Gresham bakery that refused to bake same-sex wedding cake closes shop
(09-07-2013, 09:33 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 09:29 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 09:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 08:55 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 08:04 AM)cletus1 Wrote: You assume way too much. I lived in New Jersey for years. You also like to switch up your argument pushing the issue you started with aside and going in a new direction. You were the one that said Jews don't go into Arab bakeries, insinuating they knew better, which is a complete fabrication on your part. Now you are started talking about neighborhoods segregated by ethnicity which we all know exist.

Prospector me and my Pakistani friend went into Jewish delis when we were in New York all the time and Jews, Hispanics and whites were regular customers at Haqdad's Pakistani Restaurant. So you are basically full of shit.

Oh, again, you miss the statement and argument. I stated I have not only lived in those neighborhoods where you find that Jewish or Arabs don't frequent each others establishments BUT I have lived in those countries too. THEY AVOID PATRONAGE BECAUSE OF COMMON SENSE! Some remember old feelings and avoid patronage.

DOES THAT MAKE IT CLEARER FOR THE "SHIT" YOU ARE THROWING? Seems like to want to start a COMMUNITY RULES VIOLATION vs keeping a civil discussion.

It goes back to CHOICE, there are some who avoid by CHOICE of CONVICTION OR FEELINGS!

Just because you or you have friends that frequent different ethic places doesn't mean EVERYONE DOES or THAT IT'S A PERFECT WORLD.

Dream on!
You were the one that said you doubted that I lived on the east coast. Anyway, now I see that you have your argument slightly to a "doesn't mean everyone does position." You seemed to suggest that people of different ethnicity don't mix much and that was the norm. I suggested that that is not necessarily true given my own experience working off the examples of bakeries that you used.

You are no more an expert than I am and the fact that you lived in some Muslim counties give your claims no more weight than anyone else. I lived in Muslim countries myself and plenty of people here know that.

Quote:Now why don't you list all the countries you lived in or visited and I'll do the same. The person that lived in the most countries will be the winner OK ? Laughing

But whatever you do don't turn me in to the authorities for getting a little testy. I am in an emotionally fragile state of mind right now and don't think I could handle a time out. Smiling

what would that prove? I retired from DSS and before that the military, so I doubt you match my number

increase your meds if the stress is bothering you!LaughingSurprised
So you are not up to the challenge are you. Just tell me how many countries you lived in then.

Go ahead, be my guest. List city, country, and dates.
If you want to be detail give neighborhood or street

I'll wait.LaughingLaughingLaughing
(09-07-2013, 09:37 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 08:55 AM)Prospector Wrote: Oh, again, you miss the statement and argument. I stated I have not only lived in those neighborhoods where you find that Jewish or Arabs don't frequent each others establishments BUT I have lived in those countries too. THEY AVOID PATRONAGE BECAUSE OF COMMON SENSE! Some remember old feelings and avoid patronage.

DOES THAT MAKE IT CLEARER FOR THE "SHIT" YOU ARE THROWING? Seems like to want to start a COMMUNITY RULES VIOLATION vs keeping a civil discussion.

It goes back to CHOICE, there are some who avoid by CHOICE of CONVICTION OR FEELINGS!

Just because you or you have friends that frequent different ethic places doesn't mean EVERYONE DOES or THAT IT'S A PERFECT WORLD.

Dream on!
You were the one that said you doubted that I lived on the east coast. Anyway, now I see that you have your argument slightly to a "doesn't mean everyone does position." You seemed to suggest that people of different ethnicity don't mix much and that was the norm. I suggested that that is not necessarily true given my own experience working off the examples of bakeries that you used.

You are no more an expert than I am and the fact that you lived in some Muslim counties give your claims no more weight than anyone else. I lived in Muslim countries myself and plenty of people here know that.

Quote:Now why don't you list all the countries you lived in or visited and I'll do the same. The person that lived in the most countries will be the winner OK ? Laughing

But whatever you do don't turn me in to the authorities for getting a little testy. I am in an emotionally fragile state of mind right now and don't think I could handle a time out. Smiling

what would that prove? I retired from DSS and before that the military, so I doubt you match my number

So you are not up to the challenge are you. Just tell me how many countries you lived in then.

Why not add age. If you lived in Turkey when you were 2 years old should that count? Big Grin
(09-07-2013, 09:41 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 09:37 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 09:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote: You were the one that said you doubted that I lived on the east coast. Anyway, now I see that you have your argument slightly to a "doesn't mean everyone does position." You seemed to suggest that people of different ethnicity don't mix much and that was the norm. I suggested that that is not necessarily true given my own experience working off the examples of bakeries that you used.

Why not add age. If you lived in Turkey when you were 2 years old should that count? Big Grin

No, I lived in West Germany from 55-59
(09-07-2013, 05:02 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-06-2013, 07:29 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-06-2013, 04:11 PM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-06-2013, 03:47 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-06-2013, 03:33 PM)Prospector Wrote: What it barrels down to, which seems to be the norm these days, was two people saw an opportunity to sue, probably got a pro bono attorney, and make money.

