I made my MIL made at me
Last night I was talking with my MIL, she was asking about how the new job was going and I was telling her great but it taking some adjustment in the household. You know my husband and kids were use to having me home so the house was always picked up and yes the kids helped and my husband helped but me taking care of the house was my job. But as much as he was out of town I never wanted my husband to do a whole bunch as the kids got older. Well when I got my job husband and I talked about how things were going to change, I was working full time so he was going to need to help out at home now more and this first work he did a good job. I hate the way he does laundry but I have to learn to be less picky and teach him not everything can be washed in hot water and to make sure he separates every thing. But this is a learning process for both of us right. And he has been helping out with dinner we have been fixing stuff together when I get in.

Well I was telling his mom about it. She told me I guess you will have to learn how to make casseroles and use a crock pot. And I said why, your son doesn't like that kind of stuff and really I don't want that kind of stuff all the time also. She then informed me that it wasn't fair that her son had to help after having to work all day. I asked her what I was doing. And she said it is different for women. I told her this is 2013, I am not his mother, I am his wife, he can help. Well she got upset at me with that statement.
Tell MIL to come over and do the laundry. If she wants her son coddled then maybe she should do the coddling. My mom is always telling my wife to quit letting me get away with not doing stuff. I might have to cut off communication between them.

On a related note.. the other day I told my wife that we needed to have a talk. It went like this:

Me: I have something important to tell you. You better sit down.
Her: <looking worried> ok
Me: We've been married a long time and this is something that has been bothering me lately... and I just can't get past it.
Her: What ever is is, we will get through it together
Me: I don't know. Its pretty bad.
Her: Just tell me already
Me: Well, it's like this.. You are an awesome wife, I really love you soooo much but I think you should know.... my sock drawer is in disarray. You are usually pretty good about it but you've been slipping. Do you think you could step it up and fix that?
Her: You asshole.
Me: Laughing
Tell your MIL, that you do all the cleaning and cooking, Sometimes a white lie will make people happy.
When we both worked full time jobs we got an excellent housekeeper. She came in once a week while we were at work... cleaned, did laundry, changed bedding, left us a yummy dinner (usually something in the oven or on the stove... like a casserole, stew or soup) and she always left a vase of wildflowers on the dinner table. I loved her! We both knew that she was worth every penny!
modern family. I can never tell whether you're joking or not, GCG. I suspect not. Can you boil water?
(08-11-2013, 08:18 AM)bbqboy Wrote: modern family. I can never tell whether you're joking or not, GCG. I suspect not. Can you boil water?

Of course I'm joking. My wife actually DID sort out my sock drawer about a month ago. I was pretty surprised. So I managed to mess it all up again and decided to have some fun with her. I know not everyone gets my sense of humor... but she does. Suffice it to say that my sock drawer is going to be messy for the foreseeable future. That's the price I pay to amuse myself.
At least she doesn't tie your underwear in knots.
Some things are just better not discussed with in laws.
(08-11-2013, 06:08 AM)GoCometsGo Wrote: Tell MIL to come over and do the laundry. If she wants her son coddled then maybe she should do the coddling. My mom is always telling my wife to quit letting me get away with not doing stuff. I might have to cut off communication between them.

On a related note.. the other day I told my wife that we needed to have a talk. It went like this:

Me: I have something important to tell you. You better sit down.
Her: <looking worried> ok
Me: We've been married a long time and this is something that has been bothering me lately... and I just can't get past it.
Her: What ever is is, we will get through it together
Me: I don't know. Its pretty bad.
Her: Just tell me already
Me: Well, it's like this.. You are an awesome wife, I really love you soooo much but I think you should know.... my sock drawer is in disarray. You are usually pretty good about it but you've been slipping. Do you think you could step it up and fix that?
Her: You asshole.
Me: Laughing

I love it!!!!Laughing
(08-11-2013, 08:27 AM)bbqboy Wrote: At least she doesn't tie your underwear in knots.

She would have if I had been serious.
List of chores, delegate and leave the MIL out of it. That would be my easiest solution.
My wife is a dynamo with incredible energy and skills. We are sort of old school. I don't cook or do laundry. She does AND works full time. She doesn't want me in the kitchen or doing laundry.Big Grin
(08-11-2013, 12:48 PM)tvguy Wrote: My wife is a dynamo with incredible energy and skills. We are sort of old school. I don't cook or do laundry. She does AND works full time. She doesn't want me in the kitchen or doing laundry.Big Grin

There is one thing worse than a wife who can cook, but won't.
That is a wife who can't and does.
(08-11-2013, 04:39 AM)blondemom Wrote: Last night I was talking with my MIL, she was asking about how the new job was going and I was telling her great but it taking some adjustment in the household. You know my husband and kids were use to having me home so the house was always picked up and yes the kids helped and my husband helped but me taking care of the house was my job. But as much as he was out of town I never wanted my husband to do a whole bunch as the kids got older. Well when I got my job husband and I talked about how things were going to change, I was working full time so he was going to need to help out at home now more and this first work he did a good job. I hate the way he does laundry but I have to learn to be less picky and teach him not everything can be washed in hot water and to make sure he separates every thing. But this is a learning process for both of us right. And he has been helping out with dinner we have been fixing stuff together when I get in.

Well I was telling his mom about it. She told me I guess you will have to learn how to make casseroles and use a crock pot. And I said why, your son doesn't like that kind of stuff and really I don't want that kind of stuff all the time also. She then informed me that it wasn't fair that her son had to help after having to work all day. I asked her what I was doing. And she said it is different for women. I told her this is 2013, I am not his mother, I am his wife, he can help. Well she got upset at me with that statement.

Well, what are you going to do? You are right. She will have to get over it. Sucks for you. That's just negative, unsupportive BS you don't need. And makes it clear what is ok to share with her in the future also.
My MIL has 4 sons.....no daughters. In her eyes, they can do no wrong.
My FIL was the man of the house.
When I got a new car, she referred to it as my husband's new car. Didn't matter that he had his own truck that he drove. Didn't matter that I picked it out and bought it and drove it, it was still "his" car.
After awhile, I learned to edit what I said to her, and not get my feelings hurt.
Your MIL will get over it. Your husband will learn to do laundry. Families have to adapt to change.
Good luck with your new job!
http://www.theonion.com/articles/mom-spe.../?ref=auto
[Image: ?ref=auto]
NAGS HEAD, NC—Continuously doing laundry, cooking, or vacuuming in her family’s rented beach cottage this week, area mom Catherine Yardley has spent a much-needed vacation performing all her usual household chores while in closer proximity to the ocean, sources confirmed. “Isn’t it nice to just get away for a while and relax by the water?” Yardley said as she wiped down the kitchen counter and then took out the garbage, tasks she would normally perform at a distance of 200 miles from the beach instead of 50 feet. “I just love that I can be scrubbing the bathroom, look out the window, and see the tide coming in. We should do this every year!” At press time, Yardley was reportedly busy preparing a meal identical to what she would have made back home, except that she planned to serve it on paper plates.
The one thing about my wife's family is, she has better in-laws than i do.