Being a woman
(07-26-2013, 01:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:25 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Ask her what's going on when you get cranky.

I don't get cranky or emotional and about the same time every month. Do you?

I never notice my own cycles, but I'd say yours are a little more often than that. Laughing
(07-26-2013, 01:25 PM)csrowan Wrote: You mean she's been brainwashed by our culture to believe that she gets cranky during PMS. Isn't the placebo effect wonderful?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pms+myth...e&ie=UTF-8

Hey , do you seriously think I'm going to click on another freaking link you GoogeledBlinkBlink
(07-26-2013, 01:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:16 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote: You're a guy. You tell me.

Don't count on that.

(sigh) Somehow, he must not be a "man". Ninja

He started a thread called what? "Being a woman"LaughingLaughingLaughing

Yes, for those men who are so wrapped up in their male privilege that is has never even occurred to them that women face a completely different world than we men.
(07-26-2013, 01:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:25 PM)csrowan Wrote: You mean she's been brainwashed by our culture to believe that she gets cranky during PMS. Isn't the placebo effect wonderful?

Hey , do you seriously think I'm going to click on another freaking link you GoogeledBlinkBlink

Why are you so insistent on preserving your ignorance?

Hey , do you seriously think I'm going to click on another freaking link you CHERRY PICKED!BlinkBlink

The internet is the information high alright but no one said it was all true.

OK I googled THIS... is PMS real.This was the FIRST hit I got .................
But doctors recognize PMS as a real medical condition, with real physical and psychological symptoms. For many women, the symptoms are debilitating enough to interfere with their lives.

And THIS..... What is PMS?

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) is a set of hormonal changes that trigger a wide range of physical and emotional symptoms in women

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness...al/pms.htm
(07-26-2013, 01:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Don't count on that.

I was joking.He makes his own bed on here. Of course he is a man. He just doesn't act like it sometimes when he worries more about what is or isn't an insult to women than women.

It's nice that some men are true gentlemen.
(07-26-2013, 01:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Hey , do you seriously think I'm going to click on another freaking link you CHERRY PICKED!BlinkBlink

But doctors recognize PMS as a real medical condition, with real physical and psychological symptoms. For many women, the symptoms are debilitating enough to interfere with their lives.

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) is a set of hormonal changes that trigger a wide range of physical and emotional symptoms in women

My cherry picked link was simply a google search for the words PMS and myth. The first page of results were links to stories about scientific studies.
(07-26-2013, 01:40 PM)csrowan Wrote:

I ask a REAL women instead of Goggling . You claim she is brainwashed. And you call me ignorant?
(07-26-2013, 01:44 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:

My cherry picked link was simply a google search for the words PMS and myth. The first page of results were links to stories about scientific studies.

So you purposely looked for some study to back up your own ignorant views.

Yeah that's what I said.
I claim that scientific studies about PMS that have been peer reviewed are of more value that asking a woman who has been exposed her entire life to the premise that women get emotional due to their cycle.
(07-26-2013, 01:44 PM)Scrapper Wrote:

Don't count on that.

I was joking.He makes his own bed on here. Of course he is a man. He just doesn't act like it sometimes when he worries more about what is or isn't an insult to women than women.

Naw, what's nice is when you can play the pile on game with someone you don't like. What's the matter Bunky RG not posting enough for ya?
(07-26-2013, 01:47 PM)csrowan Wrote: I claim that scientific studies about PMS that have been peer reviewed are of more value that asking a woman who has been exposed her entire life to the premise that women get emotional due to their cycle.

I don't see any other women agreeing with you... What's up with that. I bet Scrappy really wants to but there are limits to how far one goes when taking sides.Laughing
(07-26-2013, 01:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:40 PM)csrowan Wrote:

I ask a REAL women instead of Goggling . You claim she is brainwashed. And you call me ignorant?

One anecdotal report should trump whatever Google has to say?
(07-26-2013, 01:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:47 PM)csrowan Wrote: I claim that scientific studies about PMS that have been peer reviewed are of more value that asking a woman who has been exposed her entire life to the premise that women get emotional due to their cycle.

I don't see any other women agreeing with you... What's up with that. I bet Scrappy really wants to but there are limits to how far one goes when taking sides.Laughing

Some medical professionals and other people believe that PMS might be a socially constructed disorder rather than a physical illness.
sureRazzRazzRazz

Hoola hoop
Quote:The U of T team dug through 646 studies on PMS, some dating all the way back to 1806, finding that most of those studies were a mess.