You don't see Jewish patrons walking into Arab bakeries because of common sense.

These two were looking to make a point, probably scouted the bakery before hand, and knew the outcome too!

Really? I'm not of Mexican descent but I go to Mexican restaurants quite often. I'm not French but there is a yummy little French bakery we love. Chinese? Nope! But we eat at Chinese restaurants a lot! And... I'm not Jewish but have eaten at Kornblatt's in Portland a few times... best Kosher Corned Beef sandwich and Matzo Ball soup I've ever had! None of them have ever refused to serve me.

You live in Oregon. Try going back east where there are neighborhoods that divided by cultures.

But for example if you were refused service because the owner didn't serve people who had tattoos, what would you do? Go somewhere else or cause a ruckus and sue?

Personally, I go somewhere else, drop a bad review on Angie's List and spread the word.

My point by using my example, (which I doubt you are neither Jewish or Arab by your pics and dress style) is you sometimes avoid places based on experience or culture.

I have lived in both cultures, they avoid trouble by not testing it. I avoid places that don't rate well, get poor reviews, or just give me a bad feeling.

It's called choice. I believe in it. I have the choice to serve you or not, you have the choice to patronize my business or not.

If you and yours are rowdy in a restaurant, I have the right to complain to management and they have the right to ask you to refrain or leave.

It's again called choice.
Tell us where you lived in the Northeast and where you found Jews, Arabs, Hispanics or whites self segregating by their restaurant choices. I lived there so I am so looking forward to hearing about your experience. Racism is not cool Prospector; don't create it where it does not already exist mmkay? Think soup Nazi.

Ever been to New Jersey or New York? I think you haven't? How about Boston? There are sectional neighborhoods in Chicago and Detroit? Ever heard of Harlem?

You might have come from there but you really didn't live the experience there!

Need it closer? How about LA, like eastside.

What about jail or prison?If You want to see clear defined separation and racism. Well there's that and then there's West by God VirginieLaughing
(09-07-2013, 08:55 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 08:04 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 05:02 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-06-2013, 07:29 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Tell us where you lived in the Northeast and where you found Jews, Arabs, Hispanics or whites self segregating by their restaurant choices. I lived there so I am so looking forward to hearing about your experience. Racism is not cool Prospector; don't create it where it does not already exist mmkay? Think soup Nazi.

Ever been to New Jersey or New York? I think you haven't? How about Boston? There are sectional neighborhoods in Chicago and Detroit? Ever heard of Harlem?

You might have come from there but you really didn't live the experience there!

Need it closer? How about LA, like eastside.
You assume way too much. I lived in New Jersey for years. You also like to switch up your argument pushing the issue you started with aside and going in a new direction. You were the one that said Jews don't go into Arab bakeries, insinuating they knew better, which is a complete fabrication on your part. Now you are started talking about neighborhoods segregated by ethnicity which we all know exist.

Prospector me and my Pakistani friend went into Jewish delis when we were in New York all the time and Jews, Hispanics and whites were regular customers at Haqdad's Pakistani Restaurant. So you are basically full of shit.

Oh, again, you miss the statement and argument. I stated I have not only lived in those neighborhoods where you find that Jewish or Arabs don't frequent each others establishments BUT I have lived in those countries too. THEY AVOID PATRONAGE BECAUSE OF COMMON SENSE! Some remember old feelings and avoid patronage.

Dream on!
You were the one that said you doubted that I lived on the east coast. Anyway, now I see that you have altered your argument slightly to a "doesn't mean everyone does position." You seemed to suggest that people of different ethnicity don't mix much and that was the norm. I suggested that that is not necessarily true given my own experience working off the examples of bakeries that you used.

Now why don't you list all the countries you lived in or visited and I'll do the same. The person that lived in the most countries will be the winner OK ? Laughing

LaughingLaughingLaughing
Another hateful lezbian.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Sweet-Cak...l?mobile=y
Nice to see they're keeping the pressure on this hateful bakery.
State labor investigators have determined a Gresham bakery violated the civil rights of a same-sex couple when it refused to make a cake for the women's wedding.

The Bureau of Labor and Industries said Friday that it has wrapped up its investigation into Sweet Cakes by Melissa. Spokesman Charlie Burr said investigators found substantial evidence the bakery unlawfully discriminated against the couple based on their sexual orientation.

Oregon law bans discrimination against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in jobs and in places that serve the public, such as restaurants and bakeries.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index..._cake.html
Discrimination should be expensive. I am glad that it was for this bakery. If your religion guides you into intolerance, you have to consider how far you are willing to take it. Hating gay people might work for you in the Bible Belt, but in Oregon most of us won't like it.