Two Questions for Conservatives
(09-15-2013, 04:32 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 02:26 PM)csrowan Wrote: 1) Do you believe the government should be able to force you to give your kidney to another person who would otherwise die? If so, why? If not, why not?

2) Do you believe the government should be allowed to decide what to do with your organs after you die? If so, why? If not, why not?

I'll explain my point after I've heard from a few of you. Liberals can feel free to answer the questions, too, but I'm very interested in what the conservatives have to say.

What, did you find an organ you want for your addadicktome, and the only problem is it's attached to someone living?

You make about as much sense as a soup sandwich.
If the soup is Progresso, it makes sense.
(09-15-2013, 05:26 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Plus Larry, Scar, Prospector, Broadzilla, Tealeaf, arguably TV...

Say what? LOL!

Ask Cletus...I am not a conservative. I'm a moderate to the core.
Is that a liberal in S. Dakota? Laughing
(09-15-2013, 05:55 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Is that a liberal in S. Dakota? Laughing

Ha! Most definitely! LaughingLaughing
(09-15-2013, 05:26 PM)csrowan Wrote: Sure seems like there's more.

Though when I'm trying to have a decent discussion with a conservative, it often feels like there's only one or two willing to help out.

I've appreciated your demeanor and restraint in my time here on the forum. I like having conversations with you, GCG. Even if we don't see eye to eye on some things.

Yeah... there's more. And I am barely around anymore... and I pretty well avoid the political stuff. But this topic interests me somewhat so we shall see which direction it goes. Hopefully not south.
(09-15-2013, 05:55 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Is that a liberal in S. Dakota? Laughing

No she really is a moderate. She votes for politicians that support the things that help her and most other Americans. The R or D in front of a candidates names is not what sways her.
(09-15-2013, 02:26 PM)csrowan Wrote: 1) Do you believe the government should be able to force you to give your kidney to another person who would otherwise die? If so, why? If not, why not?

2) Do you believe the government should be allowed to decide what to do with your organs after you die? If so, why? If not, why not?

I'll explain my point after I've heard from a few of you. Liberals can feel free to answer the questions, too, but I'm very interested in what the conservatives have to say.

1) No . That is simply not the function of the government . The bait about abortion imo is the same . The gov't shouldn't pay for it . Though keep it legal . My rights end where your nose begins .

2) No. same reason
(09-15-2013, 06:10 PM)broadzilla Wrote:

Hey BZ, which presidential candidate did you vote for in the 2012 election? Big Grin

Open question, without knowing what MY circumstance is. So, since it is so vague, I will answer it in the way I first read it. Based on the question, I am a healthy member of society, and the database of all medical records has determined that I am a match for a kidney that someone else needs to survive. I find it acceptable for the "government" to make a REQUEST of me. Force me? Unacceptable.

I chose to be an organ donor at 16 years old, when I first got my drivers license. it was my CHOICE. I can understand individual reasons why some would not choose that. So, no, the government should not be allowed to disregard the wishes of the individual.

What did I win?
[Image: prizes_ncmsf.jpg]
My respect, for answering the questions honestly and thoroughly. Thank you.

Some time tomorrow I will follow up on this thread with a long winded post, which you may or may not be interested in reading.
(09-15-2013, 09:44 PM)csrowan Wrote: My respect, for answering the questions honestly and thoroughly. Thank you.

Some time tomorrow I will follow up on this thread with a long winded post, which you may or may not be interested in reading.

Eh, you lost my interest, by doing and saying nothing, when you could have. This response by you was a waste of time that could have been spent actually responding. Meh.
(09-15-2013, 10:06 PM)Larry Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 09:44 PM)csrowan Wrote: My respect, for answering the questions honestly and thoroughly. Thank you.

Eh, you lost my interest, by doing and saying nothing, when you could have. This response by you was a waste of time that could have been spent actually responding. Meh.

It's Bush's fault.
(09-15-2013, 10:06 PM)Larry Wrote:

I'm still hoping for more people to answer before I explain what my purpose was.

Sorry I lost your interest, but my intent is and has been to gather information first, then create a response based on that information. I'd like to gather a little more before I continue.

No. This is not the governments job. The current system of allocation of organs is good. Not perfect, but good. Also, no one should be forced. It is a personal choice.

Again no. This is not the governments business. This is also a personal choice of each individual. I would hope that each individual would choose to do so by indicating on their driver's license.

You may or may not know this but I received a kidney transplant almost two years ago (10/16/11) but I would never force anyone to give me one.

Also, I don't consider myself a conservative in the way the liberals consider what a conservative is. I am more of a Liberpublicat. In that order.

I wasn't going to answer this as I see where you are going with this but I will let you have your fun.
Thanks. Smiling

On a side note: I'm glad you're well.

On another side note: I think we could save more lives by making some change to the donor registry without infringing on anyone's right. Currently, when applying for a driver's license, one can register as an organ donor. It is an opt-in process, meaning that you have to check the box saying "yes, I want to be an organ donor". What if we were to make it an opt-out process, so that if you did not want to be an organ donor, you had to check the box that says "no, I do not want to be an organ donor"? Of course, you'd have to have a license with "organ donor" on it (or some other paperwork with the same thing) for your organs to be used. But research shows that opt-out programs do better than opt-in programs.
What a great pick up line in a bar.
(09-15-2013, 08:03 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(09-15-2013, 06:10 PM)broadzilla Wrote:

Hey BZ, which presidential candidate did you vote for in the 2012 election? Big Grin

The one who won...duh. Smiling
My question, why wouldn't someone be an organ donor? You're dead, you're not using them any longer.

In response to the question

1) no

2) the gov shouldn't have the ability to harvest without permission from the deceased.