Wow, that's bad.
Just in case anyone thought you just passed out and died:

Service Dog Left in Car for 2 Hours – Dies
Quote:CARRBORO - Carrboro police are investigating after a golden retriever being trained as a service dog was left in a car with its windows rolled up and later died.

Worthy, in training at Eyes Ears Nose and Paws (EENP), died of a heatstroke after program director Deb Cunningham left him in a car for two hours June 10.

The incident was reported to police June 11. If police find grounds for animal cruelty, Cunningham could be charged with misdemeanor, Lt. Chris Atack said. “In a case where you have any death, you have to review medical records and you have to be able to prove each element of the charge,” he said.

Cunningham left Worthy in her car because his foster mother, Charlene Hayes, was coming in for an appointment with Cunningham at noon.

One of the steps toward moving an assistance dog from a foster home to a potential client is to separate the dog from its “puppy parent,” said Mary Justice, EENP board chairwoman. Therefore, Cunningham did not want any interaction between Hayes and Worthy to occur inside the office.

It had rained that morning. After Cunningham met with Hayes at noon, she returned to her car and found Worthy panting and unconsciousness. According to Hayes, it was 77 degrees and sunny.

Maria Ikenberry, executive director of EENP, and Cunningham rushed Worthy to The Animal Hospital on Main Street in Carrboro, where Dr. DeWana Anderson administered fluids to lower Worthy’s temperature to 109 degree. According to medical records, his eyes were fixed and dilated. The normal body temperature for a dog is between 101 and 102.5 degrees.

That evening, Worthy went to Triangle Veterinary Referral Hospital in Durham, according to Justice and Hayes. There, Dr. Laura Russel and Dr. Jeffrey Nunez cared for Worthy. According to medical records, he was vomiting blood and had severe bloody diarrhea. Worthy died of cardiac arrest at 7:30 a.m. the next day.

http://www.chapelhillnews.com/2013/06/29...ating.html
(07-02-2013, 09:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Just in case anyone thought you just passed out and died:

Quote:CARRBORO - Carrboro police are investigating after a golden retriever being trained as a service dog was left in a car with its windows rolled up and later died.

Worthy, in training at Eyes Ears Nose and Paws (EENP), died of a heatstroke after program director Deb Cunningham left him in a car for two hours June 10.

The incident was reported to police June 11. If police find grounds for animal cruelty, Cunningham could be charged with misdemeanor, Lt. Chris Atack said. “In a case where you have any death, you have to review medical records and you have to be able to prove each element of the charge,” he said.

Cunningham left Worthy in her car because his foster mother, Charlene Hayes, was coming in for an appointment with Cunningham at noon.

One of the steps toward moving an assistance dog from a foster home to a potential client is to separate the dog from its “puppy parent,” said Mary Justice, EENP board chairwoman. Therefore, Cunningham did not want any interaction between Hayes and Worthy to occur inside the office.

It had rained that morning. After Cunningham met with Hayes at noon, she returned to her car and found Worthy panting and unconsciousness. According to Hayes, it was 77 degrees and sunny.

Maria Ikenberry, executive director of EENP, and Cunningham rushed Worthy to The Animal Hospital on Main Street in Carrboro, where Dr. DeWana Anderson administered fluids to lower Worthy’s temperature to 109 degree. According to medical records, his eyes were fixed and dilated. The normal body temperature for a dog is between 101 and 102.5 degrees.

That evening, Worthy went to Triangle Veterinary Referral Hospital in Durham, according to Justice and Hayes. There, Dr. Laura Russel and Dr. Jeffrey Nunez cared for Worthy. According to medical records, he was vomiting blood and had severe bloody diarrhea. Worthy died of cardiac arrest at 7:30 a.m. the next day.

So sad. That woman should have known better. If it were up to me... she would NEVER be allowed to be near animals EVER again... owning, training, pet sitting... NEVER AGAIN!
(07-03-2013, 08:59 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(07-02-2013, 09:58 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Just in case anyone thought you just passed out and died:

So sad. That woman should have known better. If it were up to me... she would NEVER be allowed to be near animals EVER again... owning, training, pet sitting... NEVER AGAIN!

May I double down on that please? I have nothing to add, because Scrappy said it well. I just want to add my voice hopping it will make folks think and be responsible for animals in their care.
If I'm away from my dog, which is rare. I think about her every few minutes. My windows are ALWAYS down when I leave the dog in the car. ALWAYS.
(07-03-2013, 01:29 PM)tvguy Wrote: If I'm away from my dog, which is rare. I think about her every few minutes. My windows are ALWAYS down when I leave the dog in the car. ALWAYS.

I'm the same way with my dog. Plus, if the day is even remotely warm I leave a cup of water in for him too.

That said, I knew a dog that died in a car. It wasn't really anybody you could point to's fault, either, unless you want to count children playing.
Watch it! Just do it!

(07-03-2013, 02:15 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Watch it! Just do it!

He should have worn a fur coat.
(07-03-2013, 02:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You are!
Impossible, I mean.
Absolutely and totally impossible.
But you are one of us and like your family, we have to talk to you. Razz
(07-03-2013, 03:30 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(07-03-2013, 02:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You are!
Impossible, I mean.
Absolutely and totally impossible.
But you are one of us and like your family, we have to talk to you. Razz

A fair and controlled experiment with accurate results would require this guy to insulate his body similar to a dog.
But then again he should also pant and slobber and not be allowed to sweat.
This story has been all over the service dog forums. A lot of 'red flags' popped up with this person's actions, as those 'in the know' with regards to legitimate service dog raisers/owners/trainers saw through all the muck.

No legitimate service dog raiser/owner/trainer ever leaves their charge in a car. For any reason. Ever.

A dog in training does not have to be kept away from their raiser when it is time to go to the person it will be working for. When trained/raised properly, the dog makes the transition smoothly and easily. There was no reason for the dog to be kept apart from the raiser, and even if this organization deems it necessary, the dog could have been kept in a kennel in another part of the building or left with another person during the 'appointment'.

The excuses for her actions being offered by the 'director' are laughable.

When one considers the estimated cost of $30,000 and up for a well-bred, well-trained service dog, those charged with their care should be a little more careful about how, where, and who the dogs are left with.

It has been so hot around here lately that we dont even take the guidepup out during the day, the sidewalks are too hot for her feet even with the booties. In fact, our weekly guidepup meeting was cancelled because the heat was too much for the pups to handle at the All Sports Park. We take the guidepup out to air-conditioned venues for training later in the evening when the temps have gone down.