Does Oregon Have A State Sandwich?
This girl has an ongoing project, artistically photographing each state's signature sandwich.
She has not yet made Oregon's, and I admit I'm stumped.
We don't seem like a big sandwich state. Fish or fowl? Beef, Lamb?
Any ideas?
http://www.statelysandwiches.com/
Tofu wrap? Razz
2 bad things in one.
This is the Lounge. No politics. Get lost or get right.
from Sammich Ashland yesterday:
"The Dude got turkey to go!"
From the Men's Journal...
[Image: 618_348_tk-portland-sandwich-hed-here.jpg]
"The Big-Ass Sandwich," this behemoth is a smooth blend of roast beef, grilled onions, bacon, fries, and cheddar béchamel sauce, all served on a fresh sourdough ciabatta roll.
http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/ch...z2a4iCUD34
(07-25-2013, 09:21 AM)Scrapper Wrote: From the Men's Journal...
[Image: 618_348_tk-portland-sandwich-hed-here.jpg]
"The Big-Ass Sandwich," this behemoth is a smooth blend of roast beef, grilled onions, bacon, fries, and cheddar béchamel sauce, all served on a fresh sourdough ciabatta roll.
http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/ch...z2a4iCUD34

That's a contender. I was thinking along the lines of halibut or crab, but we don't seem to eat those on sandwiches.
SammichAshland makes a mean tuna that is real tuna poached. Don't know if our widely divergent state has one signature sandwich. We'll see.
Salmon burger.
Seems a waste to grind up Salmon.
Spotted owl burger?
A GOOD picks a grilled salmon with roasted vegetables, local greens, homemade aioli on a whole wheat toasted ciabatta bread as the representative sandwich of Oregon. Locally grown, and let us just say de-li-ci-ous.

http://www.good.is/posts/the-united-stat...ominations
you might be right, VS
Well, I guess the idea would be a sandwich that says "Oregon". But I've never found that the North West really has very signature food or know what that is. Lots of states have a regional food that it is famous for. You hear about New England Sea food, Southern grits and fried chicken, Southern and Midwestern bbq, Midwestern pork,The South West has TexMex, Wisconsin has cheese, Idaho has potatoes. Florida has Cuban, Louisianan has shrimp, Maryland has crab cakes, Maine has clam chowder, New York has Pizza, or Bagels, Pennsylvania has cheese steak, and so on. But for the North West, the only things that come to mind for me are berries and salmon. I love berries, not so much Salmon. By some standards, where we are located, geographically doesn't even constitute the "North West". We are no man's land. The Jeffersonian State persona non grata. Perhaps because we don't have a predominant group heritage belonging to one or two groups, like Italian or German. Plus, it's not like Oregon really is a rich potpourri of culinary delights. What defines food for the North West is the question and that usually somehow would become the signature sandwich. I guess Salmon. I wouldn't have it though. Or game. Wouldn't want that either.
I thought it was a bacon-cheese burger on a donut. Cool
(07-25-2013, 10:10 AM)Crazylace Wrote: I thought it was a bacon-cheese burger on a donut. Cool

I thought Luther VanDross invented that in Indianapolis.
For these purposes, consider hamburgers in a different category, since they are pretty much universal. IMO.
And Tia, Sammich puts blueberries and beets on their salmon sandwich. Not sure I'd go for that either.
I think it should be some kind of cocktail shrimp and cheese on a roll concoction.
bay shrimp and rogue blue cheese. Or tillamook cheddar. Good idea.
But Dungeness crab is awful good that way too.
(07-25-2013, 11:03 AM)PonderThis Wrote: But Dungeness crab is awful good that way too.

I agreed but I searched hard to find anyplace that puts it on a roll.
Bunches in Ca.
And bay shrimp is one of our more indigenous seafoods.