13 Wounded in Chicago Shooting
(09-21-2013, 03:58 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Meanwhile, 11,078 firearm-related homicide deaths a year in the U.S. Where are all the brave citizens preventing these tragedies with their guns? Or is 11,078 only the ones that "got away"?

It never fails. A thread comes up where criminals shoot a bunch of people and out comes these fucking firearm-related statistics and the dipshits that think the simple answer is to ban guns
(09-21-2013, 04:00 PM)Larry Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 03:52 PM)csrowan Wrote: Pretend you live with someone who gets violent and likes to grab knives and attack you.

Would you not bother to lock up the knives, even though they aren't the problem?

Sure, get them treatment to be less violent, or find ways to help them deal with their violence, but don't leave the knives out in the open.

????? Relevance? Have you SEEN my gun SAFE?

Relevance? It's an analogy. Sure people in ghettos being raised with violence all around them is a bad thing, but just because guns "aren't the problem" doesn't mean that better gun control couldn't help keep the body count down while we try to fix the social problems.
(09-21-2013, 04:03 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 04:00 PM)Larry Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 03:52 PM)csrowan Wrote: Pretend you live with someone who gets violent and likes to grab knives and attack you.

Would you not bother to lock up the knives, even though they aren't the problem?

Sure, get them treatment to be less violent, or find ways to help them deal with their violence, but don't leave the knives out in the open.

????? Relevance? Have you SEEN my gun SAFE?

Relevance? It's an analogy. Sure people in ghettos being raised with violence all around them is a bad thing, but just because guns "aren't the problem" doesn't mean that better gun control couldn't help keep the body count down while we try to fix the social problems.

I suppose it would have made sense, when Cain killed Abel, to ban all rocks.
Why must you assume that "locking up knives" is akin to "banning all guns"?

Gathering up all knives and melting them down, forbidding the sale or purchase of new knives, that's not what I'm suggesting any sane person do in those circumstances. Just making sure it's very difficult for the violent person to get a knife and only making it a little more difficult for people with the key to the drawer.
(09-21-2013, 04:14 PM)csrowan Wrote: Why must you assume that "locking up knives" is akin to "banning all guns"?

Gathering up all knives and melting them down, forbidding the sale or purchase of new knives, that's not what I'm suggesting any sane person do in those circumstances. Just making sure it's very difficult for the violent person to get a knife and only making it a little more difficult for people with the key to the drawer.

Again, why do you assume that the majority of my guns aren't locked up?
(09-21-2013, 04:14 PM)csrowan Wrote: Why must you assume that "locking up knives" is akin to "banning all guns"?

A "little" more difficult? So in your opinion making it a A "little" more difficult would have prevented this gang of vermin to obtain a gun?

Didn't Chicago already make it 'A "little" more difficult'?
(09-21-2013, 04:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

A "little" more difficult? So in your opinion making it a A "little" more difficult would have prevented this gang of vermin to obtain a gun?

He is ignoring this FACT.
(09-21-2013, 04:15 PM)Larry Wrote: Again, why do you assume that the majority of my guns aren't locked up?

What you do with your own guns is meaningless in the overall story and use of guns. You are only one of 80 million.
BTW on another thread I mentioned that assault rifle are a tiny fraction of all gun deaths.
And I was asked why it's not OK to try and reduce this tiny fraction.
I said because every time an assault rife shooting comes up then someone invariable trots out ALL gun death statistics.

Just like ponder just did.
(09-21-2013, 04:20 PM)tvguy Wrote: BTW on another thread I mentioned that assault rifle are a tiny fraction of all gun deaths.
And I was asked why it's not OK to try and reduce this tiny fraction.
I said because every time an assault rife shooting comes up then someone invariable trots out ALL gun death statistics.

Just like ponder just did.

All Ponder was doing was responding to Larry who was saying "But look, guns do all these good things too, look at all the mass shootings they prevented?" And Ponder pointed out, 11,000 people die from guns murders every year in this country alone, where are the proud gun owners preventing those crimes if they're so totally useful and helpful to a well running society?

I still haven't heard all this great usefulness they're doing for us, other than you get to kill squirrels with them. BFD, aren't you brave and tough.
(09-21-2013, 04:18 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 04:15 PM)Larry Wrote: Again, why do you assume that the majority of my guns aren't locked up?

What you do with your own guns is meaningless in the overall story and use of guns. You are only one of 80 million.

It's not meaningless at all unless all you want to hear about are criminals, nutcases or just plain old idiots with guns. And you do.

Yes he is one of 80 million. So am I. And we are not meaningless just like the other 7999998 people aren't meaningless.

My comment had nothing to do with this shooting. My comment had to do with Larry saying that guns weren't the problem, people raised in ghettos are the problem.

That is what I was addressing.
(09-21-2013, 04:46 PM)csrowan Wrote:

My comment had nothing to do with this shooting. My comment had to do with Larry saying that guns weren't the problem, people raised in ghettos are the problem.

LMFAO Yet MY comment, the one you are addressing, was ON TOPIC......

You crack me up.
And here I thought you said: "Perhaps the issue isn't "banning guns" in the first place? The problem is the violence and lack of humanity being bred and raised in these ghettos. Just a thought."
(09-21-2013, 05:26 PM)csrowan Wrote: And here I thought you said: "Perhaps the issue isn't "banning guns" in the first place? The problem is the violence and lack of humanity being bred and raised in these ghettos. Just a thought."

With regards to Chicago and the TOPIC.

Seriously?
You said perhaps the issue isn't banning guns, then suggested its due to the violent nature of the people there.

I made an analogy about violent people with access to weapons, and how it makes sense to make it harder for them to get their hands on the weapons while you try to make them less violent.

Seriously.
(09-21-2013, 04:46 PM)csrowan Wrote:

Mine did.
(09-21-2013, 05:51 PM)csrowan Wrote: You said perhaps the issue isn't banning guns, then suggested its due to the violent nature of the people there.

I made an analogy about violent people with access to weapons, and how it makes sense to make it harder for them to get their hands on the weapons while you try to make them less violent.

Seriously.

How much harder can you make it, than the current LAWS in Chicago?

There were no LEGAL guns involved. Do you understand yet?
And what part of having restrictive laws in a city doesn't do diddly when people can just head to another jurisdiction to get guns do you not understand?
[Image: cargun_zpsfc52403c.jpg]