Only 47 met their criteria of properly performed studies. And among the 47, many had different definitions of the menstrual phases and different ways of assessing moods. Even then, only seven found a link between negative mood and the premenstrual phase, while 18 found women were moody both before and during their period.

Another eight could find no evidence of negative mood at any time of the month, and four studies found women tended to be in more negative moods when they weren’t premenstrual.

“Taken together, these studies failed to provide clear evidence in support of the existence of a specific premenstrual negative mood syndrome in the general population,” the authors write in the journal Gender Medicine. “This puzzlingly widespread belief needs challenging, as it perpetuates negative concepts linking female reproduction with negative emotionality.”

The authors acknowledge there is a legitimate mood syndrome called premenstrual dysphoric disorder. PMDD is listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders -- the “psychiatric bible” – and has been shown to cause depression, insomnia and other behavioural and physical symptoms in the second half of the menstrual cycle.

But lead author Dr. Sarah Romans tells The Atlantic that the disorder is relatively rare, affecting as little as 1.5 per cent of the female population.
The rest of what we think of as “PMSing” might actually have nothing to do with menstrual periods at all. Instead, she and her team explain, it might come from long-held beliefs that a woman’s reproductive system controls much of her behaviour and mood.

Romans believes that PMS might simply be how society chooses to explain “unladylike” behaviours in women. The term allows us to attribute rage and crankiness to a temporary blip caused by body changes beyond a woman’s control.
She says PMS might be society’s way of excusing such behaviour by implicitly saying: “We'll let you be cranky and bad-tempered now, but just for one or two days. The rest of the time you've got to be like a true woman.”

Romans is seemingly unswayed by society’s belief that PMS plays as big a role in women’s mood: "The idea that any emotionality in women can be firstly attributed to their reproductive function,” she told The Atlantic. “We're skeptical about that.”
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/pms-moodine...z2aBj9rTUI

Quote:Sept. 10, 2001 -- You feel cranky, icky, just plain yucky -- so of course, it's PMS, right? Many women swear they suffer as their period approaches. Yet a new study shows that for many women, that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. They expect to feel bad, so they do.

"The more a woman believes in the phenomenon of menstrual distress, the more she exaggerates ... the negativity of her symptoms during her last period," writes María Luisa Marván, a psychology researcher at Universidad de las Americas-Puebla. Her study appears in the current issue of the journal Health Psychology.

In her study, Marván questioned 49 women -- all students at a private university in Puebla, Mexico, all white, and all from middle-to-upper class families.

None of the women knew this was a study about PMS, she says. They were "asked if they wanted to be part of a study of lifestyle factors and health," Marván writes.

She questioned each woman numerous times, on the days both before and after menstruation. Among the questions: Did they have cramps, swelling, headache, muscle stiffness, painful breasts, nausea? Did they feel irritable, depressed, anxious, distracted, have trouble concentrating?

Significant numbers of women reported such symptoms during their pre-period days. Yet when asked later about their premenstrual days, many reported much worse symptoms.

Other researchers have noted the impact of popular women's magazines in "bombarding women" with headlines, anecdotes, and studies implying that extreme mood swings are an inevitable part of our menstrual cycle, she writes.

"Many women have a misperception about the meaning of PMS," Marván writes. "Consequently, they amplify their premenstrual changes, reflecting women's cultural stereotypes rather than their actual experience."

Marván's study "confirms what a lot of literature has been showing -- that PMS exists in the minds of women, that it's not clearly an entity," says Alice Domar, PhD, director of the Mind/Body Center for Women's Health in Boston and author of Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself as Effectively as You Care for Everyone Else.

"The enormous strength of this study is that the women didn't know it was about PMS," Domar tells WebMD. "It shows that this is more of a psychological issue than we previously thought."

"If you're having a really bad day, feeling yucky and bloated on day 15, you're likely to attribute it to your boss, fight with the husband, bad grade at school," she says. "If you feel that way on day 16, you think it's PMS."

In reality, many women have slightly different premenstrual symptoms, says Domar. But true PMS "is much more severe and much rarer than women are led to believe. Only a minority of women report disabling, debilitating symptoms during PMS. I've certainly had patients come in say they've lost relationships because of PMS. They feel so physically ill that can't go to work."

Antidepressant medicines and relaxation techniques can work to combat the depression and anxiety of PMS, she tells WebMD. Although researchers aren't certain why, calcium supplements have also been shown as effective in reducing symptoms.

