Western Black Rhino officially extinct.
(09-04-2013, 06:37 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 04:09 PM)csrowan Wrote: And here I thought poachers were hunted what they poached, but hunters who didn't poach weren't poachers.

I read this sentence 5 times and still am saying: "Wait, what?"

Typo. It should have read: "...poachers hunted what they poached..." or "...poachers were hunters who hunted what they poached..."

It got mixed up during the proofreading and editing process.
(09-04-2013, 06:35 PM)tvguy Wrote: You wanted to bring legal hunters into this subject when it has nothing whatsoever to do with the demise of the black Rhino.

http://worldwildlife.org/species/black-rhino

[Image: Black_Rhino_8.6.2012_Hero_and_Circle_HI_...1345543661]

"European hunters are responsible for the early decline of black rhino populations. It was not uncommon for five or six rhinos to be killed in a day for food or simply for amusement. European settlers that arrived in Africa in the early 20th century to colonize and establish farms and plantations continued this senseless slaughter. Most people regarded rhinos as vermin and exterminated them at all costs..."
Well I certainly wouldn't want them running wild in these parts.
Probably like the wild pigs they have in Texas.
You'd have to call Ted to thin the herds.
(09-04-2013, 07:09 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 06:35 PM)tvguy Wrote: You wanted to bring legal hunters into this subject when it has nothing whatsoever to do with the demise of the black Rhino.

http://worldwildlife.org/species/black-rhino

[Image: Black_Rhino_8.6.2012_Hero_and_Circle_HI_...1345543661]

"European hunters are responsible for the early decline of black rhino populations. It was not uncommon for five or six rhinos to be killed in a day for food or simply for amusement. European settlers that arrived in Africa in the early 20th century to colonize and establish farms and plantations continued this senseless slaughter. Most people regarded rhinos as vermin and exterminated them at all costs..."

Nice try, why don't you go back to when cave men hunted Mastodons? Hunters nearly wiped out our Bison also.
But you know as well as I do was that doesn't have a freaking thing to do with the Western Black Rhino.
The article even mentioned that they were brought back to a population of 20,000 after unregulating hunting in the late 19th century.

But go ahead numbnuts and keep trying to blame hunting when the real problem is exactly what the article says and what I said.
Supply and demand and criminals.
(09-04-2013, 09:07 PM)chuck white Wrote: Well I certainly wouldn't want them running wild in these parts.

Texas? We now have them in 47 states including Oregon.
The common thought and nomenclature of true hunters is that poachers aren't hunters. While one that likes to pick nits can certainly make his case in terms of the formal definitions we tend to mold our language amongst different institutions or groupings. Just as salmon snaggers are not seen or refereed to as "fishing", poachers are not seen as "hunting", by those involved in the activity of hunting or fishing. And, in many instances poachers rely on baiting or spot lighting at night, rather than a true hunt, which involves actually getting out and spotting and often times stalking one's prey.

You can pick all the nits you want, but call a poacher a hunter amongst a bunch of hunters, and you will be seen, at best, as the neophyte you are.
(09-04-2013, 09:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 09:07 PM)chuck white Wrote: Well I certainly wouldn't want them running wild in these parts.

Texas? We now have them in 47 states including Oregon.

Quote:While the term “Aporkalypse” may inspire a laugh, Texas officials say the problem of feral pigs has reached critical mass.

“Two-thirds of the feral hog population has to be killed just to maintain their numbers.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013...-epidemic/
(09-04-2013, 09:35 PM)gapper Wrote: The common thought and nomenclature of true hunters is that poachers aren't hunters. While one that likes to pick nits can certainly make his case in terms of the formal definitions we tend to mold our language amongst different institutions or groupings. Just as salmon snaggers are not seen or refereed to as "fishing", poachers are not seen as "hunting", by those involved in the activity of hunting or fishing. And, in many instances poachers rely on baiting or spot lighting at night, rather than a true hunt, which involves actually getting out and spotting and often times stalking one's prey.

