Two Questions for Conservatives
1) Do you believe the government should be able to force you to give your kidney to another person who would otherwise die? If so, why? If not, why not?

2) Do you believe the government should be allowed to decide what to do with your organs after you die? If so, why? If not, why not?

I'll explain my point after I've heard from a few of you. Liberals can feel free to answer the questions, too, but I'm very interested in what the conservatives have to say.
Not more than a month ago a very confused woman who lives in GP told me that she did not see a problem with "harvesting" organs from people sentenced to die whether they were organ donors or not. Twitch

I asked her if she really did not see a conflict in the fact that the government that handed out the death sentence was also the government that was mandating organ harvesting. She did not.
I didn't want to be the first liberal to respond, but both options seem like overreaching governmental authority to me. Even though I am a registered organ donor.
Clete: She probably also doesn't see the conflict in the fact that the government gets paid to send people to private prisons.
(09-15-2013, 02:50 PM)csrowan Wrote: Clete: She probably also doesn't see the conflict in the fact that the the government gets paid to send people to private prisons.
I would bet on it.

You know I'm not sure I would want a kidney from a rapist or child molester put in me. I am sure some Christians would not want a kidney from an Muslim terrorist either. You can't be to careful when you are talking about organ implantation. Unsure

Laughing
I presume you mean can't. Smiling
(09-15-2013, 02:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I presume you mean can't. Smiling

Yep. fixed it. Just added a lol too. Can't expect everyone to get sarcasm you know.
(09-15-2013, 02:50 PM)csrowan Wrote: Clete: She probably also doesn't see the conflict in the fact that the government gets paid to send people to private prisons.
Just to make sure I know your thinking on this, please elaborate. I'll be back later.
(09-15-2013, 02:26 PM)csrowan Wrote: 1) Do you believe the government should be able to force you to give your kidney to another person who would otherwise die? If so, why? If not, why not?

Presuming I'm dead or dying??? I guess it should be fine. I mean, they are going to take 1/2 my wealth... might as well take 1/2 my kidneys, too.

Seriously, I don't trust the government to try very hard to keep me alive if they need my organ for some unworthy POS, (aka democrat).

2) Do you believe the government should be allowed to decide what to do with your organs after you die? If so, why? If not, why not?

I don't much care what happens to my organs but if others don't want to be donors then they should have that choice. I certainly do NOT want the government in charge of organ management. I can see it now. Millions or billions of dollars will be spent to harvest and store these things and 90% of them will get mishandled and wasted.

I'll explain my point after I've heard from a few of you. Liberals can feel free to answer the questions, too, but I'm very interested in what the conservatives have to say.
(09-15-2013, 02:26 PM)csrowan Wrote: 1) Do you believe the government should be able to force you to give your kidney to another person who would otherwise die? If so, why? If not, why not?

What, did you find an organ you want for your addadicktome, and the only problem is it's attached to someone living?

You make about as much sense as a soup sandwich.
(09-15-2013, 03:33 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 02:50 PM)csrowan Wrote: Clete: She probably also doesn't see the conflict in the fact that the government gets paid to send people to private prisons.
Just to make sure I know your thinking on this, please elaborate. I'll be back later.

Well, government mandating of organ harvesting of condemned criminals who are condemned by that same government definitely sounds shady. It's going to cost money to harvest the organs, too. Someone has to pay that cost. That means the government is at the very least breaking even, and possibly making money. And if not the government, then someone will be. And as long as there's money to be had, someone will lobby for harsher sentencing laws, meaning more death sentences, more transplants, and more money for everyone involved in the process (aside from the condemned of course).

Now when a private jail submits a bid to the government and it is accepted, the government agrees to pay the private jail for taking over the administration of the inmates. The private jails make more money the more inmates they take in. In fact, they often have clauses that so many beds have to be filled and stay filled. They also make money off of the prisoners themselves, through cheap labor and probably other means. They also lobby for things that would put more people in prison and keep more people in prison... things they directly make money from. All of this contributes to the excessive incarceration that the US is so famous for, and they get to reap the profits. (I realize I didn't specify before, but it's the private jails who have the conflict.)

Anyway, that's a bit off topic, but there's my answer. If you want to discuss it further, with more people, feel free to make a new thread.
(09-15-2013, 04:32 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

What, did you find an organ you want for your addadicktome, and the only problem is it's attached to someone living?

Nope. I want to know your opinion on whether the government should be able to do these things to people without their consent.

I don't know what I'd do with two, anyway. The one I have is more than sufficient for every woman I've been with.
Not without compensation.
I could sell that kidney on Craig's list and get real money for it.

Morticians have been selling body parts for a long time and making money.
I told my wife to part me out and sell to the highest bidder.
I'd hate to see the government taking that asset away from her.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nati...6176_x.htm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/10/18/...ody-parts/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-...body-parts
Come on chuck, Fox News?
(09-15-2013, 04:38 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 04:32 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Nope. I want to know your opinion on whether the government should be able to do these things to people without their consent.

I don't know what I'd do with two, anyway. The one I have is more than sufficient for every woman I've been with.

Why conservatives? Did google tell you something we don't have access to? Or do you think conservatives are the ones who own, invest in, and run private prisons?
The dialogue on prisons had nothing to do with the reason I asked these questions. If I explain why I want the answers it could influence how you answer. So rather than tell you at the beginning why I'm asking these questions, I'll explain why after I get some answers from several forum conservatives.

If you'll note, I did not use any politically charged language. I did not suggest you would answer one way or the other, or that there was a right way to answer, or even a conservative way to answer.

If you are willing to answer the questions, please do. I'm especially interested in the why or why not aspect. You see, I'm not even asking for a simple yes or no, I'm asking for an explanation of what you feel and why.

If you are unwilling to answer the questions, you don't have to. You're free to not post in this thread again. Or keep posting, if you like. But I'm not going into detail until I get more information from some of the conservatives here.
(09-15-2013, 05:15 PM)csrowan Wrote: But I'm not going into detail until I get more information from some of the conservatives here.

Well hell... there's just the two of us.
Plus Larry, Scar, Prospector, Broadzilla, Tealeaf, arguably TV...
Sure seems like there's more.

Though when I'm trying to have a decent discussion with a conservative, it often feels like there's only one or two willing to help out.

I've appreciated your demeanor and restraint in my time here on the forum. I like having conversations with you, GCG. Even if we don't see eye to eye on some things.
TV tends to be more Libertarian in his views, in my opinion. Or liberal libertarian, if you prefer. But since we each get to make our own labels to describe ourselves, if he wants to call himself a liberal, that's fine by me.