Rules: What's so hard to understand?
Since man came down from the trees and started forming groups, rules have been necessary.

We, the voices here, don't own this. We use this space at the pleasure of someone who took the time to "put it up", to maintain it without compensation, and who now is hassled for doing it because some are coloring outside the lines.

To piss and moan about rules here is akin to going to someone's home for dinner and complaining about the food.

As children we learn that our behavior must meet the social standards of those with whom we live and with those we interact with.

It appears we are still struggling with that concept.

Kind of childish, don't you think?
(07-06-2013, 09:08 AM)Wonky Wrote: Since man came down from the trees and started forming groups, rules have been necessary.

We, the voices here, don't own this. We use this space at the pleasure of someone who took the time to "put it up", to maintain it without compensation, and who now is hassled for doing it because some are coloring outside the lines.

To piss and moan about rules here is akin to going to someone's home for dinner and complaining about the food.

As children we learn that our behavior must meet the social standards of those with whom we live and with those we interact with.

It appears we are still struggling with that concept.

Kind of childish, don't you think?

Yes. Very.
Pissing and moaning from some people is why we have these rules now that we didn't have before.

So obviously NOW that we have these new rules its because someone came to this dinner and kept complaining about the food that has been served here for FOUR years and a couple of years before that in the MMT forum.
I liked that food.
I know of one poster who stated complaining on day one and was vowing to change the forum within his first few days of coming here about a year ago.
I think VS pointed to something that I have said before and many overlook. Like you.
The fact is that an internet forum with anonymous people is not like a social gathering because people here feel free to say things they would not say in person.

Does it get out of control? Sure but that's better then sitting at a dinner table where you get a warning if you for get to say please when you ask to pass the biscuitsRazz

Perhaps the owner would not be hassled had he never listened to the pissing and moaning from those who came to dinner in the first place. He spoke of 40 reports and a jerk. I have to wonder if all of those reports were necessary.

But yes rules are rules and if anyone doesn't like them they can ignore them and get booted or just walk away.
I'm with GCG, some people who are so intent on censorship have a right to force the forum to be a certain way.
I have a right to say that I don't agree with these people.

So shut yer pie hole and gimme those damn biscuits while I'm still here.LaughingLaughing
(07-06-2013, 09:39 AM)tvguy Wrote: Pissing and moaning from some people is why we have these rules now that we didn't have before.

So obviously NOW that we have these new rules its because someone came to this dinner and kept complaining about the food that has been served here for FOUR years and a couple of years before that in the MMT forum.
I liked that food.
I know of one poster who stated complaining on day one and was vowing to change the forum within his first few days of coming here about a year ago.
I think VS pointed to something that I have said before and many overlook. Like you.
The fact is that an internet forum with anonymous people is not like a social gathering because people here feel free to say things they would not say in person.

Does it get out of control? Sure but that's better then sitting at a dinner table where you get a warning if you for get to say please when you ask to pass the biscuitsRazz

Perhaps the owner would not be hassled had he never listened to the pissing and moaning from those who came to dinner in the first place. He spoke of 40 reports and a jerk. I have to wonder if all of those reports were necessary.

But yes rules are rules and if anyone doesn't like them they can ignore them and get booted or just walk away.
I'm with GCG, some people who are so intent on censorship have a right to force the forum to be a certain way.
I have a right to say that I don't agree with these people.

So shut yer pie hole and gimme those damn biscuits while I'm still here.LaughingLaughing

The ones that want the authoritarian rule the most are the ones that complain about being stifled by authority.
Quote:Sure but that's better then sitting at a dinner table where you get a warning if you for get to say please when you ask to pass the biscuits Razz
Forget is one word, idiot!
Smiling
What's so hard to understand about proper word usage and grammar????
Razz
Laughing
(07-06-2013, 09:47 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: The ones that want the authoritarian rule the most are the ones that complain about being stifled by authority.