You can pick all the nits you want, but call a poacher a hunter amongst a bunch of hunters, and you will be seen, at best, as the neophyte you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
(09-04-2013, 09:51 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 09:35 PM)gapper Wrote: The common thought and nomenclature of true hunters is that poachers aren't hunters. While one that likes to pick nits can certainly make his case in terms of the formal definitions we tend to mold our language amongst different institutions or groupings. Just as salmon snaggers are not seen or refereed to as "fishing", poachers are not seen as "hunting", by those involved in the activity of hunting or fishing. And, in many instances poachers rely on baiting or spot lighting at night, rather than a true hunt, which involves actually getting out and spotting and often times stalking one's prey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

There ya be, lad! Cool

Or get punched in the face. Hunters hate poachers. That's something a couple of people here just don't understand. Along with one hell of a lot of other things.
I get that there is a distinction between a non-poaching hunter and a poaching hunter. I get that non-poaching hunters hate poachers. I get that, in standard nomenclature, both types of hunters are distinguished by calling them "hunters" and "poachers". I get that, in hunting circles, there is a mistaken belief that hunting only applies to what the True Hunters™ do.

But to say that "poachers are not hunters" is like saying "cheaters are not card players" or "lurkers are not forum members".

It quite literally is the "No True Scotsman fallacy".

"No hunter would kill illegally!", the hunters say. Then they find out that a hunter killed illegally. "Well, no true hunter would kill illegally!", they say.
(09-04-2013, 10:04 PM)csrowan Wrote: I get that there is a distinction between a non-poaching hunter and a poaching hunter. I get that non-poaching hunters hate poachers. I get that, in standard nomenclature, both types of hunters are distinguished by calling them "hunters" and "poachers". I get that, in hunting circles, there is a mistaken belief that hunting only applies to what the True Hunters™ do.

But to say that "poachers are not hunters" is like saying "cheaters are not card players" or "lurkers are not forum members".

"No hunter would kill illegally!", the hunters say. Then they find out that a hunter killed illegally. "Well, no true hunter would kill illegally!", they say.

You think too much and you aren't equipped for it. This bullshit is quintessential pure bonafied par for the course CS ROWAN.
As someone who never even graduated high school yourself you're a hell of a one to be telling someone else they're not equipped for thinking. Ninja
(09-05-2013, 12:36 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-04-2013, 10:04 PM)csrowan Wrote: I get that there is a distinction between a non-poaching hunter and a poaching hunter. I get that non-poaching hunters hate poachers. I get that, in standard nomenclature, both types of hunters are distinguished by calling them "hunters" and "poachers". I get that, in hunting circles, there is a mistaken belief that hunting only applies to what the True Hunters™ do.

You think too much and you aren't equipped for it. This bullshit is quintessential pure bonafied par for the course CS ROWAN.

Your contributions to this topic have been tantamount to saying "nuh-uh!" over and over whenever you haven't been throwing insults.

The simple fact is that poachers are, by definition, hunters who hunt illegally.
(09-05-2013, 04:19 AM)csrowan Wrote:

Your contributions to this topic have been tantamount to saying "nuh-uh!" over and over whenever you haven't been throwing insults.

The simple fact is that poachers are, by definition, hunters who hunt illegally.

That is a fact. You've established that repeatedly. Pat yourself on the back.
Thumbs Up
BTW, just as poachers are technically hunters, anal "gotta be right" people are over bearing and come off as trolls in their incessant quest to "be right". Having little to no self esteem must really suck.

Again, you're right. As if that changes one fricking thing in the world that matters.
Cool
And here I thought defending yourself when someone says you're talking bullshit was something normal human beings did.
(09-05-2013, 08:21 AM)gapper Wrote: "gotta be right" people are over bearing and come off as trolls in their incessant quest to "be right". Having little to no self esteem must really suck.

Good luck in your quest for self esteem then. Smiling
(09-05-2013, 01:30 AM)PonderThis Wrote: As someone who never even graduated high school yourself you're a hell of a one to be telling someone else they're not equipped for thinking. Ninja

They teach people to think In school? It comes naturally to some of us.Give it a rest Bozo WTF did people learn in the 12th grade anyway? I only needed two freaking credits, I'm sure I missed a lotLaughing
(09-05-2013, 04:19 AM)csrowan Wrote:

As much as you run your mouth with out actually saying anything or just repeating your self There's nothing really to say in response.
And yet another informationless response from TV, without even a pretense of making a rational argument.