Sharing the back roads with cyclists
(07-02-2013, 11:26 AM)TennisMom Wrote: When I am on my bike, I find sharing the road with cars to be too nerve wracking, so I don't do it for too long. Riding to the bike path is about my limit. I once saw a bike cruising down Siskiyou along a long line of parked cars. Someone opened the car door, not realizing there was a cyclist whizzing by, who almost got knocked on his keester. Scary.

Well, as far as urban cycling goes, unless cities put effort into it, it's not really a very good deal. Some cities have lots of cyclists and they hate them.
(06-30-2013, 11:18 AM)Snowlover Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 06:58 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: So that is my question: What is the fun in riding out in the back country unless you can manage to stay away from motorized traffic? Please forget the legality and focus on the practicality. We all know the that bikes have the right to be there.

I have often wondered if they understand the risk they are taking. When I encounter bikes I always give them a wide berth but on some roads it isn't as easy. Just a few weeks ago I was driving up Hwy 62 towards Union Creek. This is mostly straight with lots of visibility but there are some corners. I came around a couple of corners and there was a bicyclist who was riding as far to the right as he could get. I am in my motorhome and a car was coming towards me. I was able to move to the left some but I was puckered up because I wasn't able to slow down enough to stay behind the bike until the car passed. We were three wide and thank goodness the oncoming car recognized the danger and moved to his fog line so I could get some room. It made me wonder if they are enjoying their ride or if they pucker up every time a car goes by since there was so much car, truck and motor home traffic on a weekend.

What!!!Blink if you can't pass a bike rider and give him plenty of room then DON"T PASS until you can. That's the law.
I seems to me that GCG thinks bike riding in those areas is more dangerous than it really is.
How often to we hear about bike riders getting hit?? Very rarely IMO.

I won't ride a bike without a rear view mirror. You can hear cars and trucks coming. I stay to the right and if I see that you are going to hit me I will drive off the road.
(07-02-2013, 03:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 06:58 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: So that is my question: What is the fun in riding out in the back country unless you can manage to stay away from motorized traffic? Please forget the legality and focus on the practicality. We all know the that bikes have the right to be there.

I have often wondered if they understand the risk they are taking. When I encounter bikes I always give them a wide berth but on some roads it isn't as easy. Just a few weeks ago I was driving up Hwy 62 towards Union Creek. This is mostly straight with lots of visibility but there are some corners. I came around a couple of corners and there was a bicyclist who was riding as far to the right as he could get. I am in my motorhome and a car was coming towards me. I was able to move to the left some but I was puckered up because I wasn't able to slow down enough to stay behind the bike until the car passed. We were three wide and thank goodness the oncoming car recognized the danger and moved to his fog line so I could get some room. It made me wonder if they are enjoying their ride or if they pucker up every time a car goes by since there was so much car, truck and motor home traffic on a weekend.

What!!!Blink if you can't pass a bike rider and give him plenty of room then DON"T PASS until you can. That's the law.

You've never come around a bend and encountered cyclist that you didn't expect to see? And have limited reaction time?
(07-02-2013, 03:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: I seems to me that GCG thinks bike riding in those areas is more dangerous than it really is.
How often to we hear about bike riders getting hit?? Very rarely IMO.

I won't ride a bike without a rear view mirror. You can hear cars and trucks coming. I stay to the right and if I see that you are going to hit me I will drive off the road.

Well that's just stupid and you are a silly twit. Really.

Mirrors are for sissies! Mirrors take all the fun from bike riding. There is no thrill if you can see the truck that is about to cream you.

I ride IN the lane, close to the center line. Hey, I pay my taxes! I'm a US Citizen by cracky, and free to do whatever the law allows.

I used to have a bike with a motor. I gotta tell ya, it beats the hell out of peddling. Maybe that's why I'm a bit testy. Ya think? Razz
(07-02-2013, 05:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

You've never come around a bend and encountered cyclist that you didn't expect to see? And have limited reaction time?

OK well it didn't sound to me like that was the case. I know for a fact that a lot of people will pass a cyclist very closely when a car is coming in the other lane INSTEAD of slowing down until you can go in to the oncoming lane.

And actually I not sure I have EVER came upon a cyclist so quickly that I couldn't possibly stop.
(07-02-2013, 06:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:

OK well it didn't sound to me like that was the case. I know for a fact that a lot of people will pass a cyclist very closely when a car is coming in the other lane INSTEAD of slowing down until you can go in to the oncoming lane.

And actually I not sure I have EVER came upon a cyclist so quickly that I couldn't possibly stop.

I have. More than once.

You don't hear about it because the more likely outcome is going to be a truck driving off into the trees or the brush. Not exactly newsworthy stuff. If a cyclist gets killed it will certainly make the news... and whoever hits him/her will be a pariah.

Did you read Snowlover's post? That shit happens a LOT. Even if no one gets killed, why should it be okay to put the rest of us through that? Some roads should be posted as a danger to bicycles... and they should only be able to ride them at their own risk.

Let me put it another way. Let's say that I round a corner and have an oncoming wide load. There is also a biker in the mix and the biker dies. Why should our lives be forever changed because of the biker's stupidity? Remember, I am not talking legalities here, I am talking practicalities.
(07-02-2013, 06:49 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 11:18 AM)Snowlover Wrote: I have often wondered if they understand the risk they are taking. When I encounter bikes I always give them a wide berth but on some roads it isn't as easy. Just a few weeks ago I was driving up Hwy 62 towards Union Creek. This is mostly straight with lots of visibility but there are some corners. I came around a couple of corners and there was a bicyclist who was riding as far to the right as he could get. I am in my motorhome and a car was coming towards me. I was able to move to the left some but I was puckered up because I wasn't able to slow down enough to stay behind the bike until the car passed. We were three wide and thank goodness the oncoming car recognized the danger and moved to his fog line so I could get some room. It made me wonder if they are enjoying their ride or if they pucker up every time a car goes by since there was so much car, truck and motor home traffic on a weekend.

I have. More than once.

You don't hear about it because the more likely outcome is going to be a truck driving off into the trees or the brush. Not exactly newsworthy stuff. If a cyclist gets killed it will certainly make the news... and whoever hits him/her will be a pariah.

Did you read Snowlover's post? That shit happens a LOT. Even if no one gets killed, why should it be okay to put the rest of us through that? Some roads should be posted as a danger to bicycles... and they should only be able to ride them at their own risk.

Let me put it another way. Let's say that I round a corner and have an oncoming wide load. There is also a biker in the mix and the biker dies. Why should our lives be forever changed because of the biker's stupidity? Remember, I am not talking legalities here, I am talking practicalities.

Well they do indeed ride them at their own risk don't they? BTW my life was nearly ended forever because of a trucker who was too much of an asshole to bother to go in to the other lane. As far as why should your life be forever changed... well unless you want to make it illegal I'm not sure what else can be done to totally prevent the possibility of killing a cyclist.

Part of the problem I see with this is the you didn't expect to see part that Tia said. We are supposed to expect to see something and drive accordingly.

Most curves on roads are not so sharp to be so surprised by a bike. And if they are that sharp how fast can one be traveling?
(07-02-2013, 07:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-02-2013, 03:26 PM)tvguy Wrote: What!!!Blink if you can't pass a bike rider and give him plenty of room then DON"T PASS until you can. That's the law.

I have. More than once.

Well they do indeed ride them at their own risk don't they? BTW my life was nearly ended forever because of a trucker who was too much of an asshole to bother to go in to the other lane. As far as why should your life be forever changed... well unless you want to make it illegal I'm not sure what else can be done to totally prevent the possibility of killing a cyclist.

I'm not saying the scenario never happens come around a bend and encountered cyclist that you didn't expect to see? And have limited reaction time?

Part of the problem I see with this is the you didn't expect to see part that Tia said. We are supposed to expect to see something and drive accordingly.

Most curves on roads are not so sharp to be so surprised by a bike. And if they are that sharp how fast can one be traveling?

You have a reasonable expectation that whatever is in the lane is either a) a motor vehicle or b) some other obstruction be it animal, or tree, or rock or whatever else is there. The game changer is that it might be a human. If we are supposed to drive all back roads with the expectation that an idiotic human is possibly around every corner than we are being IMPRACTICAL. Which is why I framed the question in the way that I did.
(07-02-2013, 07:12 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(07-02-2013, 05:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You've never come around a bend and encountered cyclist that you didn't expect to see? And have limited reaction time?

I have. More than once.

I'm not saying the scenario never happens come around a bend and encountered cyclist that you didn't expect to see? And have limited reaction time?

You have a reasonable expectation that whatever is in the lane is either a) a motor vehicle or b) some other obstruction be it animal, or tree, or rock or whatever else is there. The game changer is that it might be a human. If we are supposed to drive all back roads with the expectation that an idiotic human is possibly around every corner than we are being IMPRACTICAL. Which is why I framed the question in the way that I did.

I ride a bicycle and I drive a motor vehicle.

I agree with you.
(07-02-2013, 07:12 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: You have a reasonable expectation that whatever is in the lane is either a) a motor vehicle or b) some other obstruction be it animal, or tree, or rock or whatever else is there. The game changer is that it might be a human. If we are supposed to drive all back roads with the expectation that an idiotic human is possibly around every corner than we are being IMPRACTICAL. Which is why I framed the question in the way that I did.

But the fact is there actually is a possibility that a human on a bike is around some blind corner so why is it IMPRACTICAL to have a reasonable expectation a biker will be there?

You said...What is the fun in riding out in the back country unless you can manage to stay away from motorized traffic?

BTW I drove that exact road hundreds of times because I lived out there for four years. With the exception of getting hit by a vehicle it's a great place to bike ride.Razz
I would ride there because like I said I'm very aware of who is coming from behind and if I have to I will drive in to the ditch.

I just wonder where exactly there is a place for bikers to ride. You wondered why anyone would want to ride on flat ass boring 234 where you said at least they were not a hazard.
(07-02-2013, 07:17 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-02-2013, 07:12 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(07-02-2013, 06:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: OK well it didn't sound to me like that was the case. I know for a fact that a lot of people will pass a cyclist very closely when a car is coming in the other lane INSTEAD of slowing down until you can go in to the oncoming lane.

I have. More than once.

I ride a bicycle and I drive a motor vehicle.

I agree with you.

How do you answer a question saying you agreeLaughing

Waiter.. "would you like apple pie"

Wonky.. "I agree" Big Grin
I have an idea I know where GCG's trucks are running on this job, since log trucks were pounding Meadows Road this morning from one particular company, and they're going up W. Evans Cr. Rd.

For whatever it's worth, the entire length of W. Evans Cr. Rd. is a designated bicycle riding path of some sort, it's even got signs up saying such a thing. Finding bicycles anywhere along this route shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Smiling
(07-02-2013, 07:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-02-2013, 07:12 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote: You have a reasonable expectation that whatever is in the lane is either a) a motor vehicle or b) some other obstruction be it animal, or tree, or rock or whatever else is there. The game changer is that it might be a human. If we are supposed to drive all back roads with the expectation that an idiotic human is possibly around every corner than we are being IMPRACTICAL. Which is why I framed the question in the way that I did.

But the fact is there actually is a possibility that a human on a bike is around some blind corner so why is it IMPRACTICAL to have a reasonable expectation a biker will be there?

Because the entire backwoods driving world would have to slow down to a crawl and we would be tiptoeing around countless corners just in case...

F that. It makes no sense. Sounds great...doesn't work for shit.

You said...What is the fun in riding out in the back country unless you can manage to stay away from motorized traffic?

BTW I drove that exact road hundreds of times because I lived out there for four years. With the exception of getting hit by a vehicle it's a great place to bike ride.Razz
I would ride there because like I said I'm very aware of who is coming from behind and if I have to I will drive in to the ditch.

I just wonder where exactly there is a place for bikers to ride. You wondered why anyone would want to ride on flat ass boring 234 where you said at least they were not a hazard.

Great, let them ride there! I'm cool with that.
Quote:GCG Because the entire backwoods driving world would have to slow down to a crawl and we would be tiptoeing around countless corners just in case...

I'm not trying to argue but I just don't think going in to corners at a speed that allows you to stop if something is in the road is out of the question.

That area you are talking about doesn't have so many blind curves to shut down logging to a crawl.
(07-02-2013, 07:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:GCG Because the entire backwoods driving world would have to slow down to a crawl and we would be tiptoeing around countless corners just in case...

I'm not trying to argue but I just don't think going in to corners at a speed that allows you to stop if something is in the road is out of the question.

That area you are talking about doesn't have so many blind curves to shut down logging to a crawl.

Nope. I think you ARE arguing and I think you "lost" a couple of posts ago. I still think you are the wisest man this side of the Pecos, and there is no doubt that fish fear you, but on this one I think you tanked. Laughing
(07-02-2013, 07:30 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I have an idea I know where GCG's trucks are running on this job, since log trucks were pounding Meadows Road this morning from one particular company, and they're going up W. Evans Cr. Rd.

For whatever it's worth, the entire length of W. Evans Cr. Rd. is a designated bicycle riding path of some sort, it's even got signs up saying such a thing. Finding bicycles anywhere along this route shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Smiling

It's East Evans creek road where he's talking about, where Meadows is.
Right. And after you travel about 3 miles on East Evans Cr. Rd. and turn right on W. Fork Evans Cr. Rd. (towards Elderberry Flats) that's the direction they were going. It still fits. See if "luck of the irish" means anything to GCG. Smiling
(07-02-2013, 07:45 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Nope. I think you ARE arguing and I think you "lost" a couple of posts ago. I still think you are the wisest man this side of the Pecos, and there is no doubt that fish fear you, but on this one I think you tanked. Laughing

OK so what's your answer? Cyclists should not ride on any roads unless the roads are straight?
A motorist is NOT expected to drive in a manner that allows him to brake in time if something is around a curve?

I say lets test this out, you get on your bike and I'll haul ass down some curvy road not expecting you to be there. OK?

BTW my buddy once bought me a T-shirt that said "fish fear me"Laughing

I'm actually not that concerned about those areas. I just mentioned them because they are local.

Maybe this is a better way of looking at it: If I am in a loaded log truck and I slow down for every blind corner with the assumption that a slow moving bicycle will be in my lane... then I will have slowed down far too much for thousands of corners for no good reason...because no rider was there. Out of those thousands of times that I slowed down far too much... how many times might I get ass-ended by a car or a camper or another truck?

IMHO there are 2 options: Either put the onus on the bike riders or put a far slower speed limit on the rest of us. In the case of the latter, those of us in the commercial industry can just pass along the extra cost to you.