Local Media and "The Fires"
I thought about making a poll.

Too much like True and False, giving results without content.

I'm curious how we forum members might rate the local news coverage. I think it's been dismal, that a lot more graphics could have been used to define the specifics of the fire boundaries, and they could have reported more information from the fire lines. (as told by the people on the line and reported to the supervisors).

This is OUR front page story. I feel it should have been leading the days news, occupying most of the content, and put the other stories on the back pages.

That said, I wonder too about the resources our local news outfits have. Maybe this is the real problem?
What news? I don't (can't) read the local papers, don't watch TV, and the radio stations have no local news, only a rebroadcast of the TV news recorded at 5:00am.
You would need to define "local media" for me to comment.
I get a lot of stuff that originates in what I consider "local" media off the internet, and have found it to be very good.
Wonky's old school and is talking about newspapers and TV, I believe, but I'll agree with you, Gapper.
(08-10-2013, 10:37 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Wonky's old school and is talking about newspapers and TV, I believe, but I'll agree with you, Gapper.

OK, got it.
As usual, it's weak, very weak as far as the Courier and local radio goes, IMHO.

The Courier has done a better job than the local radio stations. I miss the KAJO of old, when they really did local news well and kept us informed.
It's now more a bully pulpit for Wilson's political views than a local news source.

I rarely look at a TV for anything, so can't really say.

I read the Medford Mail Tribune on line and find it more complete with better links and information than the Courier, in terms of these fires, but even at that, it's limited compared to some other internet sources I've been using.

Here's some good pictures I ran across just this morning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99762942@N0...423347213/
I was frustrated at the coverage at first. It seemed to me like there weren't enough clear precise descriptions of the fires locations.
Basically a map of southern Or. that shows the locations.
But now I don't care about the fires. There's nothing I can do about them or about the smoke.
By the way Wonky today's MMT has the fires as headlines.

Quote:BBQ..Wonky's old school and is talking about newspapers and TV,

So what? Just because we have access to the internet we ignore the TV or newspapers?
(08-10-2013, 10:43 AM)tvguy Wrote: I was frustrated at the coverage at first. It seemed to me like there weren't enough clear precise descriptions of the fires locations.
But now I don't care about the fires. There's nothing I can do about them or about the smoke.

So what? Just because we have access to the internet we ignore the TV or newspapers?

So he gave me the explanation I was seeking in terms of Wonky's question.
Gaawwddd, do we have to fight about that too????
WTF??
TV is "likes to fight guy". Doesn't bother me. If the TV and radio and newspapers actually had reporters on the scene it would be good.
I've been getting better information from the ODF sites I believe you posted a few days ago.
http://wildfireoregondeptofforestry.blogspot.com/
http://oregonsmoke.blogspot.com/
(08-10-2013, 10:51 AM)bbqboy Wrote: TV is "likes to fight guy". Doesn't bother me. If the TV and radio and newspapers actually had reporters on the scene it would be good.
I've been getting better information from the ODF sites I believe you posted a few days ago.
http://wildfireoregondeptofforestry.blogspot.com/
http://oregonsmoke.blogspot.com/

Yes, these are good.
This is a good one as well.
https://www.facebook.com/RogueWeatherNow...ion=stream
(08-10-2013, 10:44 AM)gapper Wrote:
(08-10-2013, 10:43 AM)tvguy Wrote: I was frustrated at the coverage at first. It seemed to me like there weren't enough clear precise descriptions of the fires locations.

WTF??

I don't see any fight nor am I starting one in any way so I'll just Gaawwddd you right back mr. short fuse.

I only meant that television and newspapers are not "IN MY OPINION not so old school"
(08-10-2013, 10:59 AM)tvguy Wrote:

WTF??

I don't see any fight nor am I starting one in any way so I'll just Gaawwddd you right back mr. short fuse.

I only meant that television and newspapers are not "IN MY OPINION not so old school"

OK. I see the "so what?" question, rather than just stating your opinion, as being an aggressive response to a benign question, Mr. Aggressive conversationalist. Razz
I seldom watch TV News.
I don't bother with LOCAL radio.
I do subscribe to newspapers.