"There's a consistent impression among women that they feel physically and psychologically different premenstrually," she says. "Mild symptoms are pretty normal. If you find you have symptoms, certainly try some relaxation techniques. It's not going to hurt to add some calcium to your diet. And if symptoms are really severe, see your doctor and see if you're eligible for an antidepressant."
http://women.webmd.com/pms/news/20010910...ct-fiction

Quote:Does the menstrual cycle in women affect their moods? For most women, PMS or " Premenstrual Syndrome" is a time when they experience higher than normal periods of physical, psychological and emotional variations, which collectively contribute to what people call " Mood Swings".

In the 1970s, a vague cluster of physical and emotional symptoms associated with the days preceding menstruation, including fatigue, headache, irritability, and depression came to be thought of as an illness, and was given the label PMS.

The interesting question for psychologists is whether these physical changes are correlated with emotional or intellectual changes? Or if they are just myths fashioned by society.

The term PMDD which stands for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder is a medical condition which describes a chronic case of PMS, according to the psychiatric association.

In 1994 over the objections of many psychologists, the American psychiatric association included PMDD into the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, a reference manual for psychiatric diagnosis.

So what does the evidence actually show? During PMS women will experience certain physical symptoms, including cramps, breast tenderness, and water retention, and of course these physical symptoms can make some women feel grumpy or unhappy, just as pain can make men feel grumpy or unhappy. But emotional symptoms associated with menstruation - notably, irritability and depression are rare. In fact fewer than 5% of all women have such symptoms predictably over their cycles (source: Brooks-Gun Differentiating Premenstrual Symptoms and Syndromes. Psychosomatic medicine, 1986; Reid, R. L. 1991 Premenstrual syndrome. New England Journal of Medicine).

If the mood swings associated with PMS are so uncommon, then why do so many women think they have it? According to a Canadian psychology text; one of the reasons could be because women tend to notice the feelings of depression or irritability when these moods happen to occur premenstrually but overlook times when such moods are absent. Or may label symptoms that occur before a period as "PMS" and attribute the same symptoms at other times of the month to a stressful day or a low grade on an English paper. Cultural attitudes and myths about menstruation can also influence a woman's perceptions of her own emotional ups and downs.

Major findings from other psychological research and studies have concluded that:

No gender differences exists in mood.
No relation exists between stage of the menstrual cycle and emotional symptoms
No consistent "PMS" pattern exists across menstrual cycles.

These results are unknown to most people and have usually been ignored by doctors, therapists and the media. As a result, since the 1970s, premenstrual symptoms have come to be defined almost solely in medical and psychiatric terms.

So entrenched is the belief that most women suffer from PMS that those who publish reports questioning this belief are often accused of bias reporting.

Alex is an editor for the theillustrator magazine. An opinionated news publication that focus on controversial issues and topics.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Alex_Mwendwa
http://EzineArticles.com/758493
(07-26-2013, 01:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 12:39 PM)csrowan Wrote: But why? Is it because men are idiots for stereotyping women and accepting those stereotpes, or are women so inferior to men that even the slightest implication that a man is in some way feminine is a justifiably major insult?

Good grief Rowan. If you can't see that women are not built the same and are not as physically as strong as men them I give up.
But it's a fact they are not. So telling a guy he trows like a girl is an insult to the guy and it should not be to a girl.
Unless they can't face or accept that they are normally physically weaker.

Good Grief, TV where does he say that? About throwing? Nowhere. And why do you choose that example of the many that could come to mind that wouldn't be quite as benign? And then you go and prove Rowan's own point by asking me am I sure he is a guy? I realize you could have meant, we don't really know if Rowan is male or female having only met him online, but I don't really believe that's what you meant.
Anyway, my view on this 'argument' is that I actually do think that women get hormonal and that it causes mood swings. I don't disagree with that or feel slighted (too much) if men say it about a cranky woman. But when you use it on a guy, as TV did with Rowan, then it starts to be the sexist thing.
(07-26-2013, 01:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:44 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 01:14 PM)tvguy Wrote: Don't count on that.

Naw, what's nice is when you can play the pile on game with someone you don't like. What's the matter Bunky RG not posting enough for ya?

No. It is nice that there are still true gentlemen left. I am married to one. I believe that CSRowan has shown himself to be one as well.
Why, thank you, m'lady. Big Grin