Sharing the back roads with cyclists
(07-10-2013, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: Someone wrote in to the MMT a letter to the editor today just to complain that cyclists often violate the laws.
I think people hate cyclists because occasionally are slowed down in their car when a cyclist in in their way.
I don't get it. I could care less if cyclists run stop signs or even red lights. It's their ass THEY are risking, not mine.

And I have never understood the logic in not allowing bikes on sidewalks. It seems to me that the act of a pedestrian getting hit by a cyclist is no where near as bad as a cyclist getting hit by a car.

I'll ride on the sidewalk if the amount of space on the street doesn't feel "safe" to me. My definition. As for breaking laws, well, I'll ride on the wrong side of the street and run reds if I'm making a right hand turn ahead, or there's no traffic coming. I am guilty, I admit it.

You should have posted the letter.
(07-10-2013, 05:53 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: Someone wrote in to the MMT a letter to the editor today just to complain that cyclists often violate the laws.
I think people hate cyclists because occasionally are slowed down in their car when a cyclist in in their way.
I don't get it. I could care less if cyclists run stop signs or even red lights. It's their ass THEY are risking, not mine.

And I have never understood the logic in not allowing bikes on sidewalks. It seems to me that the act of a pedestrian getting hit by a cyclist is no where near as bad as a cyclist getting hit by a car.

I'll ride on the sidewalk if the amount of space on the street doesn't feel "safe" to me. My definition. As for breaking laws, well, I'll ride on the wrong side of the street and run reds if I'm making a right hand turn ahead, or there's no traffic coming. I am guilty, I admit it.

I was wrong, I actually read it in the "Since you asked" column. The person only asked why laws aren't enforced on cyclists but his comments about an utter disregard for both the law and common sense sort of made he think he sounds like another biker hater.
If there are REALLY so many cyclists with out common sense I think they would Darwin themselves out.Smiling

uly 10, 2013

A recent Since You Asked confirmed that bicyclists are subject to the same traffic laws as motorists. Yet one cannot travel across town on any of Medford's major thoroughfares without witnessing numerous infractions made by bicyclists, evidencing an utter disregard for both the law and common sense.

Why are not the laws enforced against bicyclists as they are against motorists?

— Jim A., no location given

Hey Tia (and others),
Does the law prohibit riding bikes on ALL sidewalks? I seem to remember that one could ride on sidewalks if not in downtown congested areas. I do ride on sidewalks when I feel I'm not messin' with folks walking there. I'll continue doing it until they send me to the Joint, The Big House, The Slammer, or wherever they send really dangerous people.
I once saw a boy-child almost get hit riding on the sidewalk across an alleyway. He was traveling against traffic on a one way street. The driver didn't even think to look where the traffic wasn't coming from which seemed odd to me because the boy-child could have very well been a pedestrian on the sidewalk. Here in GP. they have icons and arrows painted on the street which direction you're supposed to ride. Does it help? Nobody seems to pay attention.
If I'm in town, I might ride on the sidewalk, if there are no pedestrians. If there are, we get off and walk our bikes.
Share the road, and the sidewalk! Smiling
(07-10-2013, 06:33 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Hey Tia (and others),
Does the law prohibit riding bikes on ALL sidewalks? I seem to remember that one could ride on sidewalks if not in downtown congested areas. I do ride on sidewalks when I feel I'm not messin' with folks walking there. I'll continue doing it until they send me to the Joint, The Big House, The Slammer, or wherever they send really dangerous people.

Wonky, in Medford, it's just an area from like 6th to 12th street, and Oakdale to the Bridge, or something. Other than that, it is LEGAL in Medford.
I'm not saying it's ok to be reckless, but considering that it is a matter of momentum and logistics, sometimes it's much harder for a cyclist to act exactly like a car. For instance, if a stop is at the bottom of a hill going up, it is MUCH harder for a cyclist to deal with that than a car. Same at any intersection. From a dead stop it takes longer for me to get across than the car. So, cars trying to turn are pissed at me for that.
(07-10-2013, 06:40 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Hey Tia (and others),

Wonky, in Medford, it's just an area from like 6th to 12th street, and Oakdale to the Bridge, or something. Other than that, it is LEGAL in Medford.

Well that's a damn shame.
Here I thought I was dangerous and interesting, being a big time law breaker and all.
Guess I'll have to go back to ripping the labels from mattresses.

Thanks, by the way.
Quote:Tia.... in Medford, it's just an area from like 6th to 12th street, and Oakdale to the Bridge, or something. Other than that, it is LEGAL in Medford.

I did not know that. Why do I keep passing bikes in the street when there's a perfectly good empty sidewalk right beside them?
(07-10-2013, 06:43 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Hey Tia (and others),

Here I thought I was dangerous and interesting, being a big time law breaker and all.

Thanks, by the way.

Well IMO you riding that Harley on the side walk SHOULD be illegal.
(07-10-2013, 06:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Tia.... in Medford, it's just an area from like 6th to 12th street, and Oakdale to the Bridge, or something. Other than that, it is LEGAL in Medford.

I did not know that. Why do I keep passing bikes in the street when there's a perfectly good empty sidewalk right beside them?

LaughingLaughingLaughing
(07-10-2013, 06:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 05:53 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'll ride on the sidewalk if the amount of space on the street doesn't feel "safe" to me. My definition. As for breaking laws, well, I'll ride on the wrong side of the street and run reds if I'm making a right hand turn ahead, or there's no traffic coming. I am guilty, I admit it.

Hey Tia (and others),

Thanks, by the way.

That's why I had to give it up. That, and cruising down eye five in the fast lane at a brisk 40 MPH. Hey, they told me speed kills and then get on my case for being too safe. Well sure, about 50 cars crashed trying to avoid me. That was their problem I think.
And I only rode it on city sidewalks a couple of times. The guy I hit was too stupid to move and deserved the four operations it took to get him back on his feet.
Now I have to pedal and I'm not a happy camper. Life is hard. Sad
Let's have a party with the woman who invented the wheel.
you need an electric bike, wonky.
(07-11-2013, 07:14 PM)bbqboy Wrote: you need an electric bike, wonky.

TELL me about it!
But first, I need an electric refrigerator. Sad
(07-11-2013, 04:30 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 06:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 06:33 PM)Wonky Wrote: Hey Tia (and others),

Thanks, by the way.

That's why I had to give it up. That, and cruising down eye five in the fast lane at a brisk 40 MPH. Hey, they told me speed kills and then get on my case for being too safe. Well sure, about 50 cars crashed trying to avoid me. That was their problem I think.
And I only rode it on city sidewalks a couple of times. The guy I hit was too stupid to move and deserved the four operations it took to get him back on his feet.
Now I have to pedal and I'm not a happy camper. Life is hard. Sad

I still say that the city is not cool for commuting. I rode to the Growers Mart today. I too the back road, but at a certain point you gotta get on the highway and deal with traffic that doesn't recognize you are there.
[Image: 944259_10151476104667245_1415077646_n.jpg]

I admit that this is pretty damn rude... but I still laughed.
Well, that driver's an ass.
It's not even legal for a truck to be burning that black, is it?
I think its a poor running pick-up/service rig with a diesel engine