And therein lies the problem. We have really great access to information on The Net. But, we don't get a lot of daily local stuff. These local fires are a pretty good example of what can be done locally when a big story breaks. However, the local information seems for the most part to be outside sites giving us some local coverage. Good, but they "don't have a dog in the fight".

I would have thought this would have been a boon for the Mail Tribune, and if done right (in MHO) they could have sold lots of papers. But, I'm not Bob Hunter, running the thing, and he is dealing with stuff I don't have a clue about. And TV could have drawn me in if they really got on top of this.

Back to an earlier question. Maybe these outfits don't have the resources any longer, what with the lack of advertising and loss of revenue in general.

Times, they are a changing. (Becoming trite beyond belief. But, so am I. Embarrassed )
(08-10-2013, 11:08 AM)gapper Wrote:
(08-10-2013, 10:59 AM)tvguy Wrote:

WTF??

OK. I see the "so what?" question, rather than just stating your opinion, as being an aggressive response to a benign question, Mr. Aggressive conversationalist. Razz

Well I tried to say "so because we have access to the internet we ignore the TV or newspapers?"

I didn't realize adding the word "what" meant I wanted to fight.
(08-10-2013, 11:17 AM)Wonky Wrote: I seldom watch TV News.

And therein lies the problem. We have really great access to information on The Net. But, we don't get a lot of daily local stuff. These local fires are a pretty good example of what can be done locally when a big story breaks. However, the local information seems for the most part to be outside sites giving us some local coverage. Good, but they "don't have a dog in the fight".

I would have thought this would have been a boon for the Mail Tribune, and if done right (in MHO) they could have sold lots of papers. But, I'm not Bob Hunter, running the thing, and he is dealing with stuff I don't have a clue about. And TV could have drawn me in if they really got on top of this.

Back to an earlier question. Maybe these outfits don't have the resources any longer, what with the lack of advertising and loss of revenue in general.

Times, they are a changing. (Becoming trite beyond belief. But, so am I. Embarrassed )

I remember recently commenting to my wife that you would think the MMT or local TV could say something about White cities Memorial day parade. Maybe even send someone out with a camera.
we also have ryan's weather page-
http://www.ryanweather.com/
(08-10-2013, 11:23 AM)tvguy Wrote:

I remember recently commenting to my wife that you would think the MMT or local TV could say something about White cities Memorial day parade. Maybe even send someone out with a camera.

I don't know squat about the newspaper business but as a reader I have an opinion about this:

I think (feel?) this is exactly the problem! Now, more than ever, we have options, really good ones, for news outside our valley. I want the MT to be my hometown newspaper. I don't care if they ever (or never) do national and international news. I like that they cover high school sports well, and it would be fine with me if they did not cover major sports. I'd like to see better coverage of local politics, as an example.

But back to the start: I don't know how the newspaper (or TV) business works.

Does anyone think we might get a better paper (and TV) if we made more noise about what we want?
Possible answer

Graphics and pictures are more informative to some than words.

Just heard tonight...that the Rogue River was closed to all boat traffic. I asked where did you hear that, the radio said that the fire had close it down.

Maybe a graphic of what is closed or restricted on the Rogue would have been helpful?
(08-10-2013, 02:08 PM)Wonky Wrote:

I don't know squat about the newspaper business but as a reader I have an opinion about this:

I think (feel?) this is exactly the problem! Now, more than ever, we have options, really good ones, for news outside our valley. I want the MT to be my hometown newspaper. I don't care if they ever (or never) do national and international news. I like that they cover high school sports well, and it would be fine with me if they did not cover major sports. I'd like to see better coverage of local politics, as an example.

Does anyone think we might get a better paper (and TV) if we made more noise about what we want?
no. Newspapers (and periodicals) are a dying business model. Over the air broadcasters aren't doing so hot either. Their profit comes from ad revenue, not subscriptions, for the most part.
(08-10-2013, 02:08 PM)Wonky Wrote:

I responded with an email to a Mark Freeman with the MMT. He took my suggestion, changed what he had been saying and thanked me.

Often the email address is posted with the article. So I say heck yeah making a little noise can and does help.

I also emailed Bill Varble one time regarding something he said in a column and got an immediate response.
I actually do know him having worked for him but he didn't know it was me.
Often the email address is posted with the article. So I say heck yeah making a little noise can and does help. What's there to lose?
I get my best local news information here.