I don't know, I've had the idea those who want no forum rules for themselves whatsoever seem to be the ones most in favor of laws regulating everyone else, and throwing the book at them too.
(07-06-2013, 09:53 AM)gapper Wrote:
Quote:Sure but that's better then sitting at a dinner table where you get a warning if you for get to say please when you ask to pass the biscuits Razz
SmilingRazz
Laughing

Re ported is all soLaughing
(07-06-2013, 09:54 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-06-2013, 09:53 AM)gapper Wrote:
SmilingRazz
Laughing

Re ported is all soLaughing

Re-re-ported!!!!!
Meanie!
Razz

Laughing
So can we at least agree that posting reportable content AND abusing the report feature are causing distress for Kam? Can we try to improve in both areas out of respect for Kam, if not our own self respect?

Most of us have been a member of a forum that closed due to issues similar to what we are experiencing here now. I for one would not like it to happen to this place.
I have plenty of self respect just as it is now. Smiling
(07-06-2013, 10:33 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I have plenty of self respect just as it is now. Smiling

And for Kam?
Of course. You don't see that I've been banned, and I've consistently campaigned against personal attacks.
(07-06-2013, 10:28 AM)Valuesize Wrote: So can we at least agree that posting reportable content AND abusing the report feature are causing distress for Kam? Can we try to improve in both areas out of respect for Kam, if not our own self respect?

Yes... PLEASE!
(07-06-2013, 10:28 AM)Valuesize Wrote: So can we at least agree that posting reportable content AND abusing the report feature are causing distress for Kam? Can we try to improve in both areas out of respect for Kam, if not our own self respect?

Most of us have been a member of a forum that closed due to issues similar to what we are experiencing here now. I for one would not like it to happen to this place.

If you are thinking about the Mail Tribune Forum I think it went down because the MMT didn't want to be associated with many of the opinions from some of the members.
They are a business. There isn't any business connected to this forum.

I think the "World" forum was shut down because of someone threatening legal action.
(07-06-2013, 10:56 AM)tvguy Wrote:

If you are thinking about the Mail Tribune Forum I think it went down because the MMT didn't want to be associated with many of the opinions from some of the members.

I think the "World" forum was shut down because of someone threatening legal action.

I think you're right. What was it that shut down GP?

I also would not like to see this place shut down.
(07-06-2013, 10:42 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Of course. You don't see that I've been banned, and I've consistently campaigned against personal attacks.

You have had warning levels that were not zero.You have made many posts that could be justifiably reported based on the rules. Definitely Some for personal attacks.
I wouldn't have been banned either had I not purposely made it happen.

Basically the fact that you haven't been banned doesn't prove you couldn't have been if enough people reported your violations.
(07-06-2013, 10:58 AM)tealeaf Wrote:

Assholes. A person can only take so much crap... and threats against them and their wife. It quit being fun... by a long shot!

Many of the regular posters there are still friends (in real life) to this day; which includes the owners.

The assholes may have won that one... but they couldn't take our friendships and love away from us.
(07-06-2013, 11:01 AM)tvguy Wrote: Basically the fact that you haven't been banned doesn't prove you couldn't have been if enough people reported your violations.

I've never been above 33%, probably at the same times you've been at 99%. Smiling
(07-06-2013, 11:04 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(07-06-2013, 10:58 AM)tealeaf Wrote:

Assholes. A person can only take so much crap... and threats against them and their wife. It quit being fun... by a long shot!

Many of the regular posters there are still friends (in real life) to this day; which includes the owners.

Threats are not only something a forum owner should ban someone but they are also illegal.
The only person that I have ever been threatened by was Gordon who was from the GP forum.
(07-06-2013, 11:04 AM)Scrapper Wrote: Assholes. A person can only take so much crap... and threats against them and their wife. It quit being fun... by a long shot!

The assholes may have won that one... but they couldn't take our friendships and love away from us.

Wasn't it Wildfire that sent threatening letters to the owners that was the final straw?