Who were the moderators that left?
Kgasso mentioned that moderators have left because they were publicly outed and threatened, both here and on social media. Since I don't do social media, and I was never aware of who any of the moderators are/were. I kind of liked Fatty Weasel, and don't think I ever heard even pseudonyms for any of the other. Were any of them someone we would all know from the forum?

If it's a sin to say publicly maybe someone can pm me on this. In return, maybe I can tell you something juicy too. Smiling
I don't care who their names are. I just wonder about who was allegedly outed and threatened them and if they are gone too?
I say alleged because I have seen over and over where people claim they were threatened and it was a matter of interpretation.

Ever notice that people who use their real name don't stay around long?
(10-03-2013, 10:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Kgasso mentioned that moderators have left because they were publicly outed and threatened, both here and on social media. Since I don't do social media, and I was never aware of who any of the moderators are/were. I kind of liked Fatty Weasel, and don't think I ever heard even pseudonyms for any of the other. Were any of them someone we would all know from the forum?

If it's a sin to say publicly maybe someone can pm me on this. In return, maybe I can tell you something juicy too. Smiling

What do you mean who were they? They were moderator 1, moderator 2 and Fatty Weasel. Do want to know their real names. Zipped
(10-03-2013, 10:26 AM)tvguy Wrote: I don't care who their names are. I just wonder about who was allegedly outed and threatened them and if they are gone too?
I say alleged because I have seen over and over where people claim they were threatened and it was a matter of interpretation.

Really?
(10-03-2013, 10:27 AM)csrowan Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 10:26 AM)tvguy Wrote: I don't care who their names are. I just wonder about who was allegedly outed and threatened them and if they are gone too?

Really?

Yes Rowan really. Did it ever occur to you that there is a reason very few people use their real name?
Did it ever occur to you that I was pointing out that your absolute statement could have used a conditional modifier?
(10-03-2013, 10:27 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 10:22 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Kgasso mentioned that moderators have left because they were publicly outed and threatened, both here and on social media. Since I don't do social media, and I was never aware of who any of the moderators are/were. I kind of liked Fatty Weasel, and don't think I ever heard even pseudonyms for any of the other. Were any of them someone we would all know from the forum?

What do you mean who were they? They were moderator 1, moderator 2 and Fatty Weasel. Do want to know their real names. Zipped

No, I'd settle for forum names.
(10-03-2013, 10:32 AM)csrowan Wrote: Did it ever occur to you that I was pointing out that your absolute statement could have used a conditional modifier?

Play games OR Say what you mean and mean what you say.
If I said everything I meant, you'd have your nose buried in a dictionary for the next year trying to figure out what I was saying.
(10-03-2013, 10:37 AM)csrowan Wrote: If I said everything I meant, you'd have your nose buried in a dictionary for the next year trying to figure out what I was saying.

Maybe so. If I cared about what you say and if you tried to out word Navalsun.

You know what you can do with your conditional modifier don't youLaughing
I'm wondering about the copyright infringement. What is the proper procedure for posting articles and/or pictures? I hope I'm doing it correctly. I've been doing it the same way since the mtf with what seemed to be no issues.
(10-03-2013, 10:42 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: I'm wondering about the copyright infringement. What is the proper procedure for posting articles and/or pictures? I hope I'm doing it correctly. I've been doing it the same way since the mtf with what seemed to be no issues.

I wondered about that too because even if you used quotes or cite the source, there are caveats in the sources "fine print" that forbid even quoting them even if you quote them as a source.

That's why I prefer to use the hyperlink
(10-03-2013, 10:42 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: I'm wondering about the copyright infringement. What is the proper procedure for posting articles and/or pictures? I hope I'm doing it correctly. I've been doing it the same way since the mtf with what seemed to be no issues.

Most people ignore it but I believe you are supposed to only post a portion of any articles and then link to the rest.
TV is correct. An excerpt is allowed. Legally it's supposed to be a short element or elements out of the article. I confess I often include almost everything in my excerpts, and no one has ever complained, but I think it's technically not legal maybe. Smiling
The complaints wouldn't go to you, they'd go to the owner of the site. But since we usually link back to the original site, it drives traffic back, and most people wouldn't actually object to additional traffic.

The complaints probably come from photographers who don't get credited or linked to or smaller sites who don't realize that the extra traffic could be useful to them.
so back to the question.....
We had moderators?
(10-03-2013, 10:59 AM)PonderThis Wrote: TV is correct. An excerpt is allowed. Legally it's supposed to be a short element or elements out of the article. I confess I often include almost everything in my excerpts, and no one has ever complained, but I think it's technically not legal maybe. Smiling
That is not the case very often anymore. Almost all the articles that I post in their entirety from the Internet have share links. They would not encourage you to share if they did not want the material disseminated. You just need to acknowledge the source.
(10-03-2013, 11:01 AM)csrowan Wrote: The complaints wouldn't go to you, they'd go to the owner of the site. But since we usually link back to the original site, it drives traffic back, and most people wouldn't actually object to additional traffic.

The complaints probably come from photographers who don't get credited or linked to or smaller sites who don't realize that the extra traffic could be useful to them.

Actually Rowan at one time in the past the site owner did complain and specifically axed us to not quote entire stories. It used to be in the rules.
(10-03-2013, 12:24 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(10-03-2013, 10:59 AM)PonderThis Wrote: TV is correct. An excerpt is allowed. Legally it's supposed to be a short element or elements out of the article. I confess I often include almost everything in my excerpts, and no one has ever complained, but I think it's technically not legal maybe. Smiling
That is not the case very often anymore. Almost all the articles that I post in their entirety from the Internet have share links. They would not encourage you to share if they did not want the material disseminated. You just need to acknowledge the source.

What about news for the MMT or any other subscription news source where you have to pay?
Hows about I just C&P the entire MMT everyday and charge half of what they charge?Big Grin
(10-03-2013, 10:32 AM)PonderThis Wrote: What do you mean who were they? They were moderator 1, moderator 2 and Fatty Weasel. Do want to know their real names. Zipped

No, I'd settle for forum names.
[/quote]

FattyWeasel was the first, he was the one who had people outing him and threatening him via Facebook and Twitter.

The other two were simply named "Moderator 1" and "Moderator 2", and while that helped them retain some anonymity, they still both dealt with frequent messages from people claiming they knew who they were.

The people who sent the messages are unknown. They registered new accounts, from likely proxy hosts or open wifi with throwaway emails.