose to ride on those roads that it should be at your own risk. The motorized traffic should take reasonable measures to avoid you but, ultimately, you knew the danger and proceeded regardless. I think that it would be reasonable to post signs on roads that are deemed "unsafe" for cyclists. Not to prevent them from riding but to make sure that they understand the risk.
Perhaps trucks could drive like there could be an obstruction in the road at any possible moment, including pedestrians, bicyclists, workmen or accidents, and keep those possibilities always under consideration. Would that work?
(06-30-2013, 06:58 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I want to stay away from the legality of the issue and talk more about the practicality. I am specifically interested in the mindset of those that choose to go out and ride for the pleasure of it. I mentioned in another thread that my previous posts about bike riders were not serious. This one is.

I'll start out with my little drive yesterday. I was westbound on highway 234. This road is very straight and level and, (in most places), you can see for a long distance in front of you. There is no bike lane and there are maybe 12-18" of asphalt to the right of the fog line. However, the lanes are quite wide. There were quite a few people out riding and I think its safe to assume that they were not simply trying to get from point A to point B. They were riding for pleasure. I can't for the life of me see what would be pleasurable about riding out there. The scenery is drab. The traffic is fairly heavy but I suppose they find some safety in that the visibility is good. Most of the riders stayed to the right but not to the extreme right. It was clear that they did not want to be passed unless the car or truck had room to veer into the oncoming lane. I don't have a big problem with these folks. At least they have the decency to ride in an area where they are not creating a hazard.

So then I turned right on Meadows. This road starts out fairly open. Again, no bike lanes but decent visibility. There were fewer cyclists but there were some. As I proceeded north the road got narrow and winding. It crossed my mind that there were likely to be more bike riders around so I drove pretty slow. But I was in my pickup... and it would be easy to stop. I did see a couple of cyclists out there and I wondered how on Earth they were finding this ride to be enjoyable. Didn't they have a constant worry that someone might come around a corner and slam them? Or do they assume that the entire motoring world was operating under the assumption that there might be a cyclist around every corner and that we were all proceeding accordingly?

I frequently travel on roads far more remote than Meadows and I see cyclists in some really dangerous places. Why are they there? I can't imagine that they feel secure? Are they being defiant or are they just stupid? Aren't there any places for these folks to go where they can enjoy nature or scenery without putting themselves, (and others), at risk?

I spent a good part of my youth on a bike. I rode it to get from A to B and I rode it for fun. I still ride a bike from time to time. I would never, ever strap a bike to the hood of my car, drive out to the country, and purposely choose a narrow winding road with no shoulders and then proceed to "ride for enjoyment." What is enjoyable about putting yourself in that situation? Does looking at trees trump being a hazard?

So that is my question: What is the fun in riding out in the back country unless you can manage to stay away from motorized traffic? Please forget the legality and focus on the practicality. We all know the that bikes have the right to be there.

Because I now live on a steep hill I don't ride from point A to point B because I'd never get back home. (Too steep and far to even walk it!) I do ride almost daily (weather permitting) for exercise and fun. I would never consider riding on roads as you describe and when I come across the same situations here, I am dumbfounded also.
(06-30-2013, 06:58 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: I want to stay away from the legality of the issue and talk more about the practicality. I am specifically interested in the mindset of those that choose to go out and ride for the pleasure of it. I mentioned in another thread that my previous posts about bike riders were not serious. This one is.

I think they do for it the exercise. They want a long loop of a prescribed distance. How that road fit into that, I don't know. I'm not invested in cyclists who are riding for pleasure. I'm invested in it as a form of transportation and being safe. I have no reason to travel such roads. Sometimes when I am driving, I get really nervous because I'm afraid there will be cyclist around a bend and I won't see them in time.
(06-30-2013, 06:58 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: So that is my question: What is the fun in riding out in the back country unless you can manage to stay away from motorized traffic? Please forget the legality and focus on the practicality. We all know the that bikes have the right to be there.

I have often wondered if they understand the risk they are taking. When I encounter bikes I always give them a wide berth but on some roads it isn't as easy. Just a few weeks ago I was driving up Hwy 62 towards Union Creek. This is mostly straight with lots of visibility but there are some corners. I came around a couple of corners and there was a bicyclist who was riding as far to the right as he could get. I am in my motorhome and a car was coming towards me. I was able to move to the left some but I was puckered up because I wasn't able to slow down enough to stay behind the bike until the car passed. We were three wide and thank goodness the oncoming car recognized the danger and moved to his fog line so I could get some room. It made me wonder if they are enjoying their ride or if they pucker up every time a car goes by since there was so much car, truck and motor home traffic on a weekend.
Your a big ass truck and they are just tiny cyclist, What the problem? They'll soon learn to move.
(06-30-2013, 01:13 PM)chuck white Wrote: Your a big ass truck and they are just tiny cyclist, What the problem? They'll soon learn to move.

If they get hit... I bet they won't let it happen again.
I went on a group ride yesterday.

My first. Maybe my last.

We (about 15 of us) started at the Post Office parking lot in Gold Hill, over the bridge and to Lapman Rd. No bike Lane on Lapman and the "leader" allowed the group to spread out into "mini groups", some riding two abreast. Meaning vehicles had to past groups not once, but several times. Lapman turns int to Old 99, and here there was more traffic. Still, the groups peddled along at about 5-10 MPH. Here I learned that the "rule" is for the rider behind to watch the mirror and yell "Car-back" and the riders are to ride single file as close to the fog line as possible. By this time I had moved to near the front, and this practice was observed. It helps.

We had refreshments in the city of Rogue River and rode the bike path past The Valley of The Rogue where it ends. We then rode Old 99/234 back to Gold Hill, and here again there is no bike lane.

While having refreshments I heard some chatter about bikes having the "right" to the lane, and that it's safer to not ride on the edge of the road because riders are more visible out in the lane (an so safer?)

Bikes my have "the right"? I don't know; not up on the DMV rules. But the right is one thing, common sense another. As a driver of motor vehicles I think bike riders can be a royal pain in the ass. I enjoy riding, and I don't want to be that pain.

We must share at times. Bike riders should be courteous and understand that pleasure riding should mean we give way to people actually going someplace when possible.

So, I'll do my riding solo, (did on motorcycles too) and hope to find the right mix.

(By the way, we rode from 10:00 AM - 1:00 (with break) and while it was hot, it was actually quite comfortable as the moisture evaporated from the skin. But, don't want to be out in the sun in the late afternoon)
(06-30-2013, 02:44 PM)Wonky Wrote: I went on a group ride yesterday.

My first. Maybe my last.

We (about 15 of us) started at the Post Office parking lot in Gold Hill, over the bridge and to Lapman Rd. No bike Lane on Lapman and the "leader" allowed the group to spread out into "mini groups", some riding two abreast. Meaning vehicles had to past groups not once, but several times. Lapman turns int to Old 99, and here there was more traffic. Still, the groups peddled along at about 5-10 MPH. Here I learned that the "rule" is for the rider behind to watch the mirror and yell "Car-back" and the riders are to ride single file as close to the fog line as possible. By this time I had moved to near the front, and this practice was observed. It helps.

We had refreshments in the city of Rogue River and rode the bike path past The Valley of The Rogue where it ends. We then rode Old 99/234 back to Gold Hill, and here again there is no bike lane.

While having refreshments I heard some chatter about bikes having the "right" to the lane, and that it's safer to not ride on the edge of the road because riders are more visible out in the lane (an so safer?)

Bikes my have "the right"? I don't know; not up on the DMV rules. But the right is one thing, common sense another. As a driver of motor vehicles I think bike riders can be a royal pain in the ass. I enjoy riding, and I don't want to be that pain.

We must share at times. Bike riders should be courteous and understand that pleasure riding should mean we give way to people actually going someplace when possible.

So, I'll do my riding solo, (did on motorcycles too) and hope to find the right mix.

(By the way, we rode from 10:00 AM - 1:00 (with break) and while it was hot, it was actually quite comfortable as the moisture evaporated from the skin. But, don't want to be out in the sun in the late afternoon)

Yeah, riding in heat isn't really all that bad. (I say as I stay holed up inside)
(06-30-2013, 05:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 02:44 PM)Wonky Wrote: I went on a group ride yesterday.

My first. Maybe my last.

Yeah, riding in heat isn't really all that bad. (I say as I stay holed up inside)

I'm lucky because I perspire profusely during very active exercise . (Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow)
If I can catch any kind of breeze I cool down fast.

Gee, that was exciting. Hope your blood pressure is not elevated. (Just love "talking" with ya, Tia)
When I am on my bike, I find sharing the road with cars to be too nerve wracking, so I don't do it for too long. Riding to the bike path is about my limit. I once saw a bike cruising down Siskiyou along a long line of parked cars. Someone opened the car door, not realizing there was a cyclist whizzing by, who almost got knocked on his keester. Scary.