13 Wounded in Chicago Shooting
(09-21-2013, 08:02 PM)Larry Wrote: Your HuffPo piece? Bunk.
Quote:Their conclusion is off base. States like New Hampshire and Vermont get poor ratings from the Brady Campaign for their lax gun laws and yet their violent crime rate in nearly as low as Hawaii which is the lowest. If their conclusion were correct – that lax gun laws lead to high rates of gun violence – then these two states should not be at the bottom of the list for violent crime.

Then there is California. They have the strictest gun laws in the US and yet their violent crime rate is higher than the national average. If their conclusion were correct, California would be at the bottom of the violent crime list but they are not.

The source of gun violence is not as simple as the absence of gun control laws.

Quote:They are also including suicides in thier study. That is an issue no gun control will address. No gun, no problem, there are pplenty of other methods for commiting suicides. As a matter of fact suicide by firearms is not the most common method until you get to the stats for those 55 or older.

Quote:I missed that. Including suicides makes their conclusion completely useless.

OK then. I will melt all my guns down tomorrow. You win. Laughing

You claimed that less gun restriction equalled less gun crime as a fact.

Even with two states with low gun control and low gun crime, that doesn't prove your statement to be true.

Even if some of the numbers are off due to suicides, which I'm not so sure of... The article specified gun violence, not gun deaths, there is still substantial evidence to doubt that less gun restriction equals less crime.

I'm not claiming the opposite. I'm just claiming that you are wrong.
(09-21-2013, 07:26 PM)Larry Wrote: Side note:

As I have stated before, I open carry every weekend, wherever I go. I went to Eagle Point Wal Mart today to pick up the ingredients for my chili, and ran into a co-worker, her husband and her mother. We talked briefly. I just asked her if she/they noticed my sidearm. They did not.

My point being, this forum is NOT indicative of the common response to open carry. Those of you who are appalled by it are very much a minority.

What is troublesome is the latest charge by police called "alarming the public!"

It seems that soon "open carry" or even just walking down a road with a rifle will lead to this charge.

I just wonder because when I hike I either take a survival shotgun or rifle and sometimes have to walk on public roads. If a citizen becomes "alarmed" and dials 911, in some States I could be arrested and charged.

Interesting!
(09-21-2013, 08:18 PM)Prospector Wrote:
(09-21-2013, 07:26 PM)Larry Wrote: Side note:

As I have stated before, I open carry every weekend, wherever I go. I went to Eagle Point Wal Mart today to pick up the ingredients for my chili, and ran into a co-worker, her husband and her mother. We talked briefly. I just asked her if she/they noticed my sidearm. They did not.

My point being, this forum is NOT indicative of the common response to open carry. Those of you who are appalled by it are very much a minority.

What is troublesome is the latest charge by police called "alarming the public!"

It seems that soon "open carry" or even just walking down a road with a rifle will lead to this charge.

I just wonder because when I hike I either take a survival shotgun or rifle and sometimes have to walk on public roads. If a citizen becomes "alarmed" and dials 911, in some States I could be arrested and charged.

Interesting!

If such a charge were to happen, do not hesitate to escalate to the Supreme Court.

The Constitution trumps bullshit.
I'm so glad I spent the time to read this... NOT! Blink Men. Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
(09-21-2013, 07:26 PM)Larry Wrote: As I have stated before, I open carry every weekend, wherever I go. I went to Eagle Point Wal Mart today to pick up the ingredients for my chili, and ran into a co-worker, her husband and her mother. We talked briefly. I just asked her if she/they noticed my sidearm. They did not.

I can imagine how that conversation might have gone. "Did you see me carrying my gun? Well did ya? Did ya?" Maybe a little drool coming out at the same time.
"I carry my gun all the time. Just because I can. Did ya see me doin' it? Huh, huh?"