Medford Police cite 20 for illegal fireworks
Every year there are SO many illegal fireworks. More than ever. Maybe they are on a Public Service Campaign.
The neighbors had illegal fireworks. We watched. But the "safe and sane" ones were the ones shooting zingers at the grandchild.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../307050360
Mail Tribune:
July 05, 2013

Medford police cited 20 people for possessing illegal fireworks in an effort to crackdown on things going boom in city limits over the holiday.

In all, the agency responded to 135 reports of illegal fireworks throughout town on Fourth of July night, Medford police Chief Tim George said.

"We probably could have cited more people, but it is difficult to witness a firework going off above town and then determine where it came from," George said. "Also, it was tough to determine who owned the illegal fireworks when we responded to some residences in which they were going off."

The department had three additional officers, four community officers and a fire marshal from Medford Fire-Rescue cruising the town in search of illegal fireworks, George said.

"Our officers said that this year the illegal firework activity was bit slower than previous years," George said. "We believe that's because we've gotten the word out that we are going to be citing for illegal fireworks. The education component seems to have worked."

The department has gone to the media and posted flyers in businesses warning that it would be ticketing for banned fireworks. In previous years the agency did not make it a priority to cite residents for illegal fireworks over the holiday. This year the tide shifted as fireworks complaints have increased in recent years.

"We think that the danger of these fireworks outweighs the benefits at this point," George said. "There's other ways to enjoy the holiday without taking the chance of injuring people are starting a fire."

Officers did respond to a home in the 700 block of Rocky Road just before midnight for a report of injuries sustained when a firework exploded in a crowd of people.

The 34-year-old suspect was lighting a banned mortar when it fell over and shot into a nearby group of people, which included two children. The mortar then set a duplex on fire, but the residents were able to extinguish it prior to the arrival of fire engines.

No serious injuries were reported, but the man was cited for illegal fireworks and recklessly endangering another.
Someone less than a block from me set off their first illegal one at about 1130pm...I shouted, "you know those are ILLEGAL, right?" No more boom booms and I didn't even have to dial a phone. Smiling

As for the ones 3-4 blocks away...thank goodness they were done by 2am.
Oh. Well, I don't go that far. I actually watch them.
I saw this posted on Facebook today:

http://www.koin.com/2013/07/05/portland-...icket-500/

Quote:Portland illegal fireworks ticket $500+

Hundreds of citations for illegal fireworks were written by Portland police and fire marshals Thursday night, and officials expect Friday night to be even busier.

There are several trailers filled with confiscated fireworks — including mortars and bottle rockets — from the patrols on the 4th of July.

In Portland, more than 200 tickets were written to those in possession of illegal fireworks, with fines ranging between $500-$1000 each.

“I think people realize their friends and family are getting tickets,” said PF&R’s Ron Rouse. “We are serious out there,” and added those ticketed will have to pay the fine.

The bomb squad will pick up the confiscated fireworks and blow them up at a remote location. There were a number of homemade devices also confiscated.

In Beaverton, police said they collected illegal fireworks but did not write any citations.
(07-05-2013, 07:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh. Well, I don't go that far. I actually watch them.

I don't mind them so much when they are done in an area that is not filled with trees/grass/houses. Take 'em to the lakes/rivers. Shooting them in a residential area is asking for trouble. I didn't want my house going up in flames.
New Years always seemed like a much more appropriate time for illegal fireworks, when everything is so wet it can't possibly burn.
Scrappers link also carried a link to a video about laser pointing aircraft which seems to be happening with alarming frequency.
[Image: 993321_595180540548022_1452265728_n.jpg]
(07-05-2013, 08:03 PM)broadzilla Wrote:
(07-05-2013, 07:03 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Oh. Well, I don't go that far. I actually watch them.

I don't mind them so much when they are done in an area that is not filled with trees/grass/houses. Take 'em to the lakes/rivers. Shooting them in a residential area is asking for trouble. I didn't want my house going up in flames.
(07-05-2013, 07:00 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Someone less than a block from me set off their first illegal one at about 1130pm...I shouted, "you know those are ILLEGAL, right?" No more boom booms and I didn't even have to dial a phone. Smiling

As for the ones 3-4 blocks away...thank goodness they were done by 2am.

LOL Good thing I'm not your neighbor. I would have responded with a couple of mortars lobbed your way. We had a great 4th. Lots of fireworks, a little champagne, and no police bothered us. We didn't have any of those roof fire starting bottle rockets. We had the big stuff. A step or two below the commercial grade stuff you see at the fireworks shows. Good stuff. Freedom baby!!! Big Grin
(07-09-2013, 09:42 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: Freedom baby!!! Big Grin

If only you extended this same idea to women, so they could decide for themselves when or if they're ready to bear and raise children.
I imagine SFlib was fond of sticking M80's up cat's asses as a kid. Or an adult.
(07-09-2013, 09:52 AM)PonderThis Wrote:

If only you extended this same idea to women, so they could decide for themselves when or if they're ready to bear and raise children.

What about the baby? Don't they deserve some consideration too?
It's not a baby until it's born, and in the meantime, real people who are already here are starving to death. We don't need any more.

In the meantime, enjoy your freedom. You don't want us controlling it now do you?
(07-09-2013, 01:56 PM)SFLiberal Wrote:

Sure. How do you feel about programs that help low income children?
(07-09-2013, 03:15 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

And what about programs that provide free or low cost prenatal care to low income mothers?
(07-09-2013, 03:36 PM)csrowan Wrote:

And what about programs that provide free or low cost prenatal care to low income mothers?

They don't deserve such things. But they deserve illegal fireworks. Freedom, Baby!
(07-09-2013, 01:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: It's not a baby until it's born, and in the meantime, real people who are already here are starving to death. We don't need any more.

In the meantime, enjoy your freedom. You don't want us controlling it now do you?

It's not a baby until it's born? I hope you jest.

[Image: jdjdj_zpsf5d21ccf.jpg]
(07-09-2013, 03:36 PM)csrowan Wrote:

....and what about infanticide? What do you feel about that?
Just remember Freedom baby!!! Big Grin
Think infanticide is wrong. I also think that a fetus is not an infant.

I would prefer that there was never a need for abortion. But I respect the right of a woman to make her own choice.

Now, how about you answer the questions we